baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Kenmare

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #1
Notification of a planning application for a motorhome park in Kenmare was forwarded to me recently. The application mentioned reception area, toilets and showers plus a laundry room, buts strangely no mention of a services bay.

When discussing the proposals with the developer it turned out that he had been advised by consultants in Northern Ireland and was following their recommendations regarding the nature of what should be provided. The net result is to be a development similar to a 5* camping and caravan park. The capitol investment is expected to require an overnight charge in the region of €25 to enable eventual profitability.

Obviously there are 'experts' out there who do not understand just what a motorhome parking place is and the minimal services required.
Kenmare is a beautiful town to spend a night or two in so lets hope we eventually see an offering similar to what's available in Ardmore, Cobh and Carlingford to name just three if the best examples in Ireland.

Subject:

Re: Kenmare

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #2
Hopefully you can correct them prior to commencement.
This is what we have said time and time again, these people are either getting the wrong advice or not listening to the advice given.
Probably the same consultants who advised on the Aire at Portglenone where there is total overkill on french gadgets and again no drive over drain.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Kenmare

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #3
Why would anyone expect anything different , that is Healy-Rae country.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #4
I don't see much wrong with €25 a night where an investment has been made to provide a new up to date facility in a beautiful part of the world.
I'd certainly pay it.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #5
@baguette

Can you PM whom the advisors were? Very interested to find out where this mis-information is coming from and see if I can make contact.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #6
Quote by Eamonn

I don't see much wrong with €25 a night where an investment has been made to provide a new up to date facility in a beautiful part of the world.
I'd certainly pay it.

I would pay it too, if I needed all the facilities included in the price.
However, I have them all on board my motothome so why would I pay for what I don't need.
I get on well enough in places like Ardmore, Cobh and dozens of other motorhome parking areas throughout Europe without external facilities.
All I need/want is a safe place to park and a services bay.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Kenmare

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #7
That price also tells that its a caravan park, and not a bad price as things go. But its not a motorhome stopover.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #8
Quote by Ally

@baguette

Can you PM whom the advisors were? Very interested to find out where this mis-information is coming from and see if I can make contact.

PM sent

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #9
Quote by baguette

PM sent

Thanks, but I think, unfortunately, it will be fruitless for myself to contact them.

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #10
I for one will not use it @ that price. Sneem is up the road ( a former caravan park) for e10/e15 with electricity. Free now until next March. Beat that.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #11
All the information the Council needs is HERE (click HERE)

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2017  ·  #12
I cannot understand why there is still this idea that Motorhomes require full site facilities when all essentials are onboard,ok we all know that there will be a few that do not like to use all the onboard facilities so for them then let them pay whatever they like,for the rest of us just give us a parking area with grey and black waste disposal.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Kenmare

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #13
Quote by ntg

I cannot understand why there is still this idea that Motorhomes require full site facilities when all essentials are onboard,

There is probably a bigger tourist grant or tax write off for a caravan park.
You won't get much of a claim for a piece of concrete with a holes in the middle and a manhole at the side.
You're in fixer country after all.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #14
Why not name the consultants and we can raise our concerns with then directly.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #15
Quote by sprinter

There is probably a bigger tourist grant or tax write off for a caravan park.
You won't get much of a claim for a piece of concrete with a holes in the middle and a manhole at the side.
You're in fixer country after all.

This sketch sums up Irish politics for me perfectly !

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #16
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Why not name the consultants and we can raise our concerns with then directly.

The body of people they are representing have made it clear they want no input from MHC, they have their own agenda. You are in the Facebook page.

If that attitude changes, I would be more than happy to discuss.

Myself and Colin are talking directly to the planners.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #17
Quote by Ally

Myself and Colin are talking directly to the planners.

Developer.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #18
I would of preferred of whatever has went on between myself and Jim was left out of the Kenmare discussions as they do not belong together. So can we not elaborate on them in this topic please and stick to a discussion about Kenmare.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #19
No such thing as bad advertising................................ it will surly be a well known Aire by the time the discussions are over ! :)

I have contacted the developer on behalf of MHC and it's members.

At this point, I agree with Colin about it being 'too much' for a Motorhome stopover, but if that's what the developer wants and it is his private land then that is up to him. I will await a reply if it is forthcoming.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #20
Quote by retired and loving it

.............................................................. this site will be a 5* site for a 5*town..............................................

A 5* what kind of site.

There's an add currently on CNN about an apple. To use it as an example here.
You might call it an Aire, you might talk about it as an Aire, you might even come to believe it's an Aire. But if it looks like a caravan park, its still a caravan park.
Okay, so there won't be any caravans or tents, but it will still be a caravan park with access restricted to motor caravans only.

It will surely be regretted if the only option to stay in Kenmare in years to come is this new concept (motorhome park) and we are denied parking at normal prices in something like this.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #21
The concept seems similar to the growing trend in France (often outside campsites) to provide Aires with individual, bookable pitches with WiFi and other features within a barrier controlled piece of ground.

http://en.airecampingcar.com

Whilst it might not appeal to everyone, there is obviously a market for it. Choice is all, and I think the push to try and obtain standard ‘french’ style free or cheap parking should continue. The concept of pub/restaurant overnight provision is equally valid.

I firmly believe that the growth in motorhoming in Ireland and the likely increase in foreign vans on the back of improving facilities will produce more parking of varied types in the future, and the more provision, the better.

Davy

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #22
Come on Lads, Take a chill pill!
I have not been very active on the site for the last few months due to other commitments and cant get over the way things are going in the Motorhome scene in Ireland, it is the case of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. when I started Motorhoming MHC and the Phoenix Motorhome Club Were doing Trojan work for the Plight of Motorhomers and we were getting places, now this work is been diluted by the numerous new Facebook groups all out to win points over each other. I am not taking any sides on this one I just wish we had a united front going forward like we had. Also if I wanted facebook comments I would go on facebook, I personally don,t want to be reading them here on the site. I am not directing my comments to anyone personally.

Rant over, Onwards and upwards for Motorhoming in Ireland

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2017  ·  #23
Quote by CHAUSSON

Come on Lads, Take a chill pill!
I have not been very active on the site for the last few months due to other commitments and cant get over the way things are going in the Motorhome scene in Ireland, it is the case of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. when I started Motorhoming MHC and the Phoenix Motorhome Club Were doing Trojan work for the Plight of Motorhomers and we were getting places, now this work is been diluted by the numerous new Facebook groups all out to win points over each other. I am not taking any sides on this one I just wish we had a united front going forward like we had. Also if I wanted facebook comments I would go on facebook, I personally don,t want to be reading them here on the site. I am not directing my comments to anyone personally.

Rant over, Onwards and upwards for Motorhoming in Ireland

Well said.

thepilote
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #24
I am not a member of the Phoenix club but am a member of the Iccc and all clubs get good discounts from site owners. So book prices do not apply. Just to add I do not know any of the people commenting on Kenmare.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #25
Surely a lively debate is what the site is about.

I have'nt been to Kenmare in the van but it was on my list for a visit next year. I believe there are several unofficial spots there which are used for overnight parking at present.

I feel the reason there seems to be opposition to this proposed new Campsite is that existing parking places that exist in Kenmare at present will be stopped when the new site opens. This has happened before in other areas fuelled by camp site owners.

The proposed development in Kenmare is quiet small with approx. 14 pitches. I imagine it will be booked out during the summer and unable to cater for the amount of campers that actually visit Kenmare. It would then seem unreasonable for the local Council to clamp down on the existing parking spots, in my opinion.

Personally I think we should welcome any development which cater for Motorhomes. At least it shows that some people realise their value to local communities and the additional revenue they create.

I think its good to see groups coming together and forgetting about past hurts.
At the end of the day our objectives are the same. Enjoying our hobby and having a good trip whenever we can get away.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #26
Can't see this being economically viable. 14 pitches @€25 a night at 40% occupancy year round grosses about €64k. When you take operating costs, rates and staffing into account there won't be much left in the kitty to cover the development costs.
Just my 2c.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #27
Well 'retired and loving it' It's nice to be attacked at a personal level.
BTW I'm not the P.R.O. of The Phoenix Motorhome Club. The clubs rally activities and venues should be of no concern to anyone except its members. I don't understand why you considered them relevant to this issue.

I'm not attacking any person or persons, it's not my style. It wasn't I who brought names into this discussion, either here or on FB.

It's the new concept I don't understand and from that lack of understanding find it hard to support, perhaps I need some enlightenment.
Please consider that I have been caravanning since the early 80's and touring Europe by motorhome for over 12 years now with over 120.000km under my belt and thousands of nights away, spent in caravan and camping sites and Aires, Stellplatz, Aree di Sostas and Área de Autocaravanas et al . I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly.

The issue I have is with the creation of an alternative motorhome parking product unique to Ireland. Where does this new concept of a fully serviced motorhome park in the same mould as a traditional caravanning and camping park fit in the scheme of things. How is it to be sold to a motorhome based tourist who from experience throughout mainland Europe is seeking a facility based on the now common Aire de Stationnement pour Camping-car concept, of which there are over 20,000, or a traditional caravanning and camping park.

As I've said, the best of luck to the developer in Kenmare. However my only concern is this new concept will be detrimental to the expansion of the network of Aires in Ireland and will also add to the confusion which exists as to what exactly is being proposed when we talk to local authorities and private developers, who may be considering providing motorhome parking for their city/town/village.
Budgets are tight for most and particularly so for local authorities and it is in everyone interest to keep things simple and as low cost as practical. Low cost need not equate to low quality.

I simply do not understand the rational behind this new 'motorhome park' concept.
Where is the demand, apart from a few who do not want to poo or shower in their own facilities. Visit any of the Aires in Europe and Ireland and you will find them full with people who have no issue with that.

If I want a nice grass or clay pitch with hedges or fences, toilets, showers, ehu, water on pitch, laundry room etc. i will choose a campsite and pay the going rate.
If I don't, I will use the facilities on board and use an Aire and pay the fee required, which usually ranges from free to €10/12.
It's a simple choice.
As for a third option :-/

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #28
Reinventing the wheel is a recurring theme in this country, best practice from other countries is very rarely followed unless there is a unique twist put on to it that negates the original concept.
This proposed development is yet another example , a gated park inside a suburban setting for motorhomes is strange to say the least.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #29
Jim there is the possibility that the cool reception that this project has received by MHC is an indication that quite a lot of motorhomers are just looking for a simple parking area with minimal facilities and at a decent charge.
Now this does not make it wrong for those that want this kind of a setup at an inflated price and if this individual is spending his own money then he is entitled to do that but the issue will be, are there enough people who will use it to make it viable?

thepilote
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #30
You quite simply have hit the nail on the head.

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #31
Am I missing something here?

Is this development not just a new Campsite facilty albeit limited to Motorhomes?
Are we not all Motorhome owners here or is there some argument because caravans or camping will not be allowed?

From what I can see from this proposed development seems to be aimed at giving a secure, 1st class overnight parking facility within 5mins walk to the centre of Kinsale. If the fee to stay is no greater than a regular Campsite then what seems to be the problem?

Surely the Developer has looked into the payback and perhaps is more interested in bringing people into the Town than making a killing.

Sure, some people might not want to sh*t or shower in their van and if polled I bet the percentage of owners who prefer to use external toilet facilities is a lot greater than a few.
None of the Aires provide toilet facilities other that a means to empty cassettes. €10 to a poor farmer to park in the middle of a field is no great value.

For those who would prefer to have better facilities and are willing to pay for it then roll on this development.

Personally I generally wildcamp and only use campsites when the location or situation suits. The option to have facilities available if rquired surely cannot be a disadvantage.

I know none of the people involved in this and have no interest in it other than not to agree with some of the comments.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #32
Quote by Erazmus

Am I missing something here?

Sure, some people might not want to sh*t or shower in their van and if polled I bet the percentage of owners who prefer to use external toilet facilities is a lot greater than a few.

Personally I generally wildcamp and only use campsites when the location or situation suits. The option to have facilities available if rquired surely cannot be a disadvantage.

I am happy to declare that we bought a Motorhome with a toilet and showed fitted and we are more than happy to use these facilities even if other facilities are available.
We do a lot of wildcamping but will pay to park if we feel like it but we will not pay campsite rates for an Aires.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #33
Sort of agree Erazmus, the guy obviously has his homework done and thinks there is an opening for such a venture, I suppose time will tell.

It’s not unusual that these so called “experts” consultants are very much hit and miss in these things as they generally never have been in business themselves and haven’t put up their own capital for anything business related in their life and in any case they don’t have the balls to do it anyway but recon they know better, I certainly hope this business proposal isn’t built solely on their expertise.

It’s a different product offering, a bit too close to a campsite model if truth be told, but still it’s another option for the motorhoming community and that in itself is to be welcomed. It doesn’t conform to the usual expectations of an Aire, but as another poster has stated, ‘it isn’t an aire’ .... so let’s wait and see, market forces, pricing structure and the motorhome community continued and regular participation in such a venture will determine its success or otherwise.

I don’t know the developer/consultants nor even the area, but I wish it every success.

On an aside, while criticism, constructive or otherwise is welcomed and to be encouraged in a debate, I and no doubt others find personal attracks and derogatory comments somewhat not in keeping with a community that generally have comradely and friendship as a prerequisite to being a member. Let’s try and keep it that way shall we.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #34
Quote by retired and loving it

............................................. What is wrong with a third option. Is it not giving more choice, is it not creating jobs?, ....................................

A third option !! is it not a 5* caravanning and camping park limited to motorhomes only.
What differentiates it from Eagle Point or The Flesk or The Woodlands, for example, other than MH's only allowed.

Forgive me, but I still can't get my head around the whole idea of people thinking it will be some kind of deluxe new type of Aire Stationnement pour Camping-car. I can't see anything other than a traditional campsite restricted to motorhomes.

Has anyone considered that when this establishment is open for business Kerry Co.Co. will try and ban MH parking at all the traditional places in the area and the only option will be the MH Park, take it or leave the area.

Anyone remember the Dunmore East fiasco, a €500,000 'motorhome park' 50% funded by grants.
The target market abandoned the area when the charges turned out to be €20+ and the place is now operating as a regular caravan and camping park which includes mobile homes. Save The Shanoon

As regard jobs.
If it's jobs to run the business that equals costs which must be covered by charges.
If it's jobs in the community a simpler facility with accommodation for a higher number of visitors would give a better return. Remember, the 30 bays at Cobh are often over subscribed. Before the bye-laws came into force there were often in excess of 50 MH's on good weekend with maybe 50% with overseas and NI registrations, so genuine visitors/tourists, not locals..

Ye can talk away among yourselves now, I've no more to say 🇧🇭

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #35
Quote by JJF

On an aside, while criticism, constructive or otherwise is welcomed and to be encouraged in a debate, I and no doubt others find personal attracks and derogatory comments somewhat not in keeping with a community that generally have comradely and friendship as a prerequisite to being s member. Let’s try and keep it that way shall we.

Here here JJF, MHC has been very good at debating and let us hope that it stays that way for many years to come.
From time to time we will have our differences of opinion but that is when it is time to move on.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #36
Well lads. I have no idea of the past differences ye guys have had. But I bet the guy hoping to develop this site is hoping that ye are not using his potential facility as a means to verbally take potshots at one another. For me personally I wish him all the best and hope it works out for him. I have never been to Kenmare so can’t comment on any facilities there, but it is not the type of setup I could see myself using unless I needed to be in Kenmare and there was nothing else available

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #37
Personal I welcome any development for the touring trade, be it MH, caravan, camping etc.
By individuals risking their own money to start a new business in this country, I will be the first person to take my hat off and congratulate them on their efforts.
This wonderful Republic of ours, is a greed so in so. The amount of state and private agencies looking for a piece of a business person pie is boarding on criminal racketeering. If you are in doubt, watch David Mc Williams on Tv3 for an education.
With regard to the design aspects of the proposed development, it is only a proposal, a concept. The reality is the finished product will be different to the proposed plan because the council will have their own policy and concepts to follow. If the developer it smart and done their homework, they should have an idea of the council policy and taken some of the council opinion into their design
I have never been to Kenmare but for all that I know maybe the sewerage plant in Kenmare can't handle MH toilet chemicals. Possibly a dump station is not an option. I am only saying this for the purpose of debate.
The major thing here for future reference, is the council views on the project and their recommendations.
To be a successful lobbyist, you must be well informed of your opposite views and opinions. I believe that this is a project to observe because if it is successful and planning permission is granted then MH will vote with their feet or wheels. If people feel that the price per night in unfair then they will be gone but if the services provided exceed people expectations then it will be difficult to get a booking .
Just my thoughts,
Malcolm.
Ps, I am all about a debate but I do not want to witness a pissing contest again on mhc.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Kenmare

· 
Posted: 10.11.2017  ·  #38
I can see two potential problems with this .it will be used by councils and others as an example.
if it works it will be promoted as the way forward ( the wrong way ) .
If it fails it will be it will be used as an example why they shouldn't waste money on that Motorhome crowd.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2017  ·  #39
I have sat back and watched the debate unfold so now I’m putting my tuppence in.

This facility is possibly not the first of its kind, there is one in the north. This one, which a few on here have been to, is both in competition to the campsites and in a tourist area. The council are now removing the ability for Motorhomes to park, but, it has not been the facility which has caused that, it has been the inconsiderate actions of motorhomers along with the misconceptions of the general public.

The motorhome facility I am referring to is in Newcastle and while some time back we applauded the efforts of the individuals who persevered through beauocricy to get it up and running how many have actually went and both stayed and paid for the facilities provided. I know I haven’t so can’t confirm the exact facilities and the quality of the overall provision.

So a third option has potentially already been set up, it has not closed sites, it has not closed “wild” camping spots, it is still in business. While some like the idea and others don’t and should this facility get the green light we as a collective will either support it or ignore it. It will not take away the ability to keep lobbying the councils and tourist boards for dedicated parking areas at little or no cost similar to Cobh and I don’t think it will make the job of doing so anymore difficult as the proposed development is not an Aire it’s a campsite which is restricted to Motorhomes. The restrictions in clientele, the location around domestic property and proximity to free flowing water will make it very difficult to get the project passed the various agencies and residents, one small newt or a bat and it may go nowhere. It is down to the planning/council departments and if there are credible objections or approvals for the project to go ahead or not.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2017  ·  #40
Very nice in theory and I am sure it will attract Motorhome owners who really want to be on a campsite. I can't say I wouldn't stay there (maybe once just to admire).

In my opinion there may be a few minor flaws.

Service point at entry and not near exit. In my experience Motorhome owners tend want to do their services when leaving. This layout will cause the leaving vehicles to re-enter to do services and then drive through the site again. This could cause congestion near reception at busy times.

Pitches are overly generous in size.

BBQ area in a motorhome park? Surely most of us prefer to do this outside their own van.

I look at this and think this is a belt and braces approach where the owner is thinking if it doesn't work as a motorhome park it can be used as a caravan site.

Best of luck to him but he may need more advice before commencing.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.