Administrator
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Gulfstream Sunsport
Base Vehicle: Chevrolet 6.2 V8
Subject:

Our old map

· 
Posted: 03.05.2018  ·  #1
Our old Motorhomecraic Map before we created the App at great expense to make it more usable for Motorhomers, we haven't updated this since 2016 but thought we would release it as there are copies appearing recently that haven't been updated since 2012 and originated on Motorhomecraic. We will make it Free again as it used to be and will start editing it again to keep it up to date. We will of course keep updating the App, as it now has over 10,000 installs and the Map has been viewed millions of times, also it works offline and is essential for touring. Expect to see these appear other places. Motorhomecraic leads the way since 2011 - others just follow and copy.

Click Here for old Map
No user has liked this post yet.
ntg
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Our old map

· 
Posted: 03.05.2018  ·  #2
Quote by Ally

Motorhomecraic leads the way since 2011 - others just follow and copy.

http://www.motorhomecraic.com/map.html

And most of the time make a very poor job of it
Administrator
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2018  ·  #3
Nidge
My Motorhome: HYMER C524
Base Vehicle: FIAT DUCATO 2004 2.8 DIESEL
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.05.2018  ·  #4
I left that group. Was a bit hard looking at that post knowing where the map came from, and staying quiet.
Like a lot of stuff there, its not original.
Craic Addict
Homepage: greatdomains.ie
My Motorhome: Rotec T.E.C.
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2018  ·  #5
Any chance of a new map for paid up members exclusively?

Personally I find trying to plan a trip off an iPhone a bit tedious and a map on a PC would be great. If you can make the map non downloadable it should help protect your IP.

If some other group really wants to copy the info all they have to do is to pay their €6 and copy over all the info albeit item by item
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2018  ·  #6
We only put the old map back out there again due to the number of stolen, out of date copies of the map and the points on it being available acrfoss various social media platforms, we have no intention to return to maps either downloadable or not. While you say lock it so it cant be downloaded other will ask for it to be downloaded so where do we stop.

We have put our resources, time and money into providing the app and keeping it up to date, that way as you have stated if anyone wants to copy the information they will have to do it manually item by item, although that is still illegal due to copyright laws. We discussed this at length some time back and everyone (at the time) felt it was the way forward.
Administrator
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2018  ·  #7
Quote by Eamonn

Any chance of a new map for paid up members exclusively?

Paid up members of the app or the website?

The simple answer is no. I'll give my reasons below

Quote by Eamonn

Personally I find trying to plan a trip off an iPhone a bit tedious and a map on a PC would be great.

I know exactly what you're saying, unfortunately the likes of you and me are slowly disappearing, 89% of the members view this website on a tablet or a phone. If I had my way, everyone would be forced to use a PC :)
You could always use a route planner to the general area and then use the app for the final approach?

Since 24/08/2011 many things have changed on Motorhomecraic.

We were asked by our members to make an App for the simple reason a lot of people are not technically minded or need/want to be. We went down the route of using the likes of MAPS.ME years ago by downloading the KML and importing it. A few used it that way, majority couldn't do it. Also it is not reliable it also doesn't update automatically/daily, doesn't have reviews. It's time consuming and not the experience the majority of people want. People want simple and that's what the App does, but I am not here to defend the App, it's award winning, it needs no defense. The App works with Apple Play and Android Auto.

Everything you see everyone else doing, we have already done it in the past, they are doing nothing new. Most are copying.

Quote by Eamonn

If you can make the map non downloadable it should help protect your IP.

If you find out how, please let me know.

Quote by Eamonn

If some other group really wants to copy the info all they have to do is to pay their €6 and copy over all the info albeit item by item

Sort of the point?

One of the reasons when we update it, we do not say we have added x & y, just that we added more. There has to be some sort of difficulty for the thieves.

---------------------

I will share ANY map that did not originate on Motorhomecraic in some shape or form and I have the permission to do so. I know of none. Tom's (Hymer524) map would be a prime example, he helped create the first Motorhomecraic map and has been working on his own version for a long time, if he wished to share his for the benefit of others on this website I would have no objection. The App is a very different thing.
Craic Addict
Homepage: greatdomains.ie
My Motorhome: Rotec T.E.C.
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2018  ·  #8
Noted and understood. Only just home so couldn't reply before now.
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2018  ·  #9
Hi

I've been using the App recently and finding it really useful. I'm posting this reply in this topic as I to had used the old Google maps KML type files on my personal satnav (Copilot) The current setup is way less confusing as I used to have to convert and reimport the latest version quite often. Just one question I'd like to ask on this topic. When I chose a location and click on through to the actual map, let's say Google Maps, would it be possible to see other close by alternative points? Meaning, if there happened to be a reason to change location I wouldn't need to toogle between Google maps and the Parking app?

Hope this makes sense :)

John

Armagh
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2018  ·  #10
That does make sense and I am sure the developer could look at that as an update.
Administrator
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2018  ·  #11
Sounds a good idea in theory but I don't think that is something we will be doing. That would mean the file would be loaded into Google maps and then wouldn't be updating in the App daily.

Basically we would be back to where we were with an outdated file that doesn't auto update.
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2018  ·  #12
Quote by nipper

Hi

I've been using the App recently and finding it really useful. I'm posting this reply in this topic as I to had used the old Google maps KML type files on my personal satnav (Copilot) The current setup is way less confusing as I used to have to convert and reimport the latest version quite often. Just one question I'd like to ask on this topic. When I chose a location and click on through to the actual map, let's say Google Maps, would it be possible to see other close by alternative points? Meaning, if there happened to be a reason to change location I wouldn't need to toogle between Google maps and the Parking app?

Hope this makes sense :)

John

Armagh

Sorry but this is not possible. Inter app communication is limited to specific tasks. In out case we are using a "navigate to" task and its not possible to augment the target application with other information.
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2018  ·  #13
No worries, it's really a luxury request. The maps in general are brilliant :)

Not sure if this is the place but I'll ask anyhow.

Is it possible to save my preferred settings so each time I open it could go straight to e.g. Normal map (not terrain) no lpg or campsites showing?

John

Armagh
Administrator
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2018  ·  #14
Quote by nipper

No worries, it's really a luxury request. The maps in general are brilliant :)

Is it possible to save my preferred settings so each time I open it could go straight to e.g. Normal map (not terrain) no lpg or campsites showing?

Glad you are enjoying the app :)

Not as yet, but maybe something for the future, I am sure Pablo (Paul) will advise when he gets time. I think his reply might be something like "we hold no information on any user" and as that's the case it is hard to store settings. But he's the man to answer :)
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.