Excessive gas usage

Daffysparks

Subject:

Excessive gas usage

· 
Posted: 03.06.2018  ·  #1
Well folks, landed in Carcassonne tonight. Fridge stopped. Out of gas 😳wtf. Ok connect new bottle along with thinking wtf that shouldn’t have happened. All working fine now but I’m getting a smell of gas. Now I’m pissed make no mistake on that.. but somethings up. Bas d on that superb in detail analysis gave anyone any idea

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Excessive gas usage

· 
Posted: 03.06.2018  ·  #2
Quote by Daffysparks

Well folks, landed in Carcassonne tonight. Fridge stopped. Out of gas 😳wtf. Ok connect new bottle along with thinking wtf that shouldn’t have happened. All working fine now but I’m getting a smell of gas. Now I’m pissed make no mistake on that.. but somethings up. Bas d on that superb in detail analysis gave anyone any idea

Not what you want when on Holliday but the best place to start is the gas bottle and work back,there is clearly a leak and most probably at a joint.
I hope that you get sorted soon.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2018  ·  #3
sounds like you have a leak would be better to turn the gas off altogether and have someone qualified check it over,failing that the system could be checked for the leak with a spray bottle filled with water with a drop of washing up liquid added.Best to get someone qualified in gas installation to look at it .

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2018  ·  #4
If you have a bottle and a rubber tube to regulator check it ,that can perish, in fact in spain it is unlawfull to use one over a certain time. That why all Spanish gas tubes have a date stamped on them. The spanish regulator fitting is the same as southern irish one and you can get a Repsol (petrol company) bottle for about 18 euro deposit and get in back when you are finished. they were around 20euro a refill in May. The price is government controlled and is the same all over. Now about your leak, get a paint brush or a sponge and some soapy water and go along your lines checking for leaks .

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.06.2018  ·  #5
I would say it is a washer which has failed on the pigtail, but do as others have said check with soapy water for bubbles, but wait until light and keep it off until then

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #6
Firstly check that there is actually a washer present on the pigtail!
Its not unknown for them to fall off or get knocked off.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #7
Thanks everyone.
It’s a new pigtail with all new washers that are in place. Cannot smell any gas leak and have had a good scout around. Regulator is approximately 2 years old (16) I was having issues of pressure on occasion with that cylinder, now I am wondering was it a dodgy one. I have a big fridge with separate freezer, on for a week with two cool downs from room temperature, one at home and after the ferry as well. With oven and hob usage everyday and hot weather, no ehu, fridge seems to be on a lot with ambient temp quite high, how long should a cylinder last. 11 kg propane cylinder

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #8
If it is any help we have a similar fridge freezer and when in France we use Aires (so no hook up). We usually find that we get between 14 -16 nights from the first 11kg cylinder.
That is water heater on permanently when parked, fridge, gas BBQ and oven /hob cooking.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #9
Quote by nilrac

If you have a bottle and a rubber tube to regulator check it ,that can perish, in fact in spain it is unlawfull to use one over a certain time. That why all Spanish gas tubes have a date stamped on them. The spanish regulator fitting is the same as southern irish one and you can get a Repsol (petrol company) bottle for about 18 euro deposit and get in back when you are finished. they were around 20euro a refill in May. The price is government controlled and is the same all over. Now about your leak, get a paint brush or a sponge and some soapy water and go along your lines checking for leaks .

Uk tubes are also date stamped and although there is no regulation it is advisable to change after five years.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #10
David I use about a table spoon of Fairy in half a cup of water sud it up really well and use a toothbrush .give. Over every joint that was opened lately.
Did you not have a problems before you left ? Go over all the joints from bottle to fridge with everything switched off and the gas turned on.
Best. Of luck.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #11
Quote by sprinter

David I use about a table spoon of Fairy in half a cup of water sud it up really well and use a toothbrush .give. Over every joint that was opened lately.
Did you not have a problems before you left ? Go over all the joints from bottle to fridge with everything switched off and the gas turned on.
Best. Of luck.

I had trouble with it on electric alright,( only works on ehu when it feels like it) Not on gas. I’m 99% sure there’s no leak. Herself has a nose like a bloodhound and ears that’d hear the grass grow, so I have picked up another cylinder of propane and will see how this next calor one goes before I start digging in further. I have a new regulator with me that I could swap over if necessary. May play the waiting game.
Thanks

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #12
Quote by mark

If it is any help we have a similar fridge freezer and when in France we use Aires (so no hook up). We usually find that we get between 14 -16 nights from the first 11kg cylinder.
That is water heater on permanently when parked, fridge, gas BBQ and oven /hob cooking.

Thanks for that. That is approximately what I get in Ireland

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2018  ·  #13
A fellow craicer here, Tommy S gave a great tip here last winter for figuring out gas usage or gas lost.
Remove your cylinder and place it onto the ground. Pour a cup of boiling water over the cylinder and where there is a line between wet and dry on the cylinder is the gas level which you mark when a felt tip.
To find a gas leak ,refit your cylinder for a few days, turned on without any appliances switched on and then repeat the procedure again with a new mark. If the levels are different then you have a gas leak.
However this is not much use to David who is using his gas as he is touring but at least he can check his gas level daily if he chooses.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2018  ·  #14
Well we are still alive!! South of Barcelona and this cylinder is still tipping away. For how long is the big question. Still no smell of gas. Even asked a few Motorhomers on sites to have a sniff around, literally and figuratively.... and all drawing a blank. Checked a lot of connections and..... nothing. So, onward we go, having a great trip and swmbo already making noises about bigger and better trips ahead. Guess I can sort the non- leak so 😂😂😂and keep her with me

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Excessive gas

· 
Posted: 07.06.2018  ·  #15
Quote by Daffysparks

Well we are still alive!! South of Barcelona and this cylinder is still tipping away. For how long is the big question. Still no smell of gas. Even asked a few Motorhomers on sites to have a sniff around, literally and figuratively.... and all drawing a blank. Checked a lot of connections and..... nothing. So, onward we go, having a great trip and swmbo already making noises about bigger and better trips ahead. Guess I can sort the non- leak so 😂😂😂and keep her with me

You know some gas bottles just stink,I don't know why but maybe there is some kind of spillage when filling .I have had a 45kg bottle at my house and ended up bringing it back the smell of it made me sick never mind the time I wasted checking for leaks

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2018  ·  #16
The stenching agent in gas will tend to settle over time, sometimes you can get a bottle that has a lot of it concentrated in the bottom for some unknown reason and that produces the rotten smell you get.
Propane or Butane is nearly odourless so to make people aware the gas companies add the smell to help safety.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #17
Update:
Got up this morning, put on kettle, had a wamass about, come back in no gas under kettle. Look at fridge, all hunky Dory. Again Wtf. So out with the toolbox. Herself arrived back just as I’m changing cylinder and when I’m connected gets her head right into gas cabinet...I’d swear the other campers thought she’d just had enough of me ; ). Anyway she says, I can hear a hiss very low. Where, dunno. So check all connections, I have leak detection spray. Nothing. So ok says I, may go whole hog, i now have changed over the regulator, connected everything back up, in goes the missus’s head again and reports back, all clear no hissing, no faint smell in cabinet that I had put down as normal, so fingers crossed that that is the end of it. May wait now see how long this cylinder lasts. And fridge is working on ehu!!!!!

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2018  ·  #18
If it's any consolation, my wife said she smelled gas last night but I had just taken in s citronella candle. I don't get the similarity but when I put it in front of her, she said that was what she smelled.

Fast forward to this morning I thought I was on empty in hidden valley cos the water heater was on strike and I switched the fridge to gas to check and computer said no. The gas was turned on at the cylinder and the regulator. I dodged the advice at reception that I'd need to drive up to 'the crossroads' to find a propane cylinder, the incoming queue and 1pm closure of the recommended store was enough to put me off.

I went out the tenters gate on foot and pretty much across the road was a Glanbia farm shop with flogas cylinders. Obviously I'm not hardcore enough to carry an empty cylinder on spec but I walked over to enquire about propane with the intention of popping back for the cylinder and my wallet, note for the app, they do stock flogas propane red cylinders and open until 4 on Saturdays and are almost across the road from the tenters entrance, the campsite recommended stockists, well beyond walking distance close at 1pm. As it turned the cylinder didn't feel empty and wasn't empty. I've no explanation but the van hasn't been getting the use it deserves recently but the drive down yesterday should have stirred any gas cylinder into action.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2018  ·  #19
Final update.... I think
Home now, emptying out camper van and checked the cylinder. Even weighed it to be more accurate. Have used 1.5 kg from last Saturday morning until we got home yesterday. So situation appears resolved. I’m pretty sure the old regulator is only 2 years old, and should last longer than that, I would have thought. Anyway, keep an eye on your regulator people. There was very little smell and it wasn’t leaking from any of the connections for sure

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.