fishy
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Hello, a buyer and finance advice

· 
Posted: 04.07.2018  ·  #1
Hello everyone,

Thanks for having me! First time poster, be gentle :-)

Myself and my OH have been discussing buying either a caravan or MH for a while now and I think we have finally settled on a motorhome. We have seen a few second hand caravans but very few motorhomes.

Are there any dealers this group would recommend going to (or avoiding)? I'm Limerick based if that helps...

What about Finance. Any companies offering HP finance in Ireland or do folk go to their traditional bank or credit union? I've seen a few 10yr HP deals online on new vans but they all seem to be UK based.

I'd also consider buying in the UK and paying the horrible VRT when I get home. Anyone experience of this procedure? How do they typically value the motorhome?

Thanks everyone and I hope to become a frequent visitor over the coming months.

Fishy

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Re: Hello, a buyer and finance advice

· 
Posted: 04.07.2018  ·  #2
Cant really help on the finance end, but any of the dealers on here are sound.
Good luck with your hunt, keep us up to date.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2018  ·  #3
Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2018  ·  #4
Pop up the road to Anchor Point Motorhomes in Birdhill and have a look at what they have. They are a very nice bunch of people and you'll be most welcome to drop in for a coffee and a chat. Can't give any help regarding finance. Don't buy the first one you fancy, get the layout that suits you, sit down everywhere even the toilet, lie on the bed, pretend you're standing cooking, is it going to work for you. Keep asking questions here, the more you ask the more info you'll build up. Good luck with your search.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2018  ·  #5
Cara Motorhomes & Derek Walsh motorhomes are near you but Anchorpoint probably best

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Hello, a buyer and finance advice

· 
Posted: 04.07.2018  ·  #6
Also if you see one parked up that you like the look of ask the owner to show you around , they are a vain lot and like to show off.

fishy
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2018  ·  #7
Quote by sprinter

Also if you see one parked up that you like the look of ask the owner to show you around , they are a vain lot and like to show off.

I got caught checking one out in a car park recently and the owner was delighted with my jealousy. Not brave enough to ask for a tour just yet.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2018  ·  #8
Don't be scared because it's a MH, they look bigger but at the end of the day they're just another vehicle. So, it will be exactly the same as buying a car...

For finance, you have the usual suspects from banks, credit union, etc... sure, you won't be able to just walk to VW and finance straight from there, but you get the point.

At the moment and specially in this weather there'll be fewer MH up on the market and the ones up there will probably be "summer priced". Don't be on a rush, specially if you're buying private. Don't know what model year you are looking for but just in case you go for one of the older ones, make sure that everything is in order and walk away from any sign of mold/damp.

To me, the main thing to look for in MH is the distribution, look at a a few options online and get an idea of where would you like the beds, dining area, kitchen and bathroom to be, the rest is pretty much standard across all MHs. That could make or break your experience and practicality in my humble opinion.

Cheers,
Rami

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.