Portumna

Update as on 6 July 2017

Craic Lifer
Subject:

Portumna

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #1
Visited last Sunday morning, as suspected some people would be departing after weekend. Capacity for approx 16 campers on brand new level hard points- I got one of several spaces. Very pleasant day, and several people sitting outside campers in group having conversation.
No charge yet for parking, expected next year. Elects available by using bank card. Toilets available, sewerage disposal point available and water.
Good walks available around castle. 10 minutes walk to town. I suspect it will be hard to get a spot here on high season period weekends.
Excellent facility.
I tried to enter this under reviews, but ended here anyway.
Regards
Franco
No user has liked this post yet.
Craic Lifer
Homepage: rebbyvid.co.uk
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

Re: Portumna

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #2
Quote by franco

Visited last Sunday morning, as suspected some people would be departing after weekend. Capacity for approx 16 campers on brand new level hard points- I got one of several spaces. Very pleasant day, and several people sitting outside campers in group having conversation.
No charge yet for parking, expected next year. Elects available by using bank card. Toilets available, sewerage disposal point available and water.
Good walks available around castle. 10 minutes walk to town. I suspect it will be hard to get a spot here on high season period weekends.
Excellent facility.
I tried to enter this under reviews, but ended here anyway.
Regards
Franco

Think you will find the electric is available with a waterways card which is available at the supermarket in town .And have to agree it will be a busy one and hope that when it is full vans move on and don't clog the car park spaces up
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome: Adria 670DK
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2017  ·  #3
Portumna aires full today including a caravan at 2pm with 2 extra campers parked by the wall that we are asked not to park at,
T
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com…
My Motorhome: Wherever my blow up bed will fit.
Base Vehicle: Four Wheels.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2017  ·  #4
Yeah with that carry on won't be long till this place gets blacklisted.
I also saw
a photo posted somewhere with tables and chairs out as well.
Some people just care.
Craic Lifer
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2017  ·  #5
Quote by mad max

Portumna aires full today including a caravan at 2pm with 2 extra campers parked by the wall that we are asked not to park at,

Have they all paid the 10e parking fee
Craic Lifer
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.07.2017  ·  #6
Quote by TAYLOR.

Have they all paid the 10e parking fee

I am told by the regulars that the fee is not being collected yet,
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Globecar Campscout
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #7
Stayed here overnight last Wed 2/8/17, lovely spot everything clean and tidy, only charge was units of our Waterway card(elec/ showers) apparently a charge for parking is scheduled for a court hearing sometime in the future why I wouldn't be sure as the sign at entrance simply quotes "Campervan Parking" I suppose it could also say Car Parking as well. The term Aire may not be correct ,open for debate. Overnighting is where a charge may come into being as boat owners pay but I assume to Waterways Ireland whereas Motorhomers would be to local council or tourist board as electric/ showers is already to W I.The ultimate problem is Policing the thing. So will there ever be a Charge?
I have heard it say a max of 3 days stay, if that happens I could see chairs /tables etc out on the grass
and it becoming a Camp Site, my vote on this would be max 2 nights.
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #8
It did say 3 day max
Craic Lifer
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #9
It did say 3 days max and i have seen tabkes n chairs on the grass already
Craic Lifer
Homepage: rebbyvid.co.uk
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2017  ·  #10
Only stayed 1 night when i was there no tables or chairs out, but see it so many times nowadays and it looks a great area to picnic :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Just my outlook on motorhoming but i bought a van to see places i had not seen before ,so while i was at Portumna i spent my time exploring the area (even in the rain), and i know a lot of other do the same so if i wanted to sit outside a van all day i would buy a caravan and go on site and put my awning, table and chairs and rotary washing line out .(joined them last week at St Annes for a festival for the weekend :D :D but it was a caravan and camping holiday site 8-) )
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome: Rapido 775 F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2017  ·  #11
Called into Portumna today, only 4 or 5 motorhomes there but there were also 6 caravans there complete with tables, chairs and a couple of wadhing lines of clothes set up in the grass area between the front and back bays. There was even a lady outside a motorhome parked beside the caravans who looked like she was washing clothes in a basin. Another motorhome arrived while we were there and after a short discussion we both decided to move on. Ithink proper management and oversight is needed urgently before this gets out of hand. When I see this, I can understand why local authorities are loathe to provide facilities
ntg
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2017  ·  #12
Quote by joberg

Called into Portumna today, only 4 or 5 motorhomes there but there were also 6 caravans there complete with tables, chairs and a couple of wadhing lines of clothes set up in the grass area between the front and back bays. There was even a lady outside a motorhome parked beside the caravans who looked like she was washing clothes in a basin. Another motorhome arrived while we were there and after a short discussion we both decided to move on. Ithink proper management and oversight is needed urgently before this gets out of hand. When I see this, I can understand why local authorities are loathe to provide facilities

It was not the local cousins by any chance?
Craic Lifer
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2017  ·  #13
Think i was talking to the other motorhomer earlier, i think ye both made the same and right decision,

Its too easy for the cousins in Portumna as electric, showers, refuse collected by caretaker, no body to tell them otherwise
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mobilvetta
Base Vehicle: Ducati 2.8jtd
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2017  ·  #14
It is a great set up there, but to be honest I prefer the isolated spots on your own or with one or two others there, or at least a big space where you are not on top of each other. It's fine for a stopover but I wouldn't be rushing to get there. But that's just oddball me
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2017  ·  #15
Quote by joberg

Small world John, I was in the other Motorhome, we didn't get a chance to have a proper chat as we could not get out of there quick enough. Must say it was very intimidating.
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Búrstner
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Only in Ireland

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #16
Inimidated in your own country, i find this totally unacceptable that law abiding people have to put up with this. I know that in Europe mainland the police take care of this type anti social behaviour and that byaws are enforced. In Germany the encampment would be broken up in a very short time no camping or caravans means exactly that.
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #17
They must be the travelers that were on the prom in Salthill because they are gone now.But have a very bad reputation as regards campers and caravans parking in Galway with the city council and general public.In saying that there was quite a few campers parked all along the prom under on parking signs im sure they were not all travelers.
I was reading in the local paper this morning that the council are looking at ways to stop the likes of overnight parking in Galway.
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #18
I was down at the Docks the other day and noticed green paint on the ground in the parking bays. Looks to me like they are going to redo the marking and shorten the bays. No prizes for guessing what comes next!
Craic Lifer
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2017  ·  #19
Has anybody stayed in Portumna since last weekend?
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.08.2017  ·  #20
Quote by Waterman

I was down at the Docks the other day and noticed green paint on the ground in the parking bays. Looks to me like they are going to redo the marking and shorten the bays. No prizes for guessing what comes next!

I passed by on Sunday there was 20 vans there only a few Irish reg,mostly French and German.Didnt see any green paint,but most of the parking spaces were full.
PDK
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Burstner A647
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2017  ·  #21
Are there still caravans there, as we travel with the kids, and would hate to drive there only to find a halting site
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2017  ·  #22
Hope to spend some time in Portumna and Dromineer soon.Anybody know if toilets etc. will be open.
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2017  ·  #23
I reckon the toilets in Dromineer are closed now for the winter, but if you ring the Whiskey Still pub in Dromineer, they would tell you very quickly.
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2017  ·  #24
Was in Portumna this weekend. Toilets closed, until next March I believe
Craic Lifer
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2017  ·  #25
Id say its still possible to empty the casette in Portumna at the small black lid at rear of the toilet block
Craic Lifer
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2017  ·  #26
Quote by Mayo1

Was in Portumna this weekend. Toilets closed, until next March I believe

Talking to a guy that uses Portumna very often,he told me that the caretaker was off for the winter,also that the EHU will be off,and toilets closed,said that the regulars that use it will be gone like the swallows and wont be back until spring :up:
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2017  ·  #27
EHU still working
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2017  ·  #28
As always thanks all for the information. It is great knowing that help with any query is always there.
Craic Lifer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.11.2017  ·  #29
Quote by thepilote

As always thanks all for the information. It is great knowing that help with any query is always there.

Thats part of being a motor homer, sharing.
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.11.2017  ·  #30
Just back from a very enjoyable short trip. Stayed in Dromineer for the first time wed night. Beautiful place. No toilets open.Went from there to Portumna huge improvement since last time we stayed there.Thanks MAD MAX for the tip about cassette dump. EHU working (card needed) On to Galway Saturday morning. Great atmosphere and fantastic Christmas market. Stayed in the dock area a number of other campers there also. Anyone paying parking fee do so at the last machine which is the oldest.The clock on the machine is 1 hour fast so you get 2 hours parking for the price of 1.
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.11.2017  ·  #31
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.