Charging both battery banks by solar

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #1
Hi Folks , Most motorhomers who have fitted solar panels only charge their domestic batteries as a link to the starting batteries could cause problems. There is now an inexpensive solution in form of a solar charge controller with two outlets for connection to each battery bank. This will not lead to discharge of starting batteries from overuse of domestic bank. It is called a duo charge controller and is available on ebay for £20.+ post.

regards, Nomad.

Subject:

Re: Charging both battery banks by solar

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #2
Thanks for the info.

I am not sure if we would need that as we only use the starter battery for ignition. Everything else runs from the leisure bank.

A good item

Swanner
Bladder Drinker.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #3
What wattage do you guys have on your solar chargers ?

I really want to invest in something but the 80+ Watt chargers are a mad price

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #4
Our is 120 watt.

It is producing 6.1 amp at the moment.
The batteries are only taking 0.4 amp.

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #5
Our motorhome has quite a few systems running off the starting batteries, ie. radio,immobiliser,carbon monoxide sensor,etc. which draw power all the time and will discharge the starting batteries in three weeks if motorhome not used.These days the domestic bank is full and the surplus charge is not being used,it is a pity not to be able to channel it to the starting batteries.This item(see previous post) should solve the problem.We have 140watts of solar charge at 18volts approx.keeping up 4 house batteries totalling 700 amp hours.

80 watt panels appear better value than 100 watt ones. I find the cheaper chinese ones of ebay are every bit as good as anything else available.

Cheers , Nomad.

Liamog
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti650MF
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2012  ·  #6
Hi,
Do you have a link for the duo charger for £20 + post?

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

Link for Duo controller

· 
Posted: 29.05.2012  ·  #7
Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

Update on Duo charge controller

· 
Posted: 16.06.2012  ·  #8
I have had this controller installed and working now for a month or so and both the starting and domestic battery banks are constantly at full charge. Item seems to have been a succcess.

regards, Nomad.

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.06.2012  ·  #9
kagallag

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2012  ·  #10
FYI, Maplin also sell a dual battery charge regulator rated to 16A imput for about £20. Ive had one fitted to two x 80W panels charging 2 x 110AHr batteries since Feb and all is working well. Again the panels were ebay chinese imports at £96 each and the quality is excellent. If you pay much more than that I'd defy any of the more expensive ones to be any better, they could even be rebranded imports themselves which is not unhearad of. I can give full details of my set up by PM if interested. Total job including one new battery was about £350. Ive not plugged in since.

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

Solar Power

· 
Posted: 20.06.2012  ·  #11
Excellent! solar is definitely the way to go. no more flat batteries ,winter or summer. The next smart move is to change the most often used lights in your motorhome to led bulbs, same light but 90% power saving.again the chinese ones are excellent and much cheaper to buy.

Cheers, Nomad.

Budget Camperman
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2012  ·  #12
I would be interested in finding out about that solar set up if you have the time to let me know and who installed it etc. Thanks

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

solar set up

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #13
Sorry Budget no one seems to have caught your post. The normal solar panel setup is quite easy to install. Most people install their own. You can pm me if you want some further help or if you want just reply here.

TonyS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2012  ·  #14
Just fitted a solar panel to the roof of my camper last week and all looks good.

It's a 100w panel wired to a regulator and then to the leasure battery(fused ).
But I did not expect it to charge the starter battery but it does.

Using the camper the leasure battery shows usage but not the starter battery and as expected the leasure battery charges when driving but how it is charging the starter battery from the solar panel I'm not sure.

I know if I plug into the 220v mains it charges both battries ok.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.