Faulty water temperature instrument, or faulty thermostat..

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Faulty water temperature instrument, or faulty thermostat..

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #1
I spent a few days in Loch Rinn last week. On the return journey I notices that the water temperature instrument on the dash had gone up to ‘normal’ temperature within a kms or 2. I kept an eye on it and when got up to 3/4 it began to move slight, but noticeable oscillating up and down, but was slowly going higher. I stopped and checked the water and it was plentiful, and not too hot. Certainly not boiling. Checked oil level and it was good and certainly not boiling. I continued driving but called to a garage and he told it was just a faulty temperature gauge. So I drove back to Dublin. The gauge went right up to ‘hot’ but I did get home. I must get it looked at now, but could it be faulty switch, or I was thinking it might be a faulty thermostat. Any insights please?.
Franco

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Faulty water temperature instrument, or faulty thermostat..

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #2
If it was

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #3
It might be a good idea to check the wagon in for a full service. There could be multiple causes. A broken thermostat , a faulty temperature sensor, a faulty temperature display, a blocked radiator, a broken water pump or a simple air lock. The list is endless but a good service by a good mechanic should cure it. The cost of a good service is alot less than a replacement engine.
Malcolm

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #4
Sounds like a dodgy temp sensor

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2018  ·  #5
Ok folks, thanks for info. DOE due later this month, so hopefully I will get a quick fix then and then full service before hitting France.
Tks
Franco

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2018  ·  #6
If it's a Ducato that's an old problem with the gauge. Get behind the clocks and disconnect the loom serving the temp guage for a minute, then reconnect it, the temp guage should reset.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2018  ·  #7
Tks Baguette. It’s a Peugeot. I wouldn’t fancy my chances of ‘getting behind the clock’ but I will have a look.
Regards
Franco

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2018  ·  #8
Quote by franco

Tks Baguette. It’s a Peugeot. I wouldn’t fancy my chances of ‘getting behind the clock’ but I will have a look.
Regards
Franco

If it's this dash, just take out the two torx screws on the photo and hinge the binnacle forward. It will allow enough space to get your hand in to reach the loom plug.
Don't forget to remove any rings and watch, you don't want to short anything you might touch by accident.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

presstout1
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 896f
Base Vehicle: Fait Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2018  ·  #9
I have the same problem on my Fait Ducato 2.8jtd & have read that it is a static buildup, a common problem on these models.
The cure is as baguette says apparently, tho I haven't got around to trying it yet.
Fingers crossed that's all it is, because the problem started when out in pouring rain & I got lots of lights on as well as the temperature gauge all over the place.
Now it shows hot as soon as ignition is switched on.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.03.2018  ·  #10
Thanks lads. Just been too busy with my son’s wedding for the past 10 days. Wedding over now but came back to gas tank malfunction again, so no heat and this the priority right now. This will be the third malfunction in 30 days. Spent €800 to date on gas repairs so just pissed off. Time for new boiler.
Hope to look at temperature gauge in a few days.
Baguette thanks for screenshot.

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2018  ·  #11
As suggested by Baguette, had a look behind the unit. I really was afraid to be intrusive, but no joy.
Currently in garage, and mechanic says new thermostat required. Should have got it back today, but expect to get it back tomorrow, otherwise spending Easter at 🏠.
Thanks for all helpful advice.
Franco

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2018  ·  #12
Got new thermostat fitted. Started up van on Thursday, and temperature needle went up to half-way immediately. So, now, obviously a faulty switch. Phoned garage immediately and they agreed it was electric and they would order new switch.
Headed away for the last 6 days and despite erratic needle, engine worked perfect. So question is did I need a new thermostat at all???? Cost €150.
Also it was suggested to me by a knowledgable camper man that very often this problem can be a bad connection at the engine/thermostat.
Also need to get Baguette’s suggestion checked out.
The saga rolls on.
Regards
Franco

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2018  ·  #13
To check sensor on engine, unplug the thermo-switch at the engine and the needle should remain at bottom of gauge when ignition switch is switched on, reconnect it and if faulty the gauge will rise.
Is yours the 2.5/2.5TD or the 2.8?
If it’s the 2.5/2.5TD and the sensor has the 2 wires on it then it does give grief........ I may have one if you need.

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2018  ·  #14
It could be that the engine ECU ie the (engine control unit ) controls the feed to the dash? as the engine management needs to know the coolant temperture for cold and warm starts rather than have 2 sensors .
One does the job?? see if someone has a diagnostic equipment check the fault codes

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2018  ·  #15
Thanks JJK and Big Llam,.
I have to say I tried to get at the switch, but it denied all efforts, there are so many pipes/wires in the way.
I have it book in to garage again for attention.
Thanks for advice.
Franco

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2018  ·  #16
So, I got it done in the garage. I appreciate all the info and suggestions provided, its just that I have no technical expertise, hence the need to get the garage to do it, and unfortunately pay for the job.
I just cannot see how some of you guys can get at those parts, behind plates, pipes wires etc.
Much as I would love to do the repairs myself, I find it prudent to let the experts handle it. Again thanks for input, it all helps to identify issues causing problems.
Franco

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2018  ·  #17
Quote by franco

So, I got it done in the garage. I appreciate all the info and suggestions provided, its just that I have no technical expertise, hence the need to get the garage to do it, and unfortunately pay for the job.
I just cannot see how some of you guys can get at those parts, behind plates, pipes wires etc.
Much as I would love to do the repairs myself, I find it prudent to let the experts handle it. Again thanks for input, it all helps to identify issues causing problems.
Franco

What was the culprit?

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.05.2018  ·  #18
Hi Baguette, the temperature sensor was faulty.
I need to get a bit more inquisitive and start doing some self-repairs. I have spent a lot of money on camper in last two years, so that’s the prod to get at things myself, even if only small items.
Regards
Franco

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.05.2018  ·  #19
Franco,
A good start would be to aquire a few Haynes workshop manuals. There are a load of options from self build conversion to coach built motorhomes, along with the different base vans, ie fiat ducanto, frod transit, etc.
The manuals are about €20/25 in Halfords but can be got secondhand on amazon for alot less.
As a beginner guide they are easily read and understood.
At the end of day ,if you can explain your problem accurately to a professional repairer, the bill should be smaller for labour. It would also help you explaining a problem here, so that a clever cogs maybe able to help you better.
Malcolm

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.05.2018  ·  #20
Hi Thorn123,
Very good idea, I will get a Haynes manual and absorb it. I recollect now that I had one for cars and it was very handy, but that was years ago.
Sorry for not responding earlier, but only seen your response in last few years, as we are away and somewhat tight on internet access.
Regards
Franco.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.