panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Recommend me a Smart Phone please in 300 euro range

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #1
With such a bewildering amount of choices on the market and all the tech jargon that comes with it....I dont know what to go for? There are no models on my radar but must be Android, Wife had a iphone and hated it seemingly. Anyway, I currently have a simple 25 euro phone but wanting to get Motorhome parking Ireland app so need smartphone thats capable of running it with no issues....Cheers all

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Recommend me a Smart Phone please in 300 euro range

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #2
You could probably pick up a OnePlus 5 for that money as the 6 is coming out soon.

An amazing phone and extremely fast!

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #3
Quote by Ally

You could probably pick up a OnePlus 5 for that money as the 6 is coming out soon.

An amazing phone and extremely fast!

Will check that out Ally.....Thanks!

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #4
My wife, son and daughter have all got the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and they swear by them. That make is described as the Chinese Apple I don’t know anything about phones so cannot comment myself

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #5
Get a Nokia 3310 4G for about €100 or so (due out shortly) and use the wifi hotspot to run an android tablet (or Ipad). 30 day battery life on the phone and you can view the app better on a tablet.

Haven't opened my fathers day presents yet but I've dropped enough hints

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #6
There are a few options to examine.
Firstly new or second hand. CEX are a chain of second hand exchange / trade in electronic tech across the country and have a goog variety of stock.
They have a few samsung J6 and Huawei (2017 model) for just over €200, and both have 16 Gb of memory.
A popular brand is proven in is ability to download and work apps and generally update themselves without any problems.
Memory is important, personally 16 Gb or more is what will be needed in the next couple of years to cope with the simple tasks.
I see that your motivation is to use the mh ireland parking app on the go.
Did you ever hear of hot spotting a phone. It's a setting when turned on allows a tablet/ laptop to connect to your phone via wifi and then use the phone signal to connect to the Internet.
This is the system that I use because I hate the small fiddly phone screens but prefer a 10" tablet instead.
Just a few thoughts,
Malcolm

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #7
Lot's of great recommendations lads...Thanks!...

Ok...Eamonn and Malcolm may have the solution I need. I would prefer to be using the app on a Android tablet, I have shovel hands! So a question....I thought tablets have wifi built in so why do I need to " Hotspot " with a phone? Excuse my ignorance lads...bit of a Dinosaur when it comes to this type of tech. Also, I thought the MHP app was available to use offline once downloaded? If that's the case, Is a Tablet really what I need then...yes or no? Due to my work, a decent phone would be ruined in no time ( I do bodywork and auto painting ). Hence the reason I use 25 euro phones...

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #8
Quote by panda

So a question....I thought tablets have wifi built in so why do I need to " Hotspot " with a phone? Excuse my ignorance lads...bit of a Dinosaur when it comes to this type of tech. Also, I thought the MHP app was available to use offline once downloaded? If that's the case, Is a Tablet really what I need then...yes or no?

Tablets that take a SIM card will work on their own, but one that doesn't needs tethered to a device that does. The WiFi in a tablet without a SIM needs to connect to a device with a Internet data connection.

The App works offline if you have no signal, but to get the most out of it you need a device that connects to the internet so that it can update daily, or at least every few days.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #9
Ok....Good explanation Ally....Cheers

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #10
The only reason that I suggested tethering or hopspotting the tablet to your phone, it allows you access to the forum while out and about.
When driving or more accurately wandering around in the mh, our navigator cross reference our next stop, while a map, the parking app and a search here to find the most up to date info.
This becomes more important for Europe, because apps like camper contact are massive ( 24000 stops with pictures ) in comparison to mh parking Ireland.
Malcolm

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #11
Quote by Thorn123

The only reason that I suggested tethering or hopspotting the tablet to your phone, it allows you access to the forum while out and about.
When driving or more accurately wandering around in the mh, our navigator cross reference our next stop, while a map, the parking app and a search here to find the most up to date info.
This becomes more important for Europe, because apps like camper contact are massive ( 24000 stops with pictures ) in comparison to mh parking Ireland.
Malcolm

Great info Malcolm and hotspotting makes perfect sense now to get the most out of it....Thanks!

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #12
Go to hotukdeals.com

Input a search term like android phone or phablet.

I find the descriptions and comments helpful.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2018  ·  #13
For the working day, get a blue tooth ear piece mic. Some had a range 20 to 30 metres from the handset. Leave the phone is a safer place and answer your calls from the ear piece.
Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.