Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

Camping along the loire

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #1
Any first hand experience of sites along the loire east of saumur? Looking for sites not Aires...not too busy?
Thanks

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Camping along the loire

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #2
There is a nice site with an Aire beside it in Amboise, there is also a chateau which does a fantastic light/video show. The site is on the island in middle of the river

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #3
We stayed in Flower Camping on Ile d'Offard in Saumer for a few nights last summer and another night in the Aire just outside the gate. It was a clean and quiet campsite, but a short stroll from the center of the town, it does have an onsite bar/restaurant but it was all pretty low key.

Further east we stayed 5 nights in Parc de Fierbois a bit south of Tours. It's a Castels site (La Garangarie, La Grande Metaire and others) and is very much a full fat site with evening entertainment in summertime but it has plenty of quiet wooded pitches around a lake which are away from the bar/pool complex. Definitely less Irish and English here than typical Eurocamp sites. There is an on site supermarket with the usual afternoon shutdown but local village St Catherine de Fierbois is pretty but has very little commercial activity, one little hotel and a Post Office/small shop. St Maure is a handy cycle on the back roads and a few shops / cafes / restaurants and has a market a few mornings a week.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #4
Campsites in these Les Rosiers-sur-Loire and Chinon are nice. I can't remember the names of the sites but will try to find them.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.04.2018  ·  #5
In Saumur, keeping river on left and castle on right drive about a mile along till you see an Aire (used to be al old caravan park) on left, drops down into a green field area amongst trees, , at entrance there is a toilet, water etc. man comes around to collect the money.. There is a boardwalk back into Saumur, it may have changed.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2018  ·  #6
9293 campsites in France listed HERE, 81 of which are in The Loire area

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2018  ·  #7
Haven't tried

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2018  ·  #8
I used the Campingcarpark aire in Longeville Sur Mer in the Vendee a couple of weeks ago, very easy to use and credit on the card can be recharged via the web. I believe you must have a their card to use their aires. There's also a facility to pre-book sites on their Aires , but you have to pay an extra charge for that.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2018  ·  #9
Quote by witzend

Haven't tried this but 47.259932 -0.064895 Ile d' Offard. One of the recent additions to www.Campingcarpark.com they seem to be taking over a lot of aires in France so to save any messing about at any of the payment machines we've just registered for a card on line €4 for life time membership + €10 credit received in 4 days by post with paper location map. 61 locations in France and more being added daily most at prime locations

This is the Aire at the gate to Flower Camping that I mentioned above. The card can be purchased at the machine at the entrance barrier.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2018  ·  #10
As mentioned above ,buying the card before you go saves alot of messing at the machine on your first time and you get € 10 free , they are good Aires

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2018  ·  #11
I got one of those cards last year when in France and yeah there is a bit of a process to go through, especially if your not great at French. Doable but if you can get it before you go, it’d be handier. And yes the few we used were good sites

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2018  ·  #12
Nearly all have WiFi and EHU, but the EHU is on a 4 or 6 amp trip so don't expect to be boiling the kettle on leccy.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.