ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Galway

· 
Posted: 23.07.2018  ·  #1
I'm hoping to visit Galway later this week. Opinions of Salthill caravan park on this forum are not flattering, so it would look like Bay View or O'hallorans. Are both these sites still open? I followed a link on another topic here, and the website said the Bayview is now closed. The docks in Galway isn't suitable, so I'm looking for a campsite very close to Galway.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Galway

· 
Posted: 23.07.2018  ·  #2
I’ve heard positive reviews of O Hallorans from campers who have stayed here.

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.07.2018  ·  #3
Actually Salthill caravan park was quite OK when we stayed for a night back in May. I previously swore I'd never go there, but needs must :)

Bayview was my first choice but they dont take campers anymore .. It is a private static site now.

oderto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2018  ·  #4
We stayed at Salthill, as part of the 29 Caravan sites we stayed on, this one ranks towards the end. The site is Ok, you all going to be packed in at the sea front, electricity meaning connections are available, what put us of is the condition of the shower and toilets, and the limited number for the people on site. A colourful Toilethouse does not make the change, one of the two most expensive caravan park in Ireland, and you have to pay for water washing the dishes, advantage, you don’t really want to wash the dishes at that facility. The chemical toilet disposal is at the men’s toilet entrance, and water runs out of it into the entrance.
I would recommend O‘Hallerans.

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2018  ·  #5
Thank you everyone for the advice. We got on to O'hallorans. The site was fine toilets and showers were clean with hot water. There were dish washing facilities outside the toilets , drive over area for servicing the camper and emptying the toilet. 30 euros including EHU. Buses to Galway every 30mins from outside the campsite. Heard reports from other campers that confirmed opinions about Salthill caravan site , very expensive , charged for everything and not a very nice owner. Both sites were full and turning people away from around 3:00, so arrive early. O'hallorans was good, and would recommend if staying in Galway.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2018  ·  #6
We've just spent two nights at Salthill Caravan park, intended checking O'Hallorans, but missed the entrance 😬 The site was ok, as others have said, they packed us in on the seafront, you wouldn't have room for your awning if you wanted it out, and I agree that though the facilities are clean, they are tired. And paying for showers and dishwashing hot water when you are charging €34 for the night is taking the p**s! The only plus is its location but by all accounts O'Hallorans sounds like a better bet. Salthill claims to be a four-star site- what criteria determines this, in France or Spain it would definitely be no more than a 3 star for sure. However I did find the staff to be freindly enough, contrary to other comments so maybe we got lucky. Why oh why can't our councils take the lead of other areas and provide aire facilities!!!

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2018  ·  #7
“claims to be a four-star site- what criteria determines this,”
The star system is a tick box exercise to a large extent you have to provide facilities or a service but it does not matter how functional the facility is or the service provided. An example is a water tap no more than 40 metres from any pitch. But if the tap is at the end of a line with no pressure that would be ok even if it wasn’t fit for purpose.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2018  ·  #8
Quote by kevinmoore

We've just spent two nights at Salthill Caravan park, intended checking O'Hallorans, but missed the entrance 😬 The site was ok, as others have said, they packed us in on the seafront, you wouldn't have room for your awning if you wanted it out, and I agree that though the facilities are clean, they are tired. And paying for showers and dishwashing hot water when you are charging €34 for the night is taking the p**s! The only plus is its location but by all accounts O'Hallorans sounds like a better bet. Salthill claims to be a four-star site- what criteria determines this, in France or Spain it would definitely be no more than a 3 star for sure. However I did find the staff to be freindly enough, contrary to other comments so maybe we got lucky. Why oh why can't our councils take the lead of other areas and provide aire facilities!!!

The following email sent to fireservices@galwaycoco.ie

The six metre rule is often quoted by those representing the interest of caravan an camping park operators. Please see Regulation 2.7 HERE

Having regard to the above Regulation perhaps you would like to investigate the validity of the comments posted on the following discussion forum/topic.php?p=134892#real134892

ColinM
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2018  ·  #9
When we were on O'hallorans, there was a caravan pulled in very close to us, the guy from the office was down very quickly and made him move further away.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2018  ·  #10
Quote by ColinM

When we were on O'hallorans, there was a caravan pulled in very close to us, the guy from the office was down very quickly and made him move further away.

Definitely not the same next door, we were no more than 2M away from our neighbour on either side. Didn't think of this TBH, it's a fair point!

kevin1946
My Motorhome: Elddis Autoquest 400rl
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer 290 MWB
Subject:

Ohallorans

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #11
I stayed 3 nights in late June,I found it good & the girl at reception walked me around and showed me 3 sites to pick from,she suggested one near the toilets with a sea view .It was 30€ a night BUT that seems to be the average price now.
Downings village Doneygall was 30€ in July ,
Bushmills in Belfast was 27£ or 30€ ,
Wicklow in June 30€, Morriscastle July 30€.
Gold Coast resort Waterford in August 6,7,8 30 € a night
It looks like there is PRICE SETTING among the sites
Going to try Kilmore Quat this week

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.