Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

Northern Ireland (N IRL) stickers

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #1
For those of us in Northern Ireland, these are a change from the choice of being a GB or IRL sticker user.

I know there are NI stickers out there, but on the continent they are mistaken for NL stickers and I have even heard NI means Not Irish....

I asked a printer to make these for me and I had to take a minimum run of 50 of them....... so if anyone is interested in them, 2 sizes and they are £2 each with 50p postage per order, no matter how many you want.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

Re: Northern Ireland (N IRL) stickers

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #2
Images don't appear to be showing..... will try again

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #3
the NI is given by the EU
not sure if these would legally make the required lettering . we all know what the continental police are like

we have had many strange looks at the NI stickers and as you say many ideas as to what it stands for !

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #4
Moreover, in those days European licence plates all looked confusingly similar, so Europe needed to find an easy way to identify each vehicle’s country of registration. They came up with the idea of making it mandatory to put a white oval-shaped sticker with black country initials on the back of all vehicles.

This European custom became an international requirement in many countries after the U.N.’s Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949) and Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (1968). It was agreed upon that a distinguishing sign of the country of registration had to be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. It also stipulated that the sign could either be placed separately from the registration plate or could be incorporated into the vehicle’s number plate and if the international registration letter was incorporated into the licence plate, it also had to appear on the front number plate.

I suppose if you have an eu type reg plate then any sticker will suffice as it is an extra to what is required.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #5
Will they be necessary when the UK leaves Europe.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #6
A very good question Ken?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #7
nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #8
Like the controller says indentification marks are issued by the UNECE under article 37 which are worldwide. As things stand and for the next 2 years , you have under Ecc law a GB or IRL on your numberplate or by sticker on your vehicle to allow you to cross from one country to another and any other markings could be considered unlawfull . After Britexit you will still have GB as this covers the United Kingdom as a whole ,but if for instance Scotland went independant they would need a new mark as S is allocated to Sweden

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #9
Ok I am going to stir things up in the interest of discussion, as I, like others on here live in "Northern Ireland", we should not be displaying a "GB" sticker, the reasoning behind this is that we live as part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we are not part of Great Britain, likewise we should not be displaying the Irl sticker either as we are not part of Ireland!

So, we need one of our own, so why not use NI or NIR or the like to give us our own "unique" identity

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #10
Can't use NIR as that's Northern Ireland railways , but N,IRL can be used,

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #11
NI is the official assigned code for us
they granted northern Ireland Scotland and wales their own a few years back

NI def causes discussion among our continental buddies, lol

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #12
Quote by Bob

NI is the official assigned code for us
they granted northern Ireland Scotland and wales their own a few years back

NI def causes discussion among our continental buddies, lol

I thought NI was for Not Irish..... that's why I decided to get these printed.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #13
Will try and put this to bed. Try unec.org/trans/roadsafe/distinguishing_signs.htm This will give identification for vehicles worldwide. Here in the UK it is administered by the ministry of transport and will have no bearing on britexit as it is controlled by United Nations and was in place before the European Union came into force. You can have any sticker you like on your vehicle as long as it not causing offence and not conflciting with necessary vehicle markings. And there is no marking allocated to Northern Ireland as this is covered by UK .Here are some who have thier own, Gibralter Jersey Isle of Man and Alderney have theirs which is GBZ, GBJ,GBM, and GBA

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #14
JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #15
Quote by nilrac

but if for instance Scotland went independant they would need a new mark as S is allocated to Sweden

Crikey, Nicola wouldn't be pleased, she'd like "S"........ for Sturgeon that is !!!!!!!

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #16
Folks, I'm not trying to cause a revolution or get any special status for Northern Ireland.

I just find we get mistaken for English if we display a GB sticker and get better treatment if it's an IRL sticker.

Some folks prefer NI, which is meaningless to our Euro cousins, so I wanted a sticker which is obvious as to where we are from.

Personally I don't think Europol would be worried about it's legality...... Sure, some people add a sticker from every country they visit and I've never heard of them being pulled for that.

When I hit France in August I will be glad to let everyone know exactly where we are from.

To be honest I thought there would be more interest in displaying them for the novelty factor rather than opening a legal debate.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #17
This link may answer all our questions, www.gov.uk/displaying-number-p…dentifiers. keep going through and you will see what you can have as regards markings, Northern Ireland is not mentioned ,strange as it may seem it might go back to the start of motor numbering where Ireland was running its own department as a whole. I know that when I went to register Northern Ireland vehicles at Chelmsford DVLA I had to first import them on paper at no cost before I could tax them. Whatever you have you still need GB to travel abroad.

Edgar
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Chausson
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #18
Been traveling with Nord Iron stickers for years now no problem

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #19
Have travelled on GB and IRL stickers over the years. I changed from GB to IRL when once in Holland during a World Cup had the side of my van kicked by Dutch fans who thought I was English. Also in the earlier years in Spain found that we were not accepted as well with the GB stickers. I now have Norn Irn on my numberplates but carry GB and IRL in case I come across a police officer who just doesn’t see it. It is a conversation started at campsites

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #20
Just to confuse people, we have a separate IRL (for the wife) sticker on the rear to the left of the reg plate (not on it) and an NI (for me) to the right. The NI is excellent at confusing the Netherlanders. We both carry Uk and Irish passports to further muddy the water!

I also do not wish to be mistaken for English, in fact when I open a conversation with any french person, my first sentence is “I am Irish and speak a little french”. Gets a positive reply, often in English. Not that I really want to be mistaken for Irish either, as is evident from the large percentage who reply on the census, I am Northern Irish. This is not an opening for a political thread.

There was a case earlier this year of a GB motorhomer being fined €80 for not displaying a GB sticker in Spain, so I shall pick up a GB from Halfords just in case for this years trip and keep it in the glove box.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #21
Quote by Davy

There was a case earlier this year of a GB motorhomer being fined €80 for not displaying a GB sticker in Spain, so I shall pick up a GB from Halfords just in case for this years trip and keep it in the glove box.

Davy

But you don't live in GB, you live in the UK.

😇

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #22
As someone who was born and bread in Northern Ireland I display a NI and a GB sticker when in the Continent and have never had any problems.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #23
Quote by Ally

Quote by Davy

Davy

😇

Ya, isn't it The United Kingdom of Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland (NI). So as Ally says you do not live and your car is not registered in Great Britain, and unless it's an import it probably doesn't have a GB system registration number either.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #24
Born and bred in N. Ireland, but do not feel any allegiance to either ROI or Uk/GB, but I am not going to give some Spanish or french peeler €80 when I can stick a GB sticker on the back for an hour or so if pulled over.

A bit of legalised confusion seems to be the only good thing to come out of the good Friday agreement.

Davy

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #25
Quote by Davy

Just to confuse people, we have a separate IRL (for the wife) sticker on the rear to the left of the reg plate (not on it) and an NI (for me) to the right. The NI is excellent at confusing the Netherlanders. We both carry Uk and Irish passports to further muddy the water!

I also do not wish to be mistaken for English, in fact when I open a conversation with any french person, my first sentence is “I am Irish and speak a little french”. Gets a positive reply, often in English. Not that I really want to be mistaken for Irish either, as is evident from the large percentage who reply on the census, I am Northern Irish. This is not an opening for a political thread.

Davy

Funny, I saw a van with those two stickers around Comber in the last week or two?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2018  ·  #26
Quote by Ally

Quote by Davy

Davy

😇

Actually you live in Ireland

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.