Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

School car parks as Aires?

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #1
There seems to be strong interest in Aires with basic services for about a tenner a night.

This got me thinking about suitable places that could do with a few bob at weekends and summer time / school holidays.

Almost every parish has a school, most have a surfaced, level car park. With little or no investment they could be used as seasonal aires and being in additional income to schools.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

School car parks as Aires?

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #2
Quote by Eamonn

There seems to be strong interest in Aires with basic services for about a tenner a night.

This got me thinking about suitable places that could do with a few bob at weekends and summer time / school holidays.

Almost every parish has a school, most have a surfaced, level car park. With little or no investment they could be used as seasonal aires and being in additional income to schools.

I like your thinking , I have always considered schools to be the most underused facilities in the country.
Swimming pools are another public space with car parks and facilities that would not take a big investment to turn them into an Air. like the one in Askeaton co Limerick.
It would be interesting to know what costs would be involved in installing a barrier and a credit card machine.

Another one that is always in a prime location in towns and villages and never used at weekends are Council offices, and public

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Re: School car parks as Aires?

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #3
You could prepay by paypal or similar, you'd get a key code for the barrier or gate. Most playground / car parks would have electricity on site and an outdoor tap. Find a safe method of black disposal and bring your rubbish with you.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #4
Happens a lot in NI with the MH & Caravan clubs using them, but it was only the clubs until lately.
GAA, Rugby and football clubs could also be used.

There is a network of ready made Aire's, if it could be implemented. It also brings us back to THIS

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #5
Id say they would have insurance problems in ROI , it is a good idea so it wont happen :devil:

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #6
Insurance would no doubt be a problem,clubs like the ICCC have their own insurance which helps in dealing with sports clubs. Schools I think would be delighted with the income if they could overcome the insurance problem.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #7
When you get pass the insurance issue, then you will be hit with the change in land use, ie planning permission. At the end of that, a farting carbon emissions tax will be levied at the price of one night stay in a 5 star hotel. This country has a cannot attitude with a common sense proposal.
Malcolm

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2017  ·  #8
I have been to many schools,GAA,rugby clubs,with different motor home and caravan clubs,so it can be done,but you must have insurance.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2017  ·  #9
Every club / school should have public liability that covers their car park.

What I'm suggesting is parking in a car park, can't see any issues with change of use.

What would the issues be regarding insurance? If we park at own risk. If you pull up on the side if the road "wild Camping" you do so at your own risk.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2017  ·  #10
Quote by Eamonn

Every club / school should have public liability that covers their car park.

What I'm suggesting is parking in a car park, can't see any issues with change of use.

What would the issues be regarding insurance? If we park at own risk. If you pull up on the side if the road "wild Camping" you do so at your own risk.

Afraid it doesn’t work like that. We have a sports club and pay close on €2500 insurance each year plus additional premiums for open days if we have them.
We have 3 unofficial stopover pitches with EHU/Water and toilets, we cannot insure them unless we jump through hoops and comply with bullshit bureaucracy which we are not prepared to do and therefore they remain closed to the public and remain for members use only.
Afraid it’s a minefield regarding insurance, and cover will be denied if compliance isn’t 100%.
The price we pay for the “H&S” mentality is stifling any entrepreneurship with the fear of litigation... sad, ain’t it ?

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2017  ·  #11
Ah well it was a good idea while it lasted

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2017  ·  #12
Quote by Thorn123

When you get pass the insurance issue, then you will be hit with the change in land use, ie planning permission. At the end of that, a farting carbon emissions tax will be levied at the price of one night stay in a 5 star hotel. This country has a cannot attitude with a common sense proposal.
Malcolm

Change of use isn't relevant.
A few years ago Galway City Council tried to stop the overnight parking at the Galway Harbour Company car park.
However, after it pointed out to them that the planning permission for the car park did not specify which category of vehicle may or may not park there, the council had to reverse their position on the matter.
Result, the overnight parking was reinstated.

The lesson learned was that once a car parking area has planning permission or is part of a development with planning permission, unless motor caravans, or any other category of vehicle, are specifically excluded in the grant of planning they may park there like any other vehicle.

Similarly, in relation to public liability insurance which includes cover related to parking of vehicles, if that cover does not restrict the category of vehicle there should be no problem.

All the above only applies to parking and any outside camping type of activity must be expressly forbidden.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.