Underside of table

Broken catch keeps collapsing our camper van table

DucatoDuff
Craic'er
Subject:

Underside of table

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #1
Hi, hoping someone can help me chase down a part that I cannot find anywhere - a table catch. I have 2005 Fiat Ducato, Rollerteam camper van. The kitchen table is small but has a catch underneath, photo below. A table leg which pivots in the middle, slots into this catch.

The problem is that the plastic on the catch is broken. When the leg slots in as per normal, any weight on the table at all means that the plastic gives way and the table collapses (usually with food and drink on it!) - the leg unfolds. The leg wouldnt unfold if the plastic wasnt broken. So I need this part - the table underside catch. Looked on a ton of different websites and cannot see anything like this particular one.
Does anyone know where I can get one of these?
thanks
Dan

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Underside of table

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #2
I'd say you will need a new leg , try Donaghys

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Underside of table

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #3
you could try Eastcoastcampers.

Have you a photo of the complete leg assy it may help

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #4
DucatoDuff
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #5
Hi, thanks everyone. My understanding from someone that looked at it is that the leg itself is a folding leg, and it looks fine. The leg just slots into this part which is screwed into the underside of the table. The leg wouldnt collapse if the plastic on the catch wasnt broke, it would just fit in snugly. In terms of contacting the Roller Team, I had a bit of a look on how to do this but couldnt figure out how to contact them, but will have another look.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #6
Quote by DucatoDuff

In terms of contacting the Roller Team, I had a bit of a look on how to do this but couldnt figure out how to contact them, but will have another look.

Try Abbey Caravans in Belfast. They are Roller Team dealers.
Mention you got the info on Motorhome craic if you call them.

http://www.abbey-caravans.com

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #7
Hi Ducato Duff
I just saw your post.
From your photo the leg holder looks like a very mini sink, so if you removed it and applied some super glue in the crack and then tightened a cable tie around it, it may well hold. You may have to cut a little notch out of the underside of the table to allow for the extra size of the cable tie. Worth trying.
Good luck.

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2018  ·  #8
This is exactly the same as our Fiat Tribute folding leg catch. I'm usually good at finding stuff on Google but this has me stumped. Can't find it anywhere! Not that it's much help to you, but we'll be a bit more careful with our table leg and the catch, in case the plastic on ours goes. We usually use these guys for accessories and spare bits http://www.dorviccaravans.co.uk/ - might be worth posting a photo on their FAcebook page of you use it and see if they could even give you an idea where to source it. Good luck! Small, but vital part!

DucatoDuff
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #9
thanks everyone for this and its interesting that someone else had the issue also. Talk about vital part! On long journeys the kids throw their heads on it to fall asleep and it collapses. If I put a lot of food/plates on to it - it collapses. For such a small part it has big impact! We have actually removed the table completely as it is a waste of time without this being fixed...
In the photo you can see tie wraps attached, I did try them but I see what you mean regarding cutting the notch.
Thanks for the websites and locations to check - will do this and report back if I am successful ..thanks again

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #10
IKEA do an adjustable leg for their range of desks. This is the top fitting. Might do as a replacement if the length range was suitable.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Underside of table

· 
Posted: 15.06.2018  ·  #11
Quote by DucatoDuff

thanks everyone for this and its interesting that someone else had the issue also. Talk about vital part! On long journeys the kids throw their heads on it to fall asleep and it collapses. If I put a lot of food/plates on to it - it collapses. For such a small part it has big impact! We have actually removed the table completely as it is a waste of time without this being fixed...
In the photo you can see tie wraps attached, I did try them but I see what you mean regarding cutting the notch.
Thanks for the websites and locations to check - will do this and report back if I am successful ..thanks again

Take it off the table and bring it to someone who could weld up a rectangle sleeve to go over the plastic in the same way as the tie wraps. Tight enough to close the gap,secure it to the plastic with a pop rivet or screw.

DucatoDuff
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2018  ·  #12
Hi Mark&Wendy. thanks for the picture you sent on. I think if this was just a permanent table then the fitting you sent would be ideal. But the table leg pivots, to half in size. The table then becomes a base for one more bed. So the specific part seems to be required.
I have spoken to Abbey Caravans, and they have send my photo to the main guys in Rollerteam. The downside to this is that they are saying a whole new assembly, including leg, may be required, which is a bit mad really, considering the leg is fine, its just the plastic clip thats broke. It is such a small part and could be talking £50-60.
Mark&Wendy, the assemby photo you provided - is this an adjustable leg or is it just one length? Does anyone know can you buy a "generic" table clip with a leg that can adjust size? thanks

DucatoDuff
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2018  ·  #13
MattMobile3 - what do you think of this particular part?
Link to alternative table leg/catch

It also seems to fold and is adjustable? As long as it is within the range of sizes required? Looked last night at our table again and the current leg doesnt seem to play a big part in turning the area into a bed - the wooden table itself is supported by the seats when being turned into a bed - the leg doesnt have any part to play int the support. Therefore, the above leg could do the trick. What do you think?

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2018  ·  #14
Quote by DucatoDuff

Mark&Wendy, the assemby photo you provided - is this an adjustable leg or is it just one length? Does anyone know can you buy a "generic" table clip with a leg that can adjust size? thanks

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/pro…-10264302/

60-90cm and £10 in Belfast store. The leg can be unscrewed but this might be a pain every time you need to make the bed.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2018  ·  #15
https://www.amazon.co.uk/chrom…+table+leg
Here is another idea. The example in the link in an expensive chrome finish but painted options are available at cheaper prices. This is the old system used to support tables before plastic took over.
However to convert the table into a bed, you would need to order a second leg and cut it to a half length to support the bed.
There is a little bit of engineering involved but it would permanently end the table collapsing.
Malcolm

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.06.2018  ·  #16
I think this is the kind of leg in your van the only difference is mine is screwed to the bottom of the table and doesn’t come of just folds in the middle to let you make up the bed you could try caravan breakers
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.06.2018  ·  #17
Try leisureshopdirect in there search box type table legs they have a good range of parts if I was you I would buy new and not go down the repair road

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.06.2018  ·  #18
Leisureshopdirect product ref 253364 was £54.00 now £44.40 hopes this helps 👍

DucatoDuff
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.06.2018  ·  #19
Hi. A quick update - Abbey Caravans have sourced the part required. There will be a bit of too-ing and fro-ing getting the part down to me, as they dont accept card payments and they dont normally post, so bit of work to do. But when I get it I will update- as someone was saying they have the exact same issue with the exact same part. Thanks to everyone for your help with this.

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.06.2018  ·  #20
Hi Ducato Duff,

Sorry, I'm just catching up this morning on the forum. Our fixing hasn't broken (yet!) and, having inspected it for weaknesses, it's not exactly the same - it is the same shape and it's the same idea, it's just a lot more sturdy than yours. Maybe they realised there was an issue with it and they made it stronger? That part on ebay looks like it would be a good replacement - it folds and it can be adjusted to size easily. The only thing is, you can't reomove it.
Very glad you were able to source the part! Sorry I wasn't of more help.

DucatoDuff
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2018  ·  #21
Hi. They found the part in Abbey Caravans - for this small little bit of plastic, they are charging £35 + £20 to deliver. I am having a hard time with they idea of paying £55 - about €63 - for this. Should I consider other options or just suck it up? It is a lot for such a small (though important) part

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2018  ·  #22
I had a similar issue with the plastic part that held our table onto the wall in our chausson a few years ago.
When travelling, if a row erupted between the inheritance prince and princess, the table broke free with bits of plastic everywhere. The part was €15 in Italy, however when an irish importer received it the price had grown to €35. Then I had a choice of a another €10 on a courier or €20 on diesel to collect.
In the end I folded 2mm steel into a shape that has made the table, sibling proof.
Sometimes the rear section of mh need to be as strong as a horse transporter.
Malcolm

DucatoDuff
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2018  ·  #23
Yea I am looking to see if I can get a DIY solution as well. Its a lot for a very small part. May have to suck it up though if it doesnt work ....
thanks

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2018  ·  #24
What part of the world are you at. Maybe someone could pick it up and save on the postage, and meet somewhere in the middle.

DucatoDuff
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2018  ·  #25
Hi, thanks for the advice. I am going to have one quick DIY effort and if that doesnt work, I am going to suck it up and pay down the wads ...thanks for your help everyone.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.