· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #1
This carry on ruins it for everyone.

chalkey

Subject:

Rubbish

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #2
The council are responsible. People have made an effort to dispose or litter correctly but obviously the council have not emptied the bins. This is a knock on effect of privatisation of rubbish collection in Ireland. The same is happening all over ireland and will continue until the local authorities provide the services which are being paid fo. r

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Galway docks

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #3
Quote by chalkey

The council are responsible. People have made an effort to dispose or litter correctly but obviously the council have not emptied the bins. This is a knock on effect of privatisation of rubbish collection in Ireland. The same is happening all over ireland and will continue until the local authorities provide the services which are being paid fo. r

But are the council responsible? In Doonbeg there are a couple of litter bins provided by and paid for by the village. Looking at the litter most was recyclable. If I was faced with a bin like this I would take my litter away with me, and I would not use this type of bin for anything more than a few small things anyway.

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #4
Exactly my sentiments. This rubbish is a discrace and even at home we have to take our bottles to a separate recycle bin in the village these people who left this would not treat their home bins in such a manner or WOULD THEY ??

chalkey

Subject:

Rubbish

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #5
Why should people pay even more taxes and charges I lived and worked for many years in continental Europe
where rubbish segregation and collection are provided through the local authorities. A simple thing would be for either the port of Galway or galway council to provide facilities they already charge enough rates to local buissiness. If no facilities are available then this is one of the thousands of examples of bad practice.

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #6
The picture tells its own story they know how to buy and drink the stuff but they want the servants to pick it up and dispose of it

chalkey

Subject:

Rubbish

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #7
Where are the thousands of euro which are being charged for parking being spent. I clearly see a parking pay station but no sign of recycling facilities.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #8
The more I travel to other countries, the more it appears to me that a lot of us Irish are dirty b#%^ds. Every other jurisdiction can have bins in public areas without some chances deciding he can bin his household rubbish in it and save himself a few bob on his own bin. That just doesn’t seem to happen elsewhere. Therefore the councils decide, rightly or wrongly, to remove the bins to prevent abuse. I’m really forming the opinion that it is an Irish problem

chalkey

Subject:

Rubbish

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #9
Yes we are a nation of many careless people but without facilities and environmental education things will never change. Privatisation of the waste disposal here has only made the problem worse. If recycling facilities were available then this wood be a start. Human nature will always take the easy way out. I have witnesed people disposing of toilet waste from motorhomes into the sea, and also road gullies This was not Irish people but continental people who are far better educated in waste maagement than us the answer is Provide facility's.

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #10
The parking meters are belonging to Galway docks authority. This is a car park, not a campsite or even an aire. The bins are there for street litter.They aren't designed to take the volume of litter being dropped in there by motorhomes The fee for parking overnight is 4 euro, They aren't designed to take the volume of litter being dropped in there by motorhomes. Would it be ok for households to dump any of their rubbish into into street bins. I don't think so. We should take our rubbish home or else go and stay in a campsite where these facilities are provided and paid for. This behaviour is going to ruin it for everyone else. It will be like Ross Castle car park in Killarney where motorhomes can no longer park there because in the words of the park ranger, it was being treated like a campsite.

chalkey

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #11
People taking their rubbish home will never happen. Either here or on the continent human nature will prevail. Provide facilities or put up with the s#### where are the motorhomes dumping the same

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #12
Why should they provide facilities for motorhomes, its car park not an aire, easier for authorities to just stop motorhomes for parking there...and who are the losers in the long run!!

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #13
The interesting thing for me having moved here from Somerset but also living in numerous uk council areas is that you did not pay an individual charge for rubbish all, (well most) households pay a council tax which included rubbish collection irrespective of the amount. And yet fly tipping was prevalent.
As a commercial business I pay per bin per lift including recycling and glass.
In the RoI if your property charge included rubbish collection this could penalise smaller families over those that had loads of rubbish.
I don’t think there is a good answer but when faced with full or small bins take it home.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #14
Quote by Daffysparks

The more I travel to other countries, the more it appears to me that a lot of us Irish are dirty b#%^ds. Every other jurisdiction can have bins in public areas without some chances deciding he can bin his household rubbish in it and save himself a few bob on his own bin. That just doesn’t seem to happen elsewhere. Therefore the councils decide, rightly or wrongly, to remove the bins to prevent abuse. I’m really forming the opinion that it is an Irish problem

Sorry to disagree about this being an Irish problem this just shows what we have here in Somerset, you only have to read the headline and the fine figure.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/…60-1463509

I find it strange (but I suppose expected) that the motorhomes are being blamed is there any proof, in places of high tourist usage (we often see the massive wheelie bins as used for large blocks of flats) and that is just places that don't allow overnight stops (well they are almost non existent in England

In the village where I live its now hard to find a bin and it is spoiling the place again collection has been outsourced.
At home we have to fully sort all our house waste with separate bins each for plastics, paper, tin, cardboard and drinks cartons, glass bottles & jars, batteries and small electrical goods, textile including shoes and clothes these are all to be placed separate in green boxes collected every week, a normal grey bin for the rest and we had the choice of buying another bin for garden waste these two collected every two weeks. The good news is that the council is constantly in the top 3 in the UK for recycling waste which makes it all worthwhile.

Education is what is needed in case you are wondering if our bins are checked by the collection agents they are and if they are not happy or if you overload they don't take and leave a warning notice about the consequences if you continue to abuse.
It must work

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #15
Im sure there are other bad areas, but was in loughshore Belfast Friday and there were bins every 50 yards along the footpath. In Loch Lomond now. Equally bins everywhere. None abused in either place. Loads of people here in tents and camped along the shore. Everyone picking up there rubbish and binning it. If that was at home the bins would miraculously be filled overnight

chalkey

Subject:

Rubish

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #16
I totally agree with recycling. I am refering to motorhome waste management. I areas of high tourist traffic the only answer is to provide facilities. Both toilette waste and also general rubbish. This has to be provided by the authority providing the service be it PARKING, AIRE or campsite,The illusion of tourists from other jurisdictions taking their rubbish home is just that an illusion. Germans French Irish or British will not take rubbish or there waste home. Once again I reiterate the only answer is Provide facilities or don't provide the service. AH SURE IT WILL BE ALRIGHT DON'T CONNT HERE.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #17
Is this really a problem caused by motorhomers. I stayed at the Aire in Bundoran on Thursday and Friday night. Speaking to the guy that runs it he tells me there has been a big problem recently regarding dumping of waste water and rubbish by motorhomes according to the council. This apparently could lead to a complete ban on motorhomes staying overnight apart from designated sites. He tells me that black bags of rubbish have been dumped in various locations. That to me doesn't sound like a motorhome problem. I can never recall being in one place that long to have filled a black bag with rubbish. I would suggest it's households dumping it... possibly holiday rentals. I'm not saying motorhomers aren't responsible for some problems but we're not all irresponsible people.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #18
Why can’t people take there rubbish home I return 90% of my waste home ,ie tins bottles food waste the only thing I dont take back is paper products ,the only time I despose of my waste is if I stay on a site which isn’t often on a site your paying for the use of the bins ,I came across this behaviour in buncranna 3 Motorhomes arrived and tried to shove as much rubbish into a litter bin even after I told them there was a recycling point over the fence ,these people should never be aloud to have a motor home "

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2018  ·  #19
I’m glad some of you see it from where I’m at. I’ve just walked up the docks and there are 3 more bins along the path which are barely used but the person who threw this rubbish didn’t even check to see if there was any partly empty bin to put their waste in It was a “WALK too far “ I guess

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #20
At least those are close to the bin, you'll normally see the rubish all over the place... it's in huge issue, drives me bunkers.

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #21
Every week we see bags of rubbish dumped on the road leading to our offices. It is fairly obvious that someone doesnt want to pay the bin charges and they have found a solution. Then the seagulls move in and the rubbish ends up everywhere. A week doesnt go by without at least 2 bags being dumped.

We went to put some bottles in the bottle bank yesterday and there were bottles stacked on top of the bins and on the ground. I went round to the bins at the back and there was plenty of room. I fail to understand the laziness of people who would rather stack bottles on top of a bin rather than check to see if there is space in the other bins.

Unfortunately, common sense ain't all that common.

norma
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #22
I think it would help if councils who have areas where motorhomes congregate put a sign up with the address of their recycling centre which takes household rubbish.
I think (hope) that most people would take their rubbish and pay for it if they knew where to go. I hope my faith in human nature isn't misplaced!
Having said that, it is a bit of a shock when you come from a country where you can put any rubbish in a street bin to one where you certainly can't!
I also suspect the worst culprits are in rented motorhomes...

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2018  ·  #23
A couple of quick points .
Glass recycling, ignore the coloured bins. Stick your bottles into any glass bin. I have fitted the bodies onto the trucks for the main glass recycler in Ireland and all of the bins are emptied into a singular compartment.
For our out of state visitors, the irish county councils are not in the waste management business for the last 10 years or so. The industry has been privatised with most councils closing their landfill sites. A recent investigation tv programme suggested that up to 20% of our waste could be fly tipped and some by regulated waste management companies.
We are usually in Galway docklands twice or three time a year and have seen the overflowing bins like the photos every time.
Interesting, I will always try to chat to a foreign motorhomer, because I know that they are struggling , been on the wrong side of the road, mr google maps is back answering, the local drunk has turned the signpost backwards, the pro life bird movement disallows hedge cutting for public safety, etc.
From their own forums, the recommendation is to shop in supervalu because each supervalu always has a empty bin outside the front door.
Finally the mh rental sector is a massive problem. 90 % of the poor mh practice that I have witnessed is from rented mh. The boat owners on the shannon have the same comments about the rented shannon cruisers.
Malcolm

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #24
We all love going to Ardmore to Dicks Field. With this fantastic weather and right by the beach, the field must be full of MHs.
I hope most people are bringing home rubbish rather than filling the bins in Ardmore...anybody been recently.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.07.2018  ·  #25
Quote by R&N

We all love going to Ardmore to Dicks Field. With this fantastic weather and right by the beach, the field must be full of MHs.
I hope most people are bringing home rubbish rather than filling the bins in Ardmore...anybody been recently.

Nope....But will be there this coming Friday morning...Our first time there too!

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #26
Quote by joberg

The parking meters are belonging to Galway docks authority. This is a car park, not a campsite or even an aire. The bins are there for street litter.They aren't designed to take the volume of litter being dropped in there by motorhomes The fee for parking overnight is 4 euro, They aren't designed to take the volume of litter being dropped in there by motorhomes. Would it be ok for households to dump any of their rubbish into into street bins. I don't think so. We should take our rubbish home or else go and stay in a campsite where these facilities are provided and paid for. This behaviour is going to ruin it for everyone else. It will be like Ross Castle car park in Killarney where motorhomes can no longer park there because in the words of the park ranger, it was being treated like a campsite.

Taking the rubbish home is not always an option. Think about the foreign tourist or the domestic tourist away from home for a few weeks.
Recyclable and black bag bins should be provided where motorhomes park, but if they are you can bet they would be filled to overflowing by locals trying to minimise or avoid their pay by weight bin charges.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2018  ·  #27
We spent a night at the dock every so often and the rubbish breaks my heart. But, in fairness, I don't think it can all be attributed to motorhomes. I posted here before that we had the pleasure of once staying in Ballintoy Harbour. In the morning, before we left, along comes to women from one of the houses over past the carpark with two large black bags of rubbish. They proceed to try to get them into the bin which, they couldn't and so just left them there. Hopped in their car and drove off. I understand overnight there in a motorhome is now prohibited but I bet people are still allowed to stay in the houses! Same thing is going to happen in Galway sooner or later.

BTW I have also posted that when I stayed on the docks in the past I went around gathering the rubbish in the morning. Two black bags worth last time. Brought them home and put them in my bin. No problem, I carry gloves and a litter picker. Now however, our 'joined up thinking' government has decided that we all should pay by weight so I might need to rethink that one.

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2018  ·  #28
For the first time ever, I stayed at the Galway Docks on Thursday night. We didn't arrive until about 9:00pm and I'd say there were about 9 or 10 MH there.
Bins weren't overflowing or anything. I was actually impressed with the bins that would only take a relatively small rubbish item/bag. I guess to prevent people stuffing in huge black sacks of rubbish. I didn't get the "solar" bit.

All was nice & clean & tidy. I'd have no hesitation going back.

It cost me a fiver, as I'm a lazy sod and didnt leave until 8:45am :)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.