barry
My Motorhome: Hymer B564
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 290
Subject:

Engine change on 1992 Hymer, Ducato base

· 
Posted: 07.06.2018  ·  #1
Hi all,

Just signed up to the forum, finally got a camper van a few weeks back and had a couple of nice weekends away.

Then my engine blew up, looks like either valve clearance was too much and camshaft cracked, then shattered shim and bucket, caused cam belt to jump and totaled the head, OR, the cam belt was fitted with timing out and the reverse happened! But either way I have a replacement engine on the way and have to fit it...

Does anyone one have any pointers on removing and replacing the engine on a 1992 Hymer B564? It's the SOFIM 2.5D engine 8144.67 and I can figure that I need to drop the engine and box, rebuild and put it back in the same way but I'm having awful trouble finding any guidance. I bought the Russek manual for Ducato/J5 from 1982 but that doesn't cover the 8144.67 engine and I'm loathe to keep buying them until I find the right one!

I've found a few fragments of info out on the web (many on this very forum) but nothing definitive on actual processes or useful tips.

Any and all help appreciated ;-)

Barry

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

Re: Engine change on 1992 Hymer, Ducato base

· 
Posted: 10.06.2018  ·  #2
hi just seen your query now, it sounds from your description that your on an a-class base and if so access will be tight, also the little russek manual is about the only one out there. i think if you drop engine and gearbox together probably will be the way to go, did you manage to get a replacement engine or are you redoing its own engine? if your fitting a replacement one dont forget to fit a new timingbelt and water pump before installation, also consider a new clutch kit.

barry
My Motorhome: Hymer B564
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 290
Subject:

Slowly, slowly

· 
Posted: 10.06.2018  ·  #3
I have a replacement engine coming, hopefully tomorrow.

I've been slowly stripping, most things disconnected, ready to pull the drive shafts. Everything takes so much longer without a pit and/or impact gun! I'm still pondering how to lift her high enough to slide the engine out, I have now ~0.5m clearance but I need > 0.8m

The russek manual is better than nothing, the fact that it doesn't cover the 8144.67 engine used from 90-94, coupled with the fact that they forgot to include some of the diagrams which they reference in the text make it more of a guide than a manual though...

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2018  ·  #4
great stuff keep it going the drive shaft hub nuts are super tight also if you are removing drive shafts from the gearbox they recomend to replace the oil seals in the gearbox before replacing the shafts, so maybe think about breaking them at the cv joint.
getting the clearence is going to be fun! maybe you can hire acouple of truck axle stands? best of luck.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2018  ·  #5
I seen once of a guy placing the axel stands under the chassis inline with the door handles. Then order to get more clearance, he removed the rear wheel and let the backend down onto timbers. By dropping the back, the front counter levered uowards. However it was the stability of the van ( or lack of) that caught my attention.
Malcolm

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2018  ·  #6
It seems a big job and thumbs up for doing it yourself.
They are a great Engine - gearbox has a few small niggles and i got mine redone the other year after 150KM on clock.
Get new engine mounts obviously - inexpensive but extremely worth it.
I replaced all struts also which made a startling difference in handling.
Great idea dropping the back end onto timber, it would have to be quite solid up front - your right.
Best of luck!!

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #7
Speaking as a non technical motorhomer, I wonder does this link help or perhaps it is duplication of what you have.

https://hymer-owners-group.co….s-engines/

As you can see, this is a new hymer specific forum. They also have a very active Facebook group of over 5000 members if you are into that.

Davy

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #8
Post a few pics.

It'll help the rest of us decide if we want to buy a good oldie and do a rebuild.

newt
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Hessy Hymer

It seems a big job and thumbs up for doing it yourself.
They are a great Engine - gearbox has a few small niggles and i got mine redone the other year after 150KM on clock.
Get new engine mounts obviously - inexpensive but extremely worth it.
I replaced all struts also which made a startling difference in handling.
Great idea dropping the back end onto timber, it would have to be quite solid up front - your right.
Best of luck!!

For future reference hessy where did you get the gearbox redone and Approx cost, mine as 190 km up, no problems so far
Regards
Pat

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.