My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

Galway City

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #1
Hello

Could we pick your brains please?

We're visiting good friends in Galway City for 3 nights and struggling to find somewhere to pitch up. Salthills is a bit beyond our budget (we have 2 teenagers!) and the harbour is just a stopover.

We're happy to pay and we're looking for somewhere quiet.

All ideas welcome.

Many thanks

David & Philippa

just_manu
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Re: Galway City

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #2
Hi, you can stay at the harbour all day.
I think it works out at about €24 / €26 for 24 hours or something like that.
€4 over night from 7pm to 8am and then €2 per hour other times.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #3
Bay view campsite open a second spot in a field behind the Spindlemakers pub during the summer months. The facilities are very basic. We stayed in it about 5 years ago during race week. 3 adults and 2 kids for €25 a night with ehu.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #4
When you say “harbour is just a stop over” does that imply that you are looking for a campsite, but one that is not as expensive as Salthill. R

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #5
I would have a few suggestions for free stops, (but none with facilities),for free. My daughter lives in knocknacarra, beside Salthill

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #6
Bit limited around Galway city.
The Harbor or the campsites out by Salthill seem the only options.
Maybe a pub a bit out of town with parking may agree to let you park if your giving it some trade ? .....

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.05.2018  ·  #7
Just occurred to me. The campsite behind the Spindlemakers pub trades as O Hallorans camping. It is ran by the siblings of Bay view.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Galway City

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #8
Quote by Daffysparks

I would have a few suggestions for free stops, (but none with facilities),for free. My daughter lives in knocknacarra, beside Salthill

She wouldn't happen to know if you can park inn the Huntsman ,or Connaught RFU

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #9
She’s not sure about the Huntsman, but reckons Connaught grounds would be ok if you pay the parking charge and it’s not a match day. Again she says the docks would be best bet

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Galway City

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Daffysparks

She’s not sure about the Huntsman, but reckons Connaught grounds would be ok if you pay the parking charge and it’s not a match day. Again she says the docks would be best bet

Realistically what is needed is where is the cheapest all day parking between say 10aam and 6pm ,and then go down the dock's for the night.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #11
Cathedral car park €5 per day
Also a car park on Dyke road and on Headford Road €5 per day. Could chance prom on Salthill free, but if parked for a long time might get a ticket. It’s worth noting if it’s this wee Ed Sheehan is in town and the whole of Salthill will be on lockdown

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Galway City

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #12
Quote by Daffysparks

Cathedral car park €5 per day
Also a car park on Dyke road and on Headford Road €5 per day. Could chance prom on Salthill free, but if parked for a long time might get a ticket. It’s worth noting if it’s this wee Ed Sheehan is in town and the whole of Salthill will be on lockdown

That's not bad makes for a very cheap weekend ,so long as you are prepared to shift around. and have access to your M/H. Galway is a place you certainty don't need transport.

davidandphippps
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #13
Thanks for your replies. We are looking for a place we can stop for 3 days without the hassle of having to move around. We don't need lots of facilities just access to water would be nice and somewhere to empty the toilet cassette. Our friends' drive is too short. It'll only take a Peugeot 206!!! I can't find the Spindle makers pub in Salthills on the web. A pub on the outskirts of the city would be great. We are happy to walk, bus or train into the city.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2018  ·  #14
Possibly the Spinnaker pub? It's a while since I lived in Galway but don't remember a Spindle maker, definitely had a Christmas party in the Spinnaker one year and there would be a field beside/behind it overlooking the sea which could be a rough and ready campsite.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2018  ·  #15
I think the Spinnaker is the pub alright. It closed down a few years back. It’s right next to the campsites in Salthill. I don’t think it wise to park there. It is right next to a florists where staff and customers park and not much space. A few kilometers out the Barna road you have Padraigins pub. Campers park up on that stretch of promenade regularly but it is not convenient for Galway city. Public transport is almost non existent. I would recommend parking in Salthill prom during the day and moving to Galway docks in the evening.

BryanM
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2018  ·  #16
Sorry folks but stayed at the Galway docks at Easter and while the hourly rates quoted put people off, it is actually only €8 for 24 hours as per the attached rates picture. We found it great value.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Galway City

· 
Posted: 19.05.2018  ·  #17
Quote by BryanM

Sorry folks but stayed at the Galway docks at Easter and while the hourly rates quoted put people off, it is actually only €8 for 24 hours as per the attached rates picture. We found it great value.

That has to be the best rate in Ireland

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2018  ·  #18
I think these charges only apply to the barrier controlled car park at the harbour hotel end of the docks. At that side you take a ticket at the barrier and pay at rhe machine when youre leaving.The spaces at this end really only facilitate car size vehicles with crash barriers at the back of the spaces that prevents overhang needed for longer campers. The rates at the other side beside the boats where most campers park doesn't appear to cover 24 hour parking. There you have to prepay. Its €4 from 7pm to 7am and €2 per hour after that. I remember reading on another post that you can make individual arrangements with the harbour master

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.