Autotrail with on the ball bike rack ?

Have you seen it done?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #1
I am in the process of getting a tow bar for the motorhome. I was going to go for the PWS type LIKE THIS but I only want to use if for a ball mounted bike carrier LIKE THIS and I think it will add unnecessary length to the van.

My question is does any craicer have an Autotrail (with rear mounted spare wheel) who have a flange type towbar LIKE THIS and can get bikes on a carrier without the spare wheel being in the way.

Long shot I know.

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

Re: Autotrail with on the ball bike rack ?

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #2
Hi Mark, whilst I don't have an Autotrail motorhome, I do have a rear mounted spare wheel and I use a towball mounted bike carrier. I have overcome the problem of the spare wheel by using a "three bike carrier" and leave the inner rack clear. this gives enough clearance for the bikes to be mounted on the two outer carriers. Maybe this solution could work for you also.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #3
Quote by Stoney

Hi Mark, whilst I don't have an Autotrail motorhome, I do have a rear mounted spare wheel and I use a towball mounted bike carrier. I have overcome the problem of the spare wheel by using a "three bike carrier" and leave the inner rack clear. this gives enough clearance for the bikes to be mounted on the two outer carriers. Maybe this solution could work for you also.

Thanks for the reply. That is a possibility. I had sort of considered the three bike option but am really trying to stay as short as possible. I have spoken to a guy who sells the carriers and would let me try both.
Need to get a towbar first. LOL

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #4
I seen "Chausson" setup for a folding chassis mounted bike rack a few weeks ago. He will probably be along in a while and may explain it better.
Basically it would stand flush with the rear of the mh when not in use but then it drop down level with two plastic wing nuts locking into position. It looked very neat and tidy.
Malcolm

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #5
[/quote]
[/quote]

I know you will have done your homework, but a towbar is going to be a very expensive option for carrying 2 bikes. Surely there is a bike rack that has been designed for a van with a rear spare tyre.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #6
Quote by Thorn123

I seen "Chausson" setup for a folding chassis mounted bike rack a few weeks ago. He will probably be along in a while and may explain it better.
Basically it would stand flush with the rear of the mh when not in use but then it drop down level with two plastic wing nuts locking into position. It looked very neat and tidy.
Malcolm

I will be interested to see what Pat has done as I have considered making a chassis mounted carrier to eliminate the need for purchasing a towbar.

Quote by Mark&Wendy

[/quote]

I know you will have done your homework, but a towbar is going to be a very expensive option for carrying 2 bikes. Surely there is a bike rack that has been designed for a van with a rear spare tyre.
[/quote]

I wouldn't be happy mounting the bike on the back panel as the two electric bikes have a combined weight of 42kg without the batteries.
You are right about the price of tow bars. Getting crazy quotes.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #7
I priced a towbar for our chausson, 2 years ago and got only one estimation starting at €1000 depending on x, y and z and so on.
In the end I fabricated one in work but it was 8 hours of labour, and then to get the engineering cert was €100 from a registered auto engineer.
The material used didn't cost €50, but I am more than happy with the results.
Malcolm

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2018  ·  #8
I now have everything ordered and have a new question.

What cover do others use with bike on a ball mounted rack?
The Fiamma covers will not do as the opening is on the side which faces the van.
Any ideas?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2018  ·  #9
Have a look at the size of the covers for patio table set or BBQ covers you get in Lidl/Aldi

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

Bike Rack cover

· 
Posted: 20.06.2018  ·  #10
I got one last year for towbar bike rack and it’s very good. It was pricey though but with electric bikes I thought I’d splurge. It was tied with nylon cord and plastic spring toggles which was a bit cumbersome. This year I changed it to a bungee type cord and a stronger type of toggle and it’s much easier to put on and tighten.
https://bags4everything.co.uk/…-material/

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2018  ·  #11
the last two Fiamma covers I have had never quite fit right even with the 4 bike option it barely covered two. I am not sure if it is Silverscreens or Taylor Made who make bike covers but one of them does and they do an electric bike version. Failing that a motorbike cover would do the trick with plenty of bungee cords to keep it in tight to stop balooning

Quote by mark

I now have everything ordered and have a new question.

What cover do others use with bike on a ball mounted rack?
The Fiamma covers will not do as the opening is on the side which faces the van.
Any ideas?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2018  ·  #12
Thanks is for the replies.

The bags4everything cover looks like just the job. Thanks lookaround

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2018  ·  #13
Quote by Thorn123

Malcolm

Just after seen your post now Malcolm, I was talking to Mark during the week and was puzzled how he knew about our Bike rack :lol:
It is Branded Memo and it works very well, they also do a lot of other Motorhome accessories.......

https://www.memo-europe.nl/en/bike-carrier-1

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.06.2018  ·  #14
Ha, ha. This is what happens when you park in front of a fella.
In fairness your bike rack is one of the neastest and most simple mechanism for folding away. This is especially so when parking in short bays like Galway dock, remove the bikes and chain them to a barrier, fold up the rack and park up in a few moments.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

on Autotrail with on the ball bike rack ?

· 
Posted: 21.06.2018  ·  #15
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by Thorn123

Malcolm

Just after seen your post now Malcolm, I was talking to Mark during the week and was puzzled how he knew about our Bike rack :lol:
It is Branded Memo and it works very well, they also do a lot of other Motorhome accessories.......

I am intrigued which one is it photos please or the ref from the above site ,had a look there is some great rack ideas. I have one that folds out with the bikes on it,to open the doors, but its very big when empty.

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2018  ·  #16
Try Decathlon Mark, they do the 'bTwin' range of bicycles and accessories. They have a cover that easily covers two bikes and comes in at about £20. I use one of these and find it to be quite durable and it also weighs practically nothing, and, when folded into it's bag it will almost fit in your pocket.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.06.2018  ·  #17
Quote by Stoney

Try Decathlon Mark, they do the 'bTwin' range of bicycles and accessories. They have a cover that easily covers two bikes and comes in at about £20. I use one of these and find it to be quite durable and it also weighs practically nothing, and, when folded into it's bag it will almost fit in your pocket.

Thanks will have another look.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2018  ·  #18
Quote by sprinter

Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by Thorn123

Malcolm

I am intrigued which one is it photos please or the ref from the above site ,had a look there is some great rack ideas. I have one that folds out with the bikes on it,to open the doors, b plateut its very big when empty.

I would think our one started life as the €750 one, it appeared to be modified for the previous owner with a aluminum checkered plate platform placed on it to take a mobility scooter, I further modified it by removing the platform and lowering it by 120mm to enable Two bikes fit under a back Fiamma box that i fitted to an existing rear wall mounted bike rack frame, I used the bike mounts of the top bike rack on the Memo Chassis rack. Sounds confusing, I will send Ally a photo on whats app and he might attach it to this post.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #19
Almost sorted.

Towbar and bike rack bought and fitted today. Ordering a cover from bags4everything tonight.

Thanks for all the help.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #20
Looks great, Mark :up:
Must look into getting a Bike cover for our own one too..

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2018  ·  #21
Very tidy job.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.