franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Portumna Aires.

· 
Posted: 04.04.2018  ·  #1
Spent 2 days there on Mon and Tues - no interlopers on site. Everything seems to be up and running and quite pleasant to stay on site. €10 Euro per night, electrics extra.
System is you park up and get your ticket, €10 from machine on site, using credit card. Tickets runs for 24 hours from time of arrival.
If you want electrics you must buy a Waterways Ireland card in local shops. These consist of 2 types:
one for 10 units cost €6.60 approx or
one for 20 units, cost €12.70.
Each unit gives 2Kws of electrics.
You plug into sockets, insert units card into socket reader and follow on line instructions.
Very important not to put too many units into machine, as when you leave, unused units are lost.
Toilets open all the time. Showers cost 2 card units.
Note that refuse can be given to the council van man whose seems to call on site twice a day.
His function seems to be to check that tickets are on display.
Enjoy.
Franco

chalkey

Subject:

Interlopers

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #2
Just a word of warning. We parked up at lunchtime today and the Aire is just lovely. We were having a cup of tea this afternoon and a lady came knocking at the door. She was a bit agitated and was telling us that our van is longer than 6.5m and that we were not allowed to park up. She proceeded to take photos and informed Mr that she would be reporting us to the guards. My van is 7m long and I didn't see that only vans up to 6.5m were allowed to park. This is displayed on the sign at the entrance. She was also trying to tell us that we are not insured. With this I shut the van door and wished her a nice day. If the guards come to visit I will update later.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Portumna Aires.

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #3
:shock:

Nothing to do with the Guards I'd say.

Motorhomecraic and other groups were at the opening of Portumna. Invited.

Most of the vans there were over 6.5. So who is adding new rules and why? Sounds like a bit of a balls up.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #4
Who was she?

Maybe another Motorhomer with long van envy ?

I haven't visited yet (and am now too long it appears) but is there a reason for this rule?
Are they stuck for space?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Portumna Aires.

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #5
Chalkey.
Could you put up a photo of your motorhome as it is parked ,to see where the extra .5mtr is causing her the problems.
Because my Sprinter is 6.8mtr without the bike rack,and let's face it ,it is still only a standard Merv van.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #6
Tell her to jump into the shannon & cool off for her self,

Most of us are over 7mtr,

Im guessing you were displaying a valid ticket on your windscreen, she might be one of the regular die hards that do not want to pay and trying to drive people away so that it goes back to the way it used to be

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #7
Ask her how she knows how long your van is, what measuring device she used, was it calibrated and traceable to a national standard and if she was competent to use the measuring device.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #8
Quote by chalkey

Just a word of warning. We parked up at lunchtime today and the Aire is just lovely. We were having a cup of tea this afternoon and a lady came knocking at the door. She was a bit agitated and was telling us that our van is longer than 6.5m and that we were not allowed to park up. She proceeded to take photos and informed Mr that she would be reporting us to the guards. My van is 7m long and I didn't see that only vans up to 6.5m were allowed to park. This is displayed on the sign at the entrance. She was also trying to tell us that we are not insured. With this I shut the van door and wished her a nice day. If the guards come to visit I will update later.

I just hope that you enjoy your stay, you seemed to handle the situation very well.
Not sure I would have been as diplomatic, and why should anyone be discriminated against because they are half a metre more than someone has decided is the law.
Do not sit waiting for the guards as I am sure they have more important things to deal with.
Lucky you to be out at this time of the week.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #9
Garda told me 6.5 m is 12 batons and a tazer unless there's a riot and then it's just 4 big batons coz there in a hurry 😁

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #10
What a difficult situation and a stress not needed on a trip away.
For future reference, always ask for official id. All security personal are required by law, along with anyone working for a state agency, especially in a role of enforcement or public liason.
Even the person that reads your electricity meter now has photo id.
If the ID is not forthcoming, you are the one who can ring the gardaì for false impersonation.
Malcolm

chalkey

Subject:

Portumna aires

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #11
The women must have been a local objecter because she walking a dog. The guards came drove around the Aire waved at me and drove of. My van is parked correctly with the overhang over the grass verge at the rear no hindrance or danger to anybody. I will take a photo of the van and the sign tomorrow.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #12
Quote by chalkey

The women must have been a local objecter because she walking a dog. The guards came drove around the Aire waved at me and drove of. My van is parked correctly with the overhang over the grass verge at the rear no hindrance or danger to anybody. I will take a photo of the van and the sign tomorrow.

It was nice of the guards to acknowledge that you were a happy camper, treat her as a sad person with not much in life to look forward to.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.04.2018  ·  #13
Quote by sprinter

Chalkey.
Could you put up a photo of your motorhome as it is parked ,to see where the extra .5mtr is causing her the problems.
Because my Sprinter is 6.8mtr without the bike rack,and let's face it ,it is still only a standard Merv van.

Better still could you put up a photo and a video of her shouting abuse

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2018  ·  #14
As I see it she was an irritated crank. At least one co co vehicle comes and goes twice during the day and are talkative and friendly. I have no doubt they would be the first to warn you if there was a problem. I certainly will be using the site again, and my overhang will be on the grass as usual!
Franco

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #15
How about poll to see how many motorhomes are over 6.5m, I know ours is and I suspect most Family motorhomes are. If there is a significant amount that new Aire in Portumna is not fit for purpose and needs to be updated.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #16
Quote by CHAUSSON

How about poll to see how many motorhomes are over 6.5m, I know ours is and I suspect most Family motorhomes are. If there is a significant amount that new Aire in Portumna is not fit for purpose and needs to be updated.

Good idea. I measured mine today to double check after reading this post just to be sure and mine is 6.5m exactly. I had always thought it was a fairly big motorhome especially as it is 6 berths/seats but there must be many over that so a poll would be interesting.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #17
Quote by CHAUSSON

How about poll to see how many motorhomes are over 6.5m,

Go for it Pat

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #18
Mine is also, 6.5m without the motor bike wrack.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2018  ·  #19
Jeez lads, I consider mine small and overall it measures 7.3 mts. Now don’t be codding yourselves.... it’s longer than you think 😳😳

Jimster
My Motorhome: chausson
Base Vehicle: ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #20
Hi, Franco,
We are looking for spots for springtime. Is this aire at the mariner in the town?

Jimster

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #21
Published by: The Motorcaravanning Commission, F.I.C.C. (Fédération Internationale de Camping, Caravanning et Autocaravaning) 3rd of March 2012

LENGTH OF MOTORHOMES
LENGTH IN METERS PERCENTAGE
6 - 7 m 57%
7 - 8 m 22%
6 m or less 16%
8 - 9 m 3%
9 m or more 2%

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2018  ·  #22
Quote by baguette

Published by: The Motorcaravanning Commission, F.I.C.C. (Fédération Internationale de Camping, Caravanning et Autocaravaning) 3rd of March 2012

LENGTH OF MOTORHOMES
LENGTH IN METERS PERCENTAGE
6 - 7 m 57%
7 - 8 m 22%
6 m or less 16%
8 - 9 m 3%
9 m or more 2%

Falling into the 9m category ourselves I would be of the opinion that there are more than 2% looking for that parking space.
I will always park to minimise disruption to others but when I park I am not easily removed.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.04.2018  ·  #23
Hi Jimster,
This aire is in the town, but is in the Portumna castle park. You enter through the main gates to the park and follow the road to the marina. A walk back to the town would take less than 10 minutes.
Franco.

Jimster
My Motorhome: chausson
Base Vehicle: ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2018  ·  #24
Thanks for getting back Franco, we hope to be on the road soon.

Jimster

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Citreon Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #25
Heads up folks. Myself and fellow camper spent last night at Marine Aires. Both of us paid €10 in machine but no details printed on ticket. It appeared that ink had run out. Friend left early. Council man arrived at 7.30am. upon examination of my ticket, he accused me of not paying, said that he would have to report me and I could receive an €80 fine. I showed him my online bank showing payment to Cleggan CP €10. He said that it wasn't Cleggan, but Marina. I'm phoning Galway CC tomorrow to hopefully sort it out.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #26
We stayed there on Saturday 21st May 2018 and I can confirm that online banking is listed as Cleggan.
I have tried to upload a photo of our windscreen ticket.
Malcolm
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #27
Thanks Malcolm for that 🙂
It is a lovely facility and I was happy to pay to stay there, but being accused at 7.30 in the morning kinda put a damper on it.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #28
Hector,
I hope that lad is as brave in a few weeks time when the celebs pull in for the week or two

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #29
Ooh, celebs? Whose coming?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #30
You know the celebs,
They have a convoy, hang clothes lines out, kinda take the placd over until they decide to move,

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #31
Lol, oh those celebs! Now I wouldn't think he'd tackle them - a lone middle aged woman is a much easier bet 😀

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #32
On a positive note,
Good to see its been patrolled at present,
Hope it stays that way and get it in order,

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #33
When I stay in an Aires I would not expect to be and would not take kindly to being knocked on at 7.30am by some jobsworth accusing me of fraud.
Stick to your guns and produce your proof of payment,then shame that idiot who has little to do with his time other than upset those that want to abide by the law.

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #34
Indeed. It is a great facility, toilets are spotless. Showers on site with waterways card. Lovely picnic area overlooking the lake.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2018  ·  #35
The patrolling guy is pretty firm. While our ticket was on display, the kids had throw stuff on the dash, covering it up. The fella was blunt with my wife ,but then when she produced the ticket, he apologised.
There has been a lot of comments here about creating more european style aires in Ireland but folks need to remember that in Europe most ticket inspections occur very early in the morning. It is not uncommon for folks to be moving at 6 am on a french aires.

It is a well laid out facility but the dump for the toilet needs to be addressed because the current manhole is broken. I believe that this has been highlighted to Galway co co.

Regarding "the clebs", word is that currently, there is a huge gathering in North Dublin on the site of the new runway for Dublin Airport.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2018  ·  #36
Malcolm, they have been on that site north of the airport a long time.They are holding out for a payoff from the airport to bugger off, thats the word going around.
it started off with a couple of celebs, they were given something to shift, the rumour was a house, then the rest turned up. cops should have shifted them on long ago.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2018  ·  #37
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Malcolm, they have been on that site north of the airport a long time.They are holding out for a payoff from the airport to bugger off, thats the word going around.
it started off with a couple of celebs, they were given something to shift, the rumour was a house, then the rest turned up. cops should have shifted them on long ago.

If it the site for a new runway I doubt there would be too many houses in close.
Could the land owners not get a crop duster and deliver a nice layer of soapy water every few hours. I wouldn't imagine they would like that. LOL.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2018  ·  #38
Quote by hector2015

Heads up folks. Myself and fellow camper spent last night at Marine Aires. Both of us paid €10 in machine but no details printed on ticket. It appeared that ink had run out. Friend left early. Council man arrived at 7.30am. upon examination of my ticket, he accused me of not paying, said that he would have to report me and I could receive an €80 fine. I showed him my online bank showing payment to Cleggan CP €10. He said that it wasn't Cleggan, but Marina. I'm phoning Galway CC tomorrow to hopefully sort it out.

Did you get this sorted Hector?

I can confirm the caretaker was around at 7.15 this morning doing his business and checked tickets,
He didnt knock anybody up so all here must have tickets printed,👍

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2018  ·  #39
Quote by mad max

Quote by hector2015

Did you get this sorted Hector?

I can confirm the caretaker was around at 7.15 this morning doing his business and checked tickets,
He didnt knock anybody up so all here must have tickets printed,👍

Many Motorhomes there and any over 6.5 m parked there John?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2018  ·  #40
Id say only one is 6.5mtr or under Pat,
The remaing 11 are over in my opinion,

In fairness I didnt see the caretaker with a tape measure 😄

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.