us2
Craic'er
My Motorhome: , Laika ecovip
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

12 volt while driving.

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #1
My Electrolux fridge is working fine on gas but its not going to battery when driving. Gas bottle ran out of gas and flashed red, so I changed it for a new one. All running again on gas. But why not on 12 volt. Am I doing something wrong. It's a 2003 ducato with a aes Electrolux fridge. Thanks.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: 12 volt while driving.

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #2
Usually a fused relay up front that switches when engine is running to supply +12 volts to fridge.
Need to establish if fridge is getting voltage when running, also checking that enough current is available too.... if so then you have a fridge problem. It's more than likely a supply problem, worth checking the relay and fuse first at any rate.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #3
As mentioned check fuse and relay but also 12v switch at fridge. A while back I had problem with 12v and it was as simple as fuse not making proper contact...it had become loose. Hope you get sorted.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #4
Did you try it manually on 12v when engine running

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2017  ·  #5
Quote by cool

My Electrolux fridge is working fine on gas but its not going to battery when driving. Gas bottle ran out of gas and flashed red, so I changed it for a new one. All running again on gas. But why not on 12 volt. Am I doing something wrong. It's a 2003 ducato with a aes Electrolux fridge. Thanks.

Coming late to this thread, but I've just started to experience the same problem.
When on AES (Automatic Energy Selection) the fridge is not changing over to 12v when the engine is running, nor will it go to 12v when manually selected (when the engine is running).
The control unit for the 12v side of things is a CBE 520 unit.

How did you solve your issue, which seems to have been the same as mine.

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #6
Hi Colin, saw your post this morning and would like to offer my opinion, for what it's worth, although I have not been part of this thread previously.
I am assuming your unit is a "CBE-DS-520" which is the distribution/consumer unit which supplies the various 12 volt circuits in your motorhome. Depending on the model, there are a number of different types as they are customised by the motorhome manufacturers to their individual specifications, the fuse for the fridge tends to move position. However, it is mostly in position 6 and is a 30 amp fuse.
I would suggest that you check here first making sure that the fuse holder is OK as a lot of heat can be generated by the load from the fridge. This can cause the fuse holder to lose tensile strength and result in a bad connection and cause the fridge to operate intermittently
If all is OK here then check for 12 volt supply, at the fridge, when engine running. If there is no supply voltage then things are now going to become a little more involved. i.e. you will now need to dig deeper into the DS unit and check the internal connections. If you have your motorhome from new you should have a schematic wiring diagram for your 12 volt system.
There are a number of plugs/sockets inside the unit and, from memory, the + (positive supply) for the fridge comes through plug number 22 which is coloured RED. The fridge supply will be on pin 2 or 3. The plug has a RIDGE on one corner and if you look at it with that ridge at top left, then pin 1 is the top left corner with 2 and 3 vertically below.
Plug number 27 which is white, and is the largest plug there (12 connections) carries all the negative connections. It would be a good idea to disconnect both of these plugs, 22 and 27, and check the pins, in both plug and socket, for signs of overheating.
That should be enough for you to check, for the moment, and hopefully you will find the problem. Otherwise, it gets a little more complicated from here. Come back if you don't get it sorted.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #7
Thanks Stoney,
As you say the 30amp fuse does carry quite a load and there is the signs of heating where it plugs in, but all is ok there. The Fridge fuse No. 6 and all the others are ok.
I think my problem is with the bit on the PCB which manages the connection to/from B1, (in the old days it was a simple split charge relay, easy to find and replace) there is power at the input to the terminal +B1 but the control panel over the door is not indicating a B1 to B2 connection like it usually does as in the attached photo, the symbol of the two batteries connected and the G symbol are not coming on when the engine is running..
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Stoney
Just doing it!
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #8
As i stated previously, these units are customised for the various motorhome manufacturers who use them and some of them do have a Charge/Fridge relay mounted on the PCB. This relay can be replaced if one can get hold of one. What you are saying is that, not only is your AES fridge not working, but your habitation battery is not charging either?? What you need to check is do you have the required ignition input on plug 25 pin 2. This is a small 2 pin plug, red colour, just above the +B1 terminal. You should have, minimum, 13 volts here when the engine is running. This triggers the change-over circuit but is voltage dependent. If you have the correct voltage here it is possible that you have a component failure which might mean replacing the DS unit, and that means, unfortunately, going back to the motorhome manufacturer.
Alternatively, a good electronics engineer should be able to sort it. Probably cost less too.
Something else that you might check is the 'AES Link', this is just to the left of plug 22, the red 9 pin plug I mentioned in my previous post. If this is broken or loose it would stop the fridge from working but I don't think it would stop the battery from charging.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #9
Had a similar problem very recently with my electrolux fridge.

I checked the Electroblock EBL99 unit under one of the seats and all the fuses attached. All OK. I opened up the EBL up and after changing the internal fuse and checking over, replaced the relay with a £4 one of ebay. I could now hear the relay clicking in but still no 12v power to fridge.

I found an aftermarket fuse holder near the main battery with a very sad looking fuse in it. I cut out the fuse holder and replaced with a new one.
We now have the red fridge light coming on once the engine starts.

Stoney
Just doing it!
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2017  ·  #10
Sounds like you had a little bit of a struggle with that one Eamonn. However, you got there in the end. Motorhome/Caravan fridges can be troublesome when running on 12 volt as the components, such as fuse holders, plugs and sockets etc., are not really up to carrying the loads and can, and do, fail. Always check your wiring connections/joints first before taking everything else apart.
Your Electroblock was manufactured by Schaudt, in Germany, and they are a great company to deal with if you need assistance. Unlike CBE in Italy, they will deal direct with the public and even offer a repair service for these EBL units. You can also download manuals and diagrams from their website. If you can't find your specific unit listed then just E-mail them and they will send the information to you.
Happy motorhoming!!

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #11
Thanks for all your input Stoney.
I finally got around to checking all the connections and voltages at the points you suggested. First one I checked was the ignition signal which was present after starting the engine :-) and when I checked the display it showed a connection between B1 & B2 plus the charging symbol (see photo) and the fridge also worked in 12v. At this stage I had done nothing other than touched plug 25 with the voltmeter probe so it looks like it might be a intermittant problem :(
I did check all the other relevant connections and fuses just in case the issue is there but am keeping the fingers crossed it's not an issue with controlling relay itself on the PCB.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Stoney
Just doing it!
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.08.2017  ·  #12
Great news Baguette!
I hardly think there would be an intermittent problem with the "Battery Separator" relay, from my experience, if the coil fails that's the end of it. An intermittent fault is more likely to be at a 'connection', such as plug 25 or somewhere else on that (D+) signal. There should be a fuse on that line, external to the DS unit, rated around 3Amp. Don't ask me where it's located as it could be anywhere but, logically, it should be in the vicinity of the DS unit. If you can find it check the security of the connections.
Some further, trivial, information. The "Battery Separator" relay, when energised by D+, energises a second relay, which could be referred to as a "Split Charge" relay which you referred to in a previous post. This second relay then supplies the power for the fridge and any of the other items that will work when the engine is running. In my first reply I referred to plug 22 and pins 2 and 3, these are both intended to supply a fridge, one is for a 'Three Way' fridge and is switched through a relay, where the other is for a 'AES' fridge and is fed directly from the second "Split Charge" relay mentioned above. For the life of me i can't remember which is which, but I don't think it's important now.
Incidentally, I based all of my information on the assumption that your unit is a DS-520-RA, so I hope that I got that right.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #13
Thanks Stoney,
There is a 3 amp fuse for the Out D+, its fuse no.15 in the DS-520-RA.
Having checked all the relevant connections for tightness I'm just keeping the fingers crossed it is not an issue on the PCB which will require its replacement.

Stoney
Just doing it!
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.08.2017  ·  #14
I am not sure if the fuse you refer to, No. 15, is protecting the incoming D+ feed. However, you could check by unplugging this fuse and then checking to see if the Fridge still works with engine running.
If there is a problem looming on the PCB it would, more than likely, be contacts in the "Split Charge" relay, as that is where the biggest load is carried. The relay can be replaced, if you can get hold of an exact match as it is mounted on the PCB and the soldered connections would need to be in the correct alignment and configuration.
However, it would be possible to mount a relay externally and pick up the relevant connections within the DS unit.
I really feel that your problem is/was just down to poor connections created through years of use and vibrations generated through driving.
Keep the Faith!!

Donal

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2017  ·  #15
I know this thread has run its course, but I tried to cool fridge on ehu without gas connected(was waiting for a new washer, another saga) but it kept trying to fire up on gas, with no power going to socket fridge is plugged into. However when I did connect the gas, after a while, I don't know how long, I went away for a few hours, when I checked, the power was back to fridge socket and everything cold in fridge. It's an aes Electrolux with no way of choosing power source manually. It's working perfect switching between gas, 12 volt and 230, but needed gas connected to allow it to go through its sequence, I guess and choose it's own power source. Is this normal🤔

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.