Camping and caravanning club certified sites

will2020
Craic'er
Subject:

Camping and caravanning club certified sites

· 
Posted: 22.06.2016  ·  #1
Hi all, I’m interested in your views or thoughts on using Camping and caravanning club certified sites. For anyone who doesn’t know these are sites which can be setup by landowners to offer space for up to five caravans/motorhomes and up to ten tents. There are over 1,500 of these available over the UK but there are only five in N Ireland at present. The cost is typically between £8-£15 per night depending on facilities offered. Some are as simple as a grass field, others offer hard standing, water/electric on pitch some will have toilet/showers some will not.
To avail of these sites you have to be a member which is an annual cost of £37 online (there other befits such as lower insurance deals on full campsites etc). I am considering setting up a certified site and was wondering if this is something you would be interested in or do most of you prefer a proper full on campsite with full facilities?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Camping and caravanning club certified sites

· 
Posted: 22.06.2016  ·  #2
Been there done that.

Complete waste of time and caused more aggro and cost than it was worth but I have a few reasons why it maybe didn't work............

1. We were not beside the sea or a town.
2. It was licensed by MCCNI who didn't support it all, didn't use it, didn't pay it any attention, they hold rallies most weekends and I think they are that sort of club that likes their organised rallies. The only time they used it was their National Rally in NI so we had a lot of UK Mainland visitors for about two weeks.
3. There are plenty of free stopovers in NI, including Aires, why would you come and park with us and pay us £10 with EHU, light a campfire, use our showers, toilets, waste disposal when you can park in Donaghadee beside the sea for nothing? NI is too small.

You might have more chance if it was licensed by a Caravanning club as caravanners of course need to use sites, we couldn't really accomodate caravanners as we were all hard standing so they couldn't put awnings up. Bear in mind that most caravanners want 2kw of electric(and boy do they use it), they don't use their leisure batteries like we do, most don't go off grid. They expect toilets and showers and better facilities than Motorhomers do.

If you are expecting to make money from Motorhomers stop there before you do anything else, if you think you can offer something for caravanners with occasional Motorhomers then maybe it's worth a go.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2016  ·  #3
P.S. I more or less started a CL to benefit Motorhomecraic members, MCCNI certification does not require you to be a member of MCC to use it.

Craic members made good use of it, but they couldn't/didn't want to go there every weekend.

Must say though we had great craic when they did :D

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2016  ·  #4
In response to will2020.

If you already have the land/space which is part of an existing business why not offer Motorhome parking with no frills?

A small charge for parking without facilities is sometimes more attractive to Motorhomers than fancy campsite with taps on each pitch and electric hookup.
Many pubs across the country are already offering similar.

If you plan to attract caravans they will want facilities laid on thick compared with motorhomes.

As has already been mentioned, if you are close to a town or other attraction you could be popular.
Many Motorhomers would rather pay up to £10 per night for the basic facilities mentioned above than £20 for the frills.

frankyworthy
My Motorhome: VW T5 California
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.07.2016  ·  #5
I agree with the above. We use the Camping and Caravanning Club Certificated locations a lot. The website gives you a detailed search facility and most of these sites are very peaceful and often within walking or cycling distance of a pub or site of interest. We don't ask for hook up or anything so a tenner seems right for toilets and a wash basin.

[i]As has already been mentioned, if you are close to a town or other attraction you could be popular.
Many Motorhomers would rather pay up to £10 per night for the basic facilities mentioned above than £20 for the frills. Agree.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2016  ·  #6
Quote by frankyworthy

I agree with the above. We use the Camping and Caravanning Club Certificated locations a lot. The website gives you a detailed search facility and most of these sites are very peaceful and often within walking or cycling distance of a pub or site of interest. We don't ask for hook up or anything so a tenner seems right for toilets and a wash basin.

I assume you are referring more to GB than NI?

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2016  ·  #7
Quote by will2020

Hi all, I’m interested in your views or thoughts on using Camping and caravanning club certified sites. For anyone who doesn’t know these are sites which can be setup by landowners to offer space for up to five caravans/motorhomes and up to ten tents. There are over 1,500 of these available over the UK but there are only five in N Ireland at present. The cost is typically between £8-£15 per night depending on facilities offered. Some are as simple as a grass field, others offer hard standing, water/electric on pitch some will have toilet/showers some will not.
To avail of these sites you have to be a member which is an annual cost of £37 online (there other befits such as lower insurance deals on full campsites etc). I am considering setting up a certified site and was wondering if this is something you would be interested in or do most of you prefer a proper full on campsite with full facilities?

Only five in NI? There used to be twelve! We looked to move home a couple of years ago with a view to setting up as above. We had bought the house but the sale fell through, then we saw another even better place but the price went to high. In our caravanning days we stayed at all the CL's in NI and some across the water, and have to say we are still friendly with the NI ones.
It is definitely the way to go for a relaxing quiet break, and if you're successful in setting up, we all wish you the best. Is Noel Williams still looking after them?

augharan
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Bailey Approach 745
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer Euro 5 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.07.2016  ·  #8
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.