crank up sat dish

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

crank up sat dish

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #1
hi folks. thinking of purchasing in the new year. i have no experience of using a dish at all. any help regarding -make size-model-would be appreciated. a dish that would get irish and uk channels in spain would be a priority. thank,s folks.ps. crank up system would be my option.

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

Re: crank up sat dish

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #2
crank up as far as I know in Spain you have NO chance .

Even an Oyster 85 auto seek will only work down a bit on the BBC ITV astra 2 channels. If you have sky and box in van as it is on a slightly stronger signal you get it a bit further down but the lobes can be hit and miss.
This is just my experience and I may be wrong. I know for sure once I hit Valencia I got nout. I get sky news but thats on Astra1 and thats it.
France is no bother on the Oyster 85 system

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #3
interesting. what do you suggest i get to be able to recieve a signal. i have not any idea of ..oyster/astra/lobes /etc. all help appreciated.

Robbie
Starline S680
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #4
Some of the guys will know better than I but basically astra 2 moved it orbit more north a year or so back meaning people in spain with houses then needed a 1.5m dish. So when you think of it that way in a van we have no chance.

this is not camper related but you will get a feeling for it given that a camper dish can be 40 to 85 cm.

http://www.a516digital.com/201…-dish.html

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #5
thanks robbie,for that info. maybe some of the folks in spain touring at the moment ,might have a bit of info too. id be interested to know if they have reception or not. thanks again robbie. il wait and see if anyone has more info for me.

Robbie
Starline S680
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #6
Quote by the irish rover

thanks robbie,for that info. maybe some of the folks in spain touring at the moment ,might have a bit of info too. id be interested to know if they have reception or not. thanks again robbie. il wait and see if anyone has more info for me.

Your most welcome, Our last dish was a 60cm Manuel crank up and only worked around half way down france once they changed the orbit on astra 2. We Only got this Oyster auto 85 system in july with the change of van and noticed a big difference but problems in spain.
What we normally do is download series or new release films to hard drive and watch them while we are away for a few months. This works well all round as you can be in places at times with a dish pointing at a tree :(.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #7
Thomas theres No chance of getting it in Spain in a van Sky had the Sat footprint shrunk a few years ago to stop free TV so bring films and a nice Jigsaw :D

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #8
With free roaming now why not get an IPTV account and firestick or Chromecast for your TV?

We have a snipe satellite (which is useless once you are south of about the 44th parallel (Bordeaux ish))

We have recently noticed we are watching more and more online when away in the van.

The price of a good satellite system is a whole lot of data.

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #9
Hi Dave.thanks for reply.i had a pm from a subscriber who is in the Murcia region at the moment.he is receiving rte,s and 3,s . He has a maxview 65cm dish. UK channels were lost on his way down in South of France.strange that he has channels Dave.thanks for your comments anyway.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Dish Size

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #10
You will need a metre plus dish , you can receive down to Bordeaux. If you have space under you van you could make a carrier for a big dish and a pole to mount it on, but you will need a card to get Irish stations . Astra 1 is no problem if you can speak French,German,Dutch and Italian. I go to Benidorm and on site they have a cable plug in giving 6 or more stations in the different languages captured through a giant dish

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #11
the satellites

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2017  ·  #12
I have a 1.2m dish at my house in southern Catalonia and I cannot get anything on Astra 2, I can get sky news and a load of Arabic channels on astra1 but nothing main stream, we now stream via the Internet

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #13
Thomas I can't get rte or TV3 in Ardmore in Waterford don't mind Spain and they are not available on satalite unless using a sky type box

Liked by: reflexsean

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #14
Does the RTE stream run on 19.2e ?
If so that would be an option more south as that footprint is bigger.
But IPTV is the best option providing you have sufficient data.

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #15
hi jon. as far as i know. rte are on -astra e, 28.5 e and astra f,28.2 e. im by no means an expert [far from it] but i think these are right.thanks for your info.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #16
Sitting here in Mazarron on a sunny day our old (2006) 65cm Maxview Crank-up is bringing in:

RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e, Sky Lioving, W, Gold, Dave, Comedy central, RTE1+1, Be3, tv3+1, Sky Arts, Fox, MTV, Comedy Cental +1, Comedy Extra, Sky Living +1, aliby, Challenge, Pick, Viceland, TLC +1, Sony Channel, Comedy Extra +1, Sky Two, Gold +1, Challenge +1, Real Lives, Real Lives +1, Propeller, Lifetime +1, Property Show, TLC +1, mytv, Showcase, W +1, Dave ja vu, Sky Atlantic +1, Alibi +1, Discovery Shed, Home & Health +1, Dmax, Dmax +1, Food +1, Home +1, Travel Channel, Forces TV,
Nat Geo, Nat Geo +1, Nat Geo wild, History, History +1, H2, Eden +1, Disc. History +1, Yesterday +1, ID +1, Crime & investigation, Discovers Science +1, Blaze and all news channels.

A few drop out if it rains heavily, which is not often. The same channels are the first to go when we head further south/west.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #17
Quote by baguette

Sitting here in Mazarron on a sunny day our old (2006) 65cm Maxview Crank-up is bringing in:

RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e, Sky Lioving, W, Gold, Dave, Comedy central, RTE1+1, Be3, tv3+1, Sky Arts, Fox, MTV, Comedy Cental +1, Comedy Extra, Sky Living +1, aliby, Challenge, Pick, Viceland, TLC +1, Sony Channel, Comedy Extra +1, Sky Two, Gold +1, Challenge +1, Real Lives, Real Lives +1, Propeller, Lifetime +1, Property Show, TLC +1, mytv, Showcase, W +1, Dave ja vu, Sky Atlantic +1, Alibi +1, Discovery Shed, Home & Health +1, Dmax, Dmax +1, Food +1, Home +1, Travel Channel, Forces TV,
Nat Geo, Nat Geo +1, Nat Geo wild, History, History +1, H2, Eden +1, Disc. History +1, Yesterday +1, ID +1, Crime & investigation, Discovers Science +1, Blaze and all news channels.

A few drop out if it rains heavily, which is not often. The same channels are the first to go when we head further south/west.

I take it you are using a skybox and subscription, which satellite are you pointing the dish at?

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #18
hi colin. thanks for that. enjoy the trip.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #19
Quote by the fat controller

Quote by baguette

I take it you are using a skybox and subscription, which satellite are you pointing the dish at?

Isn't against the terms of the contract to take an Irish Sky box and card outside of Ireland <_<

My dish is pointed to 28.2E

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #20
Isn't against the terms of the contract to take an Irish Sky box and card outside of Ireland <_<

I have absolutely no idea as I got rid of sky many years ago fed up being robbed every month.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #21
Quote by the fat controller

I have absolutely no idea as I got rid of sky many years ago fed up being robbed every month.

'was a rhetorical question :-|

Robbie
Starline S680
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.12.2017  ·  #22
Quote by baguette

Are you on the sky or going to enlighten us as a 1.2 m dish wont pick up astra 2 that far south

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2017  ·  #23

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2017  ·  #24
Quote by Robbie

Quote by baguette

Are you on the sky or going to enlighten us as a 1.2 m dish wont pick up astra 2 that far south

One of the S.E.S. constellations of satellites is the Astra group at 28.2 East. Sky is only one of the organisations which pays to use this constellation, on which it broadcasts its pay to view list of programmes.
There are also many free to view programs coming from the same constellation.

My set-up is a 65cm dish pointed at the Astra 28.2 position which is picking up the channels I've listed.
As I've also said, it's contrary to the T's & C's of a Sky contract to use one of their cards to watch their pay to view channels outside if its intended area, but I'm sure many do.
To combat the above situation S.E.S. added satellites like 2E with its UK spot beam to limit UK channel availability to their target audience.
Unfortunately, or fortunately for us, the limited availability of such spot beam transponders means some channels are still on wider Europe beams.
Being so far south in Spain it would appear the those I've listed would be those still on a Europe beam. The 'missing' channels are obviously on a UK spot beam and require a very large dish to pick up, if available at all.

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2017  ·  #25
sat beams-satellite details-astra2e

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2017  ·  #26
from memory

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

crank up sat dish.

· 
Posted: 06.12.2017  ·  #27
hi folks ,thanks for all the comments good and not so good. i finally got to the answer i wanted to hear. i also found out that the person,s that knows what there are talking about, will become evident in the end. anyway all good now,and i dont have to bring the [books and the jigsaw] with me. thank,s again folks.

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2017  ·  #28
I'm currently ooking at this also for La Zenia area in Spain (Half way between Alicante City and Cartagena)

https://www.ses.com/our-coverage/satellites/345
Shows the coverage area of Astra 2 28.2 Europe and required dish size for a system to work as described by Bagette

General info regarding RTE reception from a guy who does Sat installations in Spain
http://www.satandpcguy.com/uk-…elevision/

Data on the Oyster85 on their brochure indicates that it is suitable for the Astra 2 28.2 with an appropriate decoder (Sky Box).
Other dish options also no doubt.

You can easily get Sky News, BBC News CNN, Cartoon channels and a few more channels in English with any decoder box on Astra 19 which has a 'strong' signal in Spain.

Joe

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2017  ·  #29
If you go for

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2017  ·  #30
As before getting some of Astra 28 channels in south of portugal with 85 cm dish

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2017  ·  #31
Quote by witzend

Quote by the irish rover

hi folks. thinking of purchasing in the new year. i have no experience of using a dish at all. any help regarding -make size-model-would be appreciated. a dish that would get irish and uk channels in spain would be a priority. thank,s folks.ps. crank up system would be my option.

If you go for the Manual crankup dish it would ideally be minimum 85 cm larger would be better. Also your sat receiver needs to have a easy find facility which is fast responding the Maxview receiver has this facility also I've got a Aldi receiver Silver Crest thats the same perhaps others might be able to suggest different receivers with this facility. Most sky boxes that I've tried don't and are very slow to respond to a signal making it easy to miss the signal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…5Urf8-2v4M

Astra 28.8 is the first to show up when turning the dish from North to South so once the elevation is set it's real easy to find. I use the sky box signal bars on the Services menu, 4.6 in conjunction with ONE OF THESE and I usually get a lock on in less than a minute.

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2017  ·  #32
Anybody using a "Crank-Up" system in Spain/Portugal could easily align to Intelsat 907 (27.5 W) and pick up the UK channels from the BBC Satback transponder. All you need is an additional receiver, such as the ICECRYPT S1600CHD, and the patience to set up the box to receive these UK channels. All the information required for doing this is available on the internet.
The receiver can be used in tandem with your Sky box and you will then have both your Irish and UK channels. 'Her Indoors' can now watch all the Soaps while you enjoy a quiet beer, or two. Happy Days!!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.