Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Re: Irish Ferries

· 
Posted: 22.12.2018  ·  #81
Quote by Daffysparks

For the last 2 years, we got across for €400. For 17-18 nights, and with being twenty minutes from Rosslare it was cheap in my view. However, with things looking like they do, I could be re-evaluated after this year. Am booked with Stena at the moment for €660, but I see another discount on offer. Must look into it, when the sun goes down. Roasting here at the moment

David, I had a look earlier
Stena for September with code NEWYEAR25 €376.26. Flexi both ways €392.76.
Rosslare-Cherbourg Thu 05 Sep 2019, 20:30 – 16:0 ( arrival isnt great )
Cherbourg-RosslareSun 22 Sep 2019, 15:00 – 08:15

STIFCO for the same time. €469.80 Flexi both ways 496.80.
Dublin-Cherbourg Wed 04-Sep-19, 16:00 Arrives Thu 05-Sep-19, 11:00.
Cherbourg-Dublin Fri 20-Sep-19, 17:00 Arrives Sat 21-Sep-19, 10:15

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.12.2018  ·  #82
Irish Ferries are now offering 25% off for trips to Gt Britain in 2019,

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.12.2018  ·  #83
Not from Rosslare, they’re not

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.12.2018  ·  #84
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Daffysparks

For the last 2 years, we got across for €400. For 17-18 nights, and with being twenty minutes from Rosslare it was cheap in my view. However, with things looking like they do, I could be re-evaluated after this year. Am booked with Stena at the moment for €660, but I see another discount on offer. Must look into it, when the sun goes down. Roasting here at the moment

David, I had a look earlier
Stena for September with code NEWYEAR25 €376.26. Flexi both ways €392.76.
Rosslare-Cherbourg Thu 05 Sep 2019, 20:30 – 16:0 ( arrival isnt great )
Cherbourg-RosslareSun 22 Sep 2019, 15:00 – 08:15

STIFCO for the same time. €469.80 Flexi both ways 496.80.
Dublin-Cherbourg Wed 04-Sep-19, 16:00 Arrives Thu 05-Sep-19, 11:00.
Cherbourg-Dublin Fri 20-Sep-19, 17:00 Arrives Sat 21-Sep-19, 10:15

Cheers Martin. Will look into that, when I get fed up of €1 pints.

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2018  ·  #85
Yes we are really gutted this year to miss France. Irish Ferries will continue to charge the price the punter will pay, but not this punter. France is such a beautiful county and the fun we’ve had visiting with the kids over the last few years has been immense. However the trend on ferry prices I’ve noticed has being heading northwards and it has crossed our line. No harm though, we live on a stunning island, with such beauty, great people with a unique sense of humor and the famous Cead Míle Fáilte we all love. Anyway, we are really overdue to Craic meet at this stage…. :happy:

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2018  ·  #86
Quote by Stacks

Yes we are really gutted this year to miss France. Irish Ferries will continue to charge the price the punter will pay, but not this punter. France is such a beautiful county and the fun we’ve had visiting with the kids over the last few years has been immense. However the trend on ferry prices I’ve noticed has being heading northwards and it has crossed our line. No harm though, we live on a stunning island, with such beauty, great people with a unique sense of humor and the famous Cead Míle Fáilte we all love. Anyway, we are really overdue to Craic meet at this stage…. :happy:

Totally agree, We are also pulling the plug on France this year, We went there every year for years and missed 2016 and 2017 for un avoidable reasons, we returned this year and couldn’t believe how expensive it has got since we were last there, coupled with that we spent a Lot of money doing things to the van that we wouldn’t do if we toured Ireland eg. the vans original Battery was still in it 10 years later in perfect condition but knowing the age of it I didn’t want to spoil the holiday so I changed it,we replaced other things like that too that I wouldn’t bother if we stayed in Ireland, all of this work added to the cost of going to France. I think if I was taking the van abroad again I would need a longer break and head straight to Spain, we found it much cheaper than France this year.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2018  ·  #87
No two ways about it ferry travel is expensive but if you like to experience the continent then it is just a cost that you have to factor in. I think its great for kids to see other parts of Europe as well and give them a taste for travel so that when they do it themselves they won’t be clueless. Three weeks is minimum in my view or you’d feel pressured for time with the distances involved. We just booked Cork -Santander this year as we have gone through France for most of the previous trips with camper or staying in mobile homes and it’s time for a change, we loved Northern Spain when we went two years ago so time to see more of it without the slog down through the French Atlantic peages. The more routes are opened the better so it’s sad to see Rosslare being sidelined like this but things are so uncertain at present that I’m not surprised that a certain amount of consolidation is occurring. Who knows what is going to happen in the future is anyone’s guess at this point. The reason Celtic link started was because there was only one route out of Rosslare and no competition so you may see other companies setting out their stalls as well.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2018  ·  #88
Quote by JJF

And there’s nothing like Ireland when the weather is good, we had done smashing extended weekends in 2018 and looking forward to more next year.....
but it has to be said, we really do enjoy the continental trips away.... weather/food/sights/experiences are all special.

Yes Jon, it's definitely a conundrum, touring at home, for us, is like extended days out, but on the continent, there are so many challenges and experiences. Having said that, we're just doing Scotland and Ireland next year, so that we can gather up some diesel money for Greece in 2020.
I do agree with Ally though, you need to have the time to make European trips justifiable.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2018  ·  #89
Last Halloween I priced a Stena crossing from Belfast to Scotland. Two hours twenty minute crossing.

It was £4 cheaper for me to take the family with Stena to France from Rosslare.... including a cabin each way. 20 hour crossing.

Guess where we went?

My wife asked me to book next years Motorhome holiday to France.... no way. It would be cheaper to do an all inclusive to the Med. ferry is just too bloody expensive.

Not impressed.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2018  ·  #90
Still relatively new to this motorhome lark, but I just compare the cost of the ferry and touring France with the cost of 2 weeks in a hotel in Minorca through a travel agent. Just sorry we didn't start this 20 years ago.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2018  ·  #91
Well myself the missus and dog are booked for France in May on the W.B. All coming in under €400. I’m not complaining. Sorry, just trying to bring a bit of balance back into this conversation. A good deal as far as I’m concerned

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2018  ·  #92
That is good value. But.... it would stick in my craw to drive to Dublin and then sail by my house, some 7-8 hours after I left, just to save a few bob. I understand most people are not from the south east, and couldn’t give a flying f#%k where the ferry left from. But for me... it’s a point of principle, if Wexford is not good enough for Irish Ferries,... well, then, Irish Ferries are not good enough for me

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2018  ·  #93
Well we have spent the last few days mulling over France or no France.
I am stuck with holidays from work for the 2 weeks prior to the August bank holiday weekend, and with a bit of tweaking with work, I could stretch a trip out to 17 or 18 days in total including ferry time, but still it is peak travelling time.
Pricing on the 3 routes, sailing on Saturday 20th July and returning on either 6 or 7th of August while the cheapest 4 bunk cabin included as follows.
- Irish Ferries from Dublin /Cherbourg €1194.30 including 10% discount.
-Stena from Rosslare /Cherbourg €1172.
-Brittany from Cork/Roscoff €1292.
While we are base in Co. Laois, all 3 ports can be hit within 2 hours from home.

Last years trip was less than €900 from Rosslare for similar travelling dates.

I reckon that the geographic political situation around Brexit has led to the massive price increases.

At the moment we are not going to book a french trip, but monitor the situation. If prices drop below the €1000 mark, we may re access the trip.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Irish Ferries

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #94
Quote by The Rambler

Well myself the missus and dog are booked for France in May on the W.B. All coming in under €400. I’m not complaining. Sorry, just trying to bring a bit of balance back into this conversation. A good deal as far as I’m concerned

Jason. Can you post the detail's I can't find a fare that low without the kennel.
If I can get a fare under €400 I'll book it also.
I paid €367 this May /June.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #95
Quote by The Rambler

At face value that would seem ok,but for me the robbery is that I cannot get away until July. I would say that it would be a safe bet that you could multiply that figure between 2 and 3 times.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #96
I have forwarded you on some details there Martin. Full disclosure, but my fare which comes in under 400 does include the 150 euro Irish Ferries refund voucher from last year's fiasco.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #97
Quote by The Rambler

I have forwarded you on some details there Martin. Full disclosure, but my fare which comes in under 400 does include the 150 euro Irish Ferries refund voucher from last year's fiasco.

So was it €550 or €400?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #98
Yes it was €545. With €150 voucher applied i paid €495.

MickyMac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Giottiline T38
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #99
Have just booked IF for one way only in August.

The fare was €360ish last year for a cancelled WBY sailing. Same date this year with same cabin was €509! Conveniently a €150 difference, same as the goodwill gesture.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #100
IF are no doses and don’t give anything away for nothing? 😝

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #101
We're planning to head off to mainland Europe again in late May or very early June and back in mid-October.
Last night I check IF, Stenna & BF for prices got the following:
IF were about €480 inc. cabins
Stenna were about €605 inc. cabins
BF were about €585 inc. cabins

Being in Cork the saving on diesel and tolls by not going to IF in Dublin makes BF an attractive option, for the first time.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #102
I'm surprised at BF being so cheap ,that's the one I'd go for too

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #103
Quote by baguette

We're planning to head off to mainland Europe again in late May or very early June and back in mid-October.

Being in Cork the saving on diesel and tolls by not going to IF in Dublin makes BF an attractive option, for the first time.

Was the Brittany prices for the economy Connamara or the luxury Pont Avon, Colin?
We sailed on the Pont Avon the very first time we went to France, Booked it only Three or Four weeks before we sailed and got a good price, we returned with Celtic link, Their prices have been off the Radar since.

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2019  ·  #104
Just booked France travelling with Stena. No more Irish Ferries for us. I drive a truck for a living and got caught in a traffic jam because of the road works around Naas before Christmas. The journey from junction 14 to my destination took 3 hours normally less than 1 hour.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2019  ·  #105
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by baguette

Was the Brittany prices for the economy Connamara or the luxury Pont Avon, Colin?
We sailed on the Pont Avon the very first time we went to France, Booked it only Three or Four weeks before we sailed and got a good price, we returned with Celtic link, Their prices have been off the Radar since.

Connemara out and Pont Avon back

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2019  ·  #106
Quote by thepilote

Just booked France travelling with Stena. No more Irish Ferries for us. I drive a truck for a living and got caught in a traffic jam because of the road works around Naas before Christmas. The journey from junction 14 to my destination took 3 hours normally less than 1 hour.

Now I know I'm a bit slow on it but why "no more Irish Ferries for us"?

Is there a connection between Irish Ferries and the roadworks at Naas?

thepilote
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2019  ·  #107
Sorry for late reply. Anyone travelling from the south to Dublin port should allow a few hours extra because of the road works. Rosslare is more convenient for us, with Irish Ferries not going from there it will be Stena from now on. Cork would be best but there is a difference of e270.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #108
I'm 35 miles from Dublin but I'd rather drive the 100 miles to Rosslare than spend an extra 2 hours on the ferry but that's a personal choice
PS what a waste of a new road to Rosslare from Dublin, no container traffic and ferry traffic dwindling 😡

thepilote
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #109
Parts of the road from cork to rosslare have been upgraded with the new ross bypass bring built all to make it easier to get there.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Irish Ferries

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #110
Quote by thepilote

Parts of the road from cork to rosslare have been upgraded with the Newross bypass bring built all to make it easier to get there.

Anyone know who runs the NRA? If you do, could you introduce them to the rest of Government particularly mmmm-minster Rrrr-oss.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #111
For us, the €100 fare saving which IF presents over BF would be well eaten up by the cost of travelling return from Cork to Dublin Port.
Aside from the cost saving, there is a driving time saving of probably 10 hours plus a sailing time saving of 10 hours for a return trip.

At current ferry prices, it looks like anyone in Munster is better served by BF from both cost and time points of view.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #112
Our summer plans were put into focus over the weekend.
Our eldest lad has his confirmation in March and was asked last week about what his would he like from his auld pair of over protective parents.
He rocks into the kitchen on Saturday and announces that a trip to France on the new boat would be his wish.
I can't complain at all with his choice. Better that a couple of hundred quid spent on computers games.
Booked Irish Ferries yesterday, Dublin / Cherbourg for nearly 20 nights in Europe.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2019  ·  #113
Hope you have a great trip, and enjoy the new Ship. Can’t see myself using IF again tbh. Hopefully a new operator will move into Rosslare. It will be tough for businesses in Roscoff now as well. IF must be a big loss to them as well.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2019  ·  #114
BF are still using Roscoff so may not be as badly affected as Rosslare.
Stena are still sailing out of Rosslare though.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2019  ·  #115
Stena are indeed, as are IF, albeit to Wales only. Even with BF going to Roscoff, I’d still imagine all the Paddies arriving in Roscoff to buy their wine, will be missed big time

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2019  ·  #116
Hopefully the o Flaherty bros buy another ferry and start a route out of Rosslare again

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2019  ·  #117
Quote by Daffysparks

Hope you have a great trip, and enjoy the new Ship. Can’t see myself using IF again tbh. Hopefully a new operator will move into Rosslare. It will be tough for businesses in Roscoff now as well. IF must be a big loss to them as well.

There is a few things at play with Irish Ferries operating out of Rosslare and Roscoff.
Irish Ferries is rumoured to have cheaper docking fees in Dublin and Cherbourg than the other 2 ports.
In fact, for them to gain access to Roscoff, years ago, they took a case to the European commission on the unfair trading practice principle, which the commission upheld, but then the Roscoff horsed on the charges to dock.
As I have said before, the ownership of Rosslare Europort are not very business dynamic. They are more interested in preserving a status co from years ago.
However the big elephant in the room is Brexit. Everyone is ready to stretch out their greasy paw for some EU compo to soften the blow.
After all WB Yeats is financed by a 50% loan from the European investment bank.
Unfortunately with all big business, until the geopolitical situation calms down, we the customers don't get an opinion.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Irish Ferries

· 
Posted: 12.01.2019  ·  #118
Quote by mad max

Hopefully the o Flaherty bros buy another ferry and start a route out of Rosslare again

That would be great until the big Boy's offer them more money then they can turn down,like the last time. and then close down the service.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2019  ·  #119
Thats what I mean Martin,
It would keep Rosslare to Cherbourg route going for another few years until the buy out again,
Make even more €€ for the Flaherty Bros again,

There must be very little profit out of ferries or else Michael o Leary would have had a tub by now,

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Irish Ferries

· 
Posted: 12.01.2019  ·  #120
Quote by mad max

That's what I mean Martin,

There must be very little profit out of ferries or else Michael o Leary would have had a tub by now,

Are you kidding me this is from the group financial statement?

Non Statutory Income Statement Information

2017---2016--- 2015 ---2014 --2013
Profit before taxation
8 7.7-- 6 0.4-- 5 4.1-- 5 6.7--- 2 3.7--
Ta xa tio n
(4.4)-- (1.6)-- (0.4)-- ( 0.7 )-- (0.4)
Profit from continuing operations
8 3.3-- 5 8.8-- 5 3.7-- 5 6.0-- 2 3.3
Profit for the year
8 3.3--5 8.8--5 3.7--5 6.0---26.8
Figures in Euro Millions.
you will notice profits between 2013 and 2017 increased by 300%. not bad fot a forign national.

RIP OFF THE CUSTOMER MAKE BIGS EUROS.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.