Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Ford Transit

· 
Posted: 31.05.2018  ·  #1
I have a 2010 Hobby/Transit. It is a twin rear wheel drive. I had it serviced recently and the garage recommended that I get the driveshaft changed. There are only 22k miles on it. The quote is almost 1000 euro. I contacted Ford but they say once it is over 5 years the can do nothing for me. Is this a common fault ? Has anyone had a driveshaft reconditioned?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Ford Transit

· 
Posted: 31.05.2018  ·  #2
Quote by Thornwood

I have a 2010 Hobby/Transit. It is a twin rear wheel drive. I had it serviced recently and the garage recommended that I get the driveshaft changed. There are only 22k miles on it. The quote is almost 1000 euro. I contacted Ford but they say once it is over 5 years the can do nothing for me. Is this a common fault ? Has anyone had a driveshaft reconditioned?

This sounds really strange ,I have had similar vans with over 200,000 miles on the clock and still on original drive shaft.
Ask for the reason as to why this is being recomended.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2018  ·  #3
I'm sure cvrt would pick up on that and you would feel something while driving if there was a problem

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2018  ·  #4
A prop shaft would seem to be an unusual thing to go with such small mileage. We've a Rimor on the same chassis, I've had a look at the parts costs and it's eye watering. Must get to looking at what preventative maintenance should be done.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2018  ·  #5
The only thing that can go wrong with a drive shaft is the universal joints on both ends. It should have been balanced from new, this can be checked by an engineering company, I would check to see if joint replacement kits are available, that would be much much cheaper than a new one . Or You could try Doherty Transit Spares in Buncrana for a used replacement .they will deliver or similar traders

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2018  ·  #6
It is probably the carrier bearing, the piece that joins the front and rear sections of drive shafts and it also is bolted to a chassis cross member.
I think that the newer type are a sealed bearing with no grease nipple. The bearing is also encased in a self centering rubber mount which may show a small bit of perishing.
Been honest I haven't heard of a drive shaft failure in years because of the materials been used now are better.
I think that your service garage recommendations are based on a computerised service program not a grease mechanic opinion. Remember the boom is back for the auto industry and they need our money.
There are a few good transit forums across the pond which allow guest visitors, so a browse should be in order.
Hope this helps,
Malcolm

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2018  ·  #7
I would agree Malcom with your thoughts, I call the new breed of mechanics, Lap Top Fitters .If they didn't have one they would be lost. When have you last seen them replace the diode in an alternator or if you showed them a dynamo and a set of brushes they would be lost. There are still good mechanics out there but they are getting fewer. That's why a good one man garage is always busy

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2018  ·  #8
I have been dealing with the garage for many years. They are saying there is a bearing noise. They also tried to get some discount from Ford with no luck. Thanks for the info. I will check out the other forums

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2018  ·  #9
Another or I should say is a cheaper option, is to have the drive shaft reconditioned. A crowd that we use in work is http://driveshaft.ie.
They should be able to replace the moving parts and rebalance everything for a fraction of your quotation.
In my opinion ford went through a cost cutting exercise, more than a decade ago, and cut on the quality of parts used and now customers are paying for their c**k ups. I know this because we have a Transit based mh which has a few dodgy manufacturers parts.
Malcolm

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Thornwood

I have been dealing with the garage for many years. They are saying there is a bearing noise. They also tried to get some discount from Ford with no luck. Thanks for the info. I will check out the other forums

Bearing noise doesn't sound like the propshaft or universal joints. Ask them to show you the propshaft or check it yourself. If you grip it at each end in turn (engine off of course) and give it a good push/pull, there should be little movement or rattle. If there is and you trust their assessment, go for a low mileage used replacement. They should last well over 22k Km, if not the life of the vehicle. Some can be rebuilt, like a landrover but others like my x-trail cannot. Other forums will give you the answer.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.06.2018  ·  #11
Did he take it for a drive to discover this bearing noise? It is very hard to diagnose where a bearing noise is coming from, it could be from the diff or a wheel bearing also, usually if it is a cross yoke joint you would have vibration.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.