TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Mileage

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #1
Just wondering how far craicers drive in one go. I tend to do high mileage as I like to get to my destination as soon as possible. Even if we have a few different destinations I still do the big miles. For me it is a time thing, it was different when I had loads of weeks for holidays and could take my time. This year I did 480 in one go towards the Three Valleys and 450 on the return.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Mileage

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #2
Time in our case. About 1 hour 30 mins and we take a stop, have done a couple of 4 hour stints but that’s unusual.
Thankfully work & jobs doesn’t beckon us the way it did in the past and that helps our motorhome travels.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #3
Years ago we hot seated and drove to Athens in an air cooled VW. My mate and I drove through the night taking it in turns while the wives slept. That gave us the days to explore. We were a lot younger then and could do with less sleep

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #4
I'd always blitz a journey when needed, prefer to get it done in one amd maximise time!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #5
Once we get to France we generally don't know where we are going but if we have a destination in mind we just go for it. That way we can spend more time there rather than using up days getting there.
Everyone is different and if we had more time we would be happy to do the short drives.

Here is one day from last summer where we were going to meet friends on the way back up the country.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #6
Oh ,the days of guns and roses on the tape, the old peepers were on full beam not dipped, and waterworks was a place full of pipes. Everybody should drive within their comfort zone to be safe. Lorry drivers can not exceed 4.5 hrs. So whatever your choice is be happy ,and enjoy your pastime ,its not a race and it passes too quick !

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #7
I would drive a couple of hours a time then rest but wouldn’t think twice of keeping going in that mode until I’m tired so probably cover around a max of 400 in a day. Like others prefer to get to where I want to go and enjoy it.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #8
Remembering the tapes that kept me going, Van the Man, Clapton, Phil Collins,Dire Straits, U2, Springsteen,

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #9
Quote by TommyS

Remembering the tapes that kept me going, Van the Man, Clapton, Phil Collins,Dire Straits, U2, Springsteen,

Sounds like you nicked my 4 track collection there Tommy !
Add.....
Queen, Tina Turner, Eagles, Bagstelle............

Great memories

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #10
If we are heading far from the ferry, we’ll usually do 4-5 hours at a stretch with a couple of stops on the way, like others, we like to get to the destination as soon as we can. But for no more than maybe three days, then we want to put down roots for a few days!

The playlist includes all the above, plus some Beatles, Dylan, Floyd, and sometimes into some Emmylou Harris, Linda Rondstadt, or other early ‘70s folk-rock. And now and again something from this century too!!

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #11
Forgot Fleetwood Mac

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #12
As I hit the big Five Owe, I noticed I couldn't do the big drives as before without breaking the journey up.
It is now as much because of getting cramp or stiff, as what it is about getting tired.

I've done 500 plus mile days many times in my 40's, but do find I needs stops and coffee or energy drinks now.

I still like to knock out a journey in the same day if possible. Just to get there and park up and start enjoying if possible.... just takes longer now.
Belfast to Cork ferry is always done the same day, but that's probably my limit now.

One thing that breaks it up for me is letting my 11 year old daughter sit up front with me as she likes to crank the stereo up and do a carpool karaoke with me. I'm tempted to upload a video of it, but I'm glad to report, I've not had enough beer yet tonight.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Mileage

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #13
The last time I did 400 K it took 77hours. (Walking )

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2018  ·  #14
While I do try and avoid marathon long drives, because simply I am holidays. However I always try to plan a journey with efficency in mind. Check your planned journey with a old fashioned map book because you can see a bigger picture than a computer generated one. The paper map has symbols for possible stops to break a journey.
For example, I try to avoid the m50 in Dublin at busy time, or whatever city.
Get up and be gone early ,the later in the day, the more tired that you become.
Always drink a litre of water per hour, because you have to stop to go to the loo and you avoid cramping muscles. The water also dilutes the coffee and the other stuff that you nibble.
I am probably luckier than most here, because my wife will drive the MH within reason. She will quite happily drive on national and secondary roads but doesn't like rural back roads. I let her on when on the big roads and then take over on the crap roads.
The most important thing is to manage safety, it is only in recent years that I have experienced been drunk with tiredness and it was bloody scary.
Malcolm

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #15
Malcolm, good advice re the litre of water per hour. I will adopt that in future trips.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #16
I find that the water is easier drank at room temperature than freezing cold.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Mileage

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #17
When I was driving before Tacks came in ,I would go from 5am until 6pm doing drops on the way.
Keep the cab cool, especially your feet.
I always found about an hour after early start I would start to droop , then I would stop give the face/head a wash. sit on the step , Load the pipes for the day 15min, then good to go.

Edgar
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Chausson
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #18
Well for my penny's worth I believe that your holiday starts when you go out the gate and she who has to be obeyed isn't a good traveler so we very seldome do more than an hour and a half to two before stopping and the boss has the kettle on. For me I have a terrible habit of wanting to know what is round the next corner or over the next hill but have learned to rein this habit in and slow down and enjoy it all. I don't know about the rest of you but I think our problem is we live on a beautiful island and if it wasn't for the weather it's hard to beat so we keep pushing on looking for that fantastic view as we are spoilt. Edd

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #19
I am fortunate/unfortunate that the missus falls asleep when I’m driving. She hates the big miles now but if she sleeps half of it, it seems to help. Her record for falling asleep is within 7 miles after leaving Stranraer. We toured France and Switzerland on the motorcycle and she fell asleep on that. I tell people that I bungee her on to the top box. Good job she doesn’t read these posts

flans van
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #20
Quote by TommyS

I am fortunate/unfortunate that the missus falls asleep when I’m driving. She hates the big miles now but if she sleeps half of it, it seems to help. Her record for falling asleep is within 7 miles after leaving Stranraer. We toured France and Switzerland on the motorcycle and she fell asleep on that. I tell people that I bungee her on to the top box. Good job she doesn’t read these posts

Im glad to hear im not the only one to fall asleep , John couldn't believe it when I fell asleep on the back of the motorbike .

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2018  ·  #21
When she falls asleep on the bike I slide back and wedge her between myself and the top box. I can usually tell when I feel her helmet start to tap me in the back

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2018  ·  #22
I used to fall asleep too,I never drive MH, turns out I have sleep apnoea, and now use CPAP machine (at night can plug into invertor if we don’t have electric). First MH trip after I got it, noticeable difference...I talked non stop all the way to Ardmore (3 hours drive).

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.