Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Motorhomes at Howth when it suits

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #3
At €60 per bunk per night, my wagon is available. Take it for a week and I will get my brother to slaughter a lamb and you can have 7 different lamb dinners over the week.
Any takers?
Malcolm

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #4
It's a big event for the club that weekend and they're trying to provide as much temporary accommodation as possible. What's the difference between using tents, portacabins, caravans or motorhomes ? I've seen car parks and streets closed off for various events so can't fault them for closing off the pier for the weekend, and as for Carroll- McAuley getting publicity out of it, fair play to them. I know that there may be some jealously with some people reading this because of motorhomes being more or less banned from the same area but how much could we as a community and individually have addressed the situation which led to the crackdown on parking on the pier ?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2018  ·  #5
Quote by Flipperdipper

but how much could we as a community and individually have addressed the situation which led to the crackdown on parking on the pier ?

I tried, tried to reduce numbers, tried to make the minority see sense. Tried for quite a number of years, knowing what was inevitable.

It seems though, some people just don't give a toss.

I seen more evidence of it today at an Aire,

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2018  ·  #6
Quote by Ally

Quote by Flipperdipper

but how much could we as a community and individually have addressed the situation which led to the crackdown on parking on the pier ?

I tried, tried to reduce numbers, tried to make the minority see sense. Tried for quite a number of years, knowing what was inevitable.

It seems though, some people just don't give a toss.

I seen more evidence of it today at an Aire,

No point in crying over spilt milk,as Ally states Howth among many others were debated on this site yet there were those that would not listen.
We as motorhomers do not have the right to put other communities under siege and it is clear to see that this kind of conduct will not be accepted.
Where are the motorhomers now that congested that area on a regular basis? Probably annoying some other community.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2018  ·  #7
Quote by ntg

Where are the motorhomers now that congested that area on a regular basis? Probably annoying some other community.

Either see them in terryglass (as no charge there yet) or possibly parking in Portumna where the sign says dont park at the wall or they will park and not pay the appropiate fee

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2018  ·  #8
I used to go to the Ford week Regatta in Crosshaven and it was a mess every time. Local home owners obviously capitalised on the event by letting their houses out for extortinate fees. I had one friend with a 4 bedroom bungalow used to charge around €1500 for the week, and he was booked-up years in advance.
Overpriced accomodation or lack of beds forced loads of people to sleep in their cars and vans for the week. Seems like Howth yacht club are looking for a slice of the action by creating a motorhome village on the pier.
Theres always someone looking to make a buck.
I've never been to Howth regatta, but I assume they turn the place into a village full of marquee's to deal with the crowds?
€60 per day is relatively good value if you want to be right next to the action...

If you WERE willing to let your parked motorhome out to strangers for the week, and park it somewhere on-street in Howth, I'm sure you'd make a killing too.... I'll bet every inch of parking will be premium there though.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.02.2018  ·  #9
Just to clear the air. I am very friendly with a family whose grandfather lived and died Howth yacht club. I only made last night's comment in jest. The family supports MH parking on all piers due to the similarly between us and boating folks.
The difficulty is the dockland authority is using us land base parking for extra revenue.
If any national or international event was to be organised in any of our parishes, of course, someone would make a handful of dollars.
Just to be totally honest, no one has has questioned my offer, so the offer has expired.
Malcolm

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2018  ·  #10
I wonder if it is their intention to raise the barrier so that the pier head will be available again??
Pity to think that some people brought about the closure, and like yourselves I wonder where they have gone to now.
Franco

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.