TGAP
My Motorhome: Burstner 747
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Travelling to Holland

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #1
Hi

I am traveling to Holland via Dublin to Holyhead and from Harwich to Hook of Holland, our van is 15 years old, burstner 747 and just wondering about European breakdown cover. I was speaking to a club officer earlier this evening and he correctly informed me that ADAC no longer takes on new members outside Germany. We have dolmen insurance cover and I have never had to use it here or abroad, thank God.
Any suggestions and other tips greatly appreciated. Traveling with wife and three children

Thanks

Gerry

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Travelling to Holland

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #2
Dolemn cover you up to a value of €650 per annum for a road side repair or a tow to a safe location.
I had to use a recovery tow last November but Dolmens is unable to tell me the cost of that tow but more importantly, how much of my €650 allowance is remaining .
Maybe it's because I am getting older and more cranky but I reckon that insurance is becoming state sponsored robbery.
Malcolm

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #3
We are also insured with Dolmen and have always purchased stand alone European breakdown cover on an annual basis.

After reading THIS POST last year it think it is wise.

TGAP
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #4
Hi Mark,

Thanks a million for your reply, I really appreciate it. I tried purchasing European breakdown cover this evening online and just at the end, it told me that they don't cover vans older than 12 years old or 8 metres and not heavier than 3500kg, ours is about 8.3 metres long and about 3800kg, it is a tag axle. Do you mine me asking you who do you purchase European breakdown cover from?

Thanking you.

Kind regards,
Gerry

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2018  ·  #5
Quote by TGAP

Hi Mark,

Thanks a million for your reply, I really appreciate it. I tried purchasing European breakdown cover this evening online and just at the end, it told me that they don't cover vans older than 12 years old or 8 metres and not heavier than 3500kg, ours is about 8.3 metres long and about 3800kg, it is a tag axle. Do you mine me asking you who do you purchase European breakdown cover from?

Thanking you.

Kind regards,
Gerry

We renew each year with LV. They cover up to 7.5 tonne and over 7meters long (not sure of the maximum).
I am also unsure if they cover residents of ROI as I vaguely recall a similar post like this a year or two ago.

Might be worth giving them a call.
0800 022 3948

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2018  ·  #6
I also have the LV European breakdown cover as part of the motorhome insurance with them , but I also have separate cover with RAC . That cover is on the person travelling and not the vehicle, so the 10 year rule doesn't apply, the only problem is that you are limited to one call out per trip. I think last year the RAC cover was about £180 or , but that was to cover 2 people, my wife and myself.

TGAP
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2018  ·  #7
Malcolm, Mark and Colm,

I thank each of you for sharing your knowledge and experience on my query. I didn’t get a chance today to ring anyone but I will tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Gerry

wanderingaimlessly
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Nissan Interstar
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.06.2018  ·  #8
Quote by TGAP

Hi

I am traveling to Holland via Dublin to Holyhead and from Harwich to Hook of Holland, our van is 15 years old, burstner 747 and just wondering about European breakdown cover. I was speaking to a club officer earlier this evening and he correctly informed me that ADAC no longer takes on new members outside Germany. We have dolmen insurance cover and I have never had to use it here or abroad, thank God.
Any suggestions and other tips greatly appreciated. Traveling with wife and three children

Thanks

Gerry

We did this route last year and had taken out eu cover through aga mondial through the motorcaravan club of ireland. If i can remember it was around 100 euro for motorhome up to 15 years and around 180 euro for older than 15 years. We left Mayo at 4am, got the quick ferry to holyhead and drove straight to harwich for the evening sailing......it was a long day especially with an 18 month old. the ferry crossing was comfy and we had our breakfast here 51°58'40.8"N 4°07'44.3"E although it was a sunday so the town was quiet. if you have any other questions I might be able help.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.