Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Stop Over in Portrush

· 
Posted: 19.05.2012  ·  #1
Hi all,

Could anyone help me with information about the free stop over somewhere in the Portrush area near the town itself? Apparently there's some place where a number of vans can park over the week end and on Bank Holiday's. I would appreciate any information.

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Stop Over in Portrush

· 
Posted: 19.05.2012  ·  #2
Hi Jack.
They are two locations on the usermap Called (Ramore Head, Portrush.) and (Portrush.) :-)

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Thanks a million....

· 
Posted: 20.05.2012  ·  #3
Hymer524

Thanks so much for the info. I've not been able to download the user map successfully. I know it's my fault as I'm not all that good at this computer stuff.

Thanks again. :up:

Bill

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2012  ·  #4
According to 3 mccni members and a few others, 4 motorhomers have been clamped at Ramore head over this past month, so unless Hymer or Ally has stayed there this past few weeks this should be taken off or its costing people a lot of £££

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2012  ·  #5
Quote by Bill

According to 3 mccni members and a few others, 4 motorhomers have been clamped at Ramore head over this past month, so unless Hymer or Ally has stayed there this past few weeks this should be taken off or its costing people a lot of £££

Thanks for the update Bill. :up:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2012  ·  #6
In that case one would be better to give Portrush a pass and go on to somewhere else. Thanks for the update.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2012  ·  #7
I have just spent Saturday night on Benone beach without any problems, there is plenty of space to park up. Not sure if its legal or not but had no bother, apart from the tractor weakening me up at 8am when it was cleaning the beach.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2012  ·  #8
Was talking a Council worker in Portrush on Saturday night, as they ganged up together and removed a tent from the grass. They were nice guys only doing their job. But they had a thing to say about a certain Council member.

He will end up driving Motorhomers away, not driving them to his campsites and we will lose all that revenue.

Wise words and if it is true about the clamping then that's exactly what will happen.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2012  ·  #9
That what I've decided to to. We will go somewhere else probably Donaghasee as theres an excellent Aire there and spent our money.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2012  ·  #10
Spoke to two people today who have stayed at Ramore Head recently with no problems. Have we any first hand accounts of wheel clamping by anyone on here?

As the Anti Motorhome signs are not quite legit? can they clamp you?

Would love to hear from someone who has actually been clamped.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2012  ·  #11
Ally, according to Bill MCCNI folk have been clamped. I'm assuming they belong to MCCNI. I would love to go to Portrush for 2 nights. I don't want to go to a Camp Site but neither do I want to find my van clamped.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.05.2012  ·  #12
I was at the MCCNI rally in Portrush at the weekend and heard nothing about the clamping.

I will ask around and see if anyone has first hand knowledge of this.

It wouldn't surprise me as I did hear some comments about a local councillor trying to enforce all sorts of conditions for motorhomes.

Viktor
Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2012  ·  #13
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2012  ·  #14
So we can assume from that no one got clamped at Ramore head, there are no Clamping Warning signs as far as I know? and it is a public car Park?

The only reason you could be clamped is if you have no valid license/disc.

Have I got that right?

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Got it in 1

· 
Posted: 22.05.2012  ·  #15
Well according to my simple mind Alley you've got it in one! But then maybe someone will say different :up:

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2012  ·  #16
Yes that's right...in the absence of the legal clamping requirements only the VLA agents can clamp for no vehicle licence.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2012  ·  #17
Spoke to Coleraine Borough Council, they are not aware of any clamping but said it was DRD Road Services who have authority, I got put through to them.

DRD says that there has been no clamping that they are aware off but tickets have been issued, they said there are bye-laws in place to stop you "camping" "cooking" "sleeping", they went onto say that the area was being abused by Motorhomers and they were contacted by Health and Safety that there was a fire risk as Motorhomes were parked to close, so they then put the signs up which they say are totally LEGAL, and they also say that they have a sign up quoting the bye-laws.

They mentioned that if you take up more than one parking bay you will also receive a ticket.

I explained that this may make Motorhomers boycott Portrush and go elsewhere but they insisted there are places for Motorhomers to park but could not tell me where these where.

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2012  ·  #18
Then the Aire at Donagahadee is illegal under this fire 'excuse'....somehow I think this regulation only applies to a camping site....still it looks like you will be seeing the traffic wardens in there with their book of FPNs.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2012  ·  #19
Thanks Ally. Good move.

No rumor there. Straight from the source and up to date.

Looks like CBC don't want motorhomes. No problem for me.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2012  ·  #20
Quote by mark

Looks like CBC don't want motorhomes. No problem for me.

Or me..... plenty of other places want us.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

stop over portrush

· 
Posted: 23.05.2012  ·  #21
You are doing a great job Ally, as far as Portrush goes just the same old excuses, the only time I parked there was to go to the Harbour inn for a meal, no point in going anymore with all the aggro! Mabye the council would like to explain to the owners what exalty they are getting for the rates they pay.
WHAT WE CAN ALL DO IS SUPPORT THE PLACES WHERE WE ARE WELCOME. ESPECIALLY WHERE AIRES HAVE BEEN INSTALLED. THIS WILL ENCOURAGE MORE AIRES TO BE INSTALLED.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2012  ·  #22
A Freind of mine who is from that area told me yesterday that a certain caravan site owner, who I won't name, is kicking up quite a stink to have the school stop the use of its grounds by the mccni and any other organisations who park motorhomes in it at big event times. It's all to try and force everyone to use the main caravan sites as their revenue has dropped dramatically over the past couple of years. Personally I try to avoid Portrush especially now I have the motorhome, which allows me to go almost anywhere.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2012  ·  #23
well said willie

vote with your handbrake!!

only park and support local shops etc where we are welcomed, eg anywhere but portrush !!

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Made my mind up

· 
Posted: 23.05.2012  ·  #24
That's it for me. I certainly will not be going to Portrush now and I'll go and spend my hard earned money where I'm welcome and stay at one the the Aires.
Seeing I raised this topic I thank all for replying but particularly Alley for all the trouble he went to.
I just hope motorhomers boycott Portrush and spend their money somewhere else.

I don't think they realise what we motorhomers contribute to the local economy where we stay. We went to Donaghadee a few weeks ago, went out for a meal to Pier36 bought stuff in local shops with the total amounting to £150.

Thanks folks :up:

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #25
I said it before...pity the local paper couldn't run a story about Motorhome owners starting to boycott Portrush and the loss of local spending....all because someone wants the income spent on their caravan sites instead.....escaped income?....the caravan sites were never likely to get that custom in the first place and now the local businesses are going to suffer because of it....and Motorhome ownership on the increase every year lol.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #26

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #27
Nolan is aware of the issue, The Motorhome Association brought the subject up a while ago, it was interesting debate, most of the shouting was coming from a certain corner and from the reports on this site still that corner is still very active, narrow minded and dare I say self centered as he is not the only business who pays rates, does he not understand that if the other business in Portrush do not get enough trade nobody will want to stay in a static or anywhere else in a ghost town! the average overnight spend for a motorhome user is approx £40 and increasing multiply that up over the year Portrush and see what you are missing, by the way that average spend is outside of campsites, much better that all rate payers have a share of the cake. that is the view taken by the councils who are making the effort to attract motorhomes to their area, I say again support them and we will get more Aires most councils are now interested, remember they need to see a positive return for the investment in installing an Aires it is after all taxpayers money!

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #28
Maybe if the caravan sites started to only charge for the nights that people wanted to stay, and not like what happens in Portrush at events like the NW200 and Golf week where you have to book for multiple nights regardless of whether or not that is what you want or can afford.
It is called greed and yes the Coleraine council would rather loose the custom for the Portrush traders than stand up to this behaviour.
At least that is the way that i see it.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Stay away

· 
Posted: 24.05.2012  ·  #29
Folks it's simple all motorhomers boycott Portrush and when they loose our revenue the traders will soon pressure their councillors. Spread the news far and wide Stay away from Portrush and see what happens. :up:

Bill

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2012  ·  #30
It's a shame that a destination much used by 1000's in the past is heading for further decline in the future due to current pressures by Mr B and his greed for selfish gain.
Glad to see that the information that seems to be going about about the moment in one form or another is mostly correct that people are being thumped by fines/fees is correct though. Hopefully the word will get around that motorhomes are not welcomed in Portrush.
On the bright side the weather is great at the moment for all to enjoy over the weekend whether away in the campers or just chilling around the homestead.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2012  ·  #31
We need some small A5 flyers made, hand one to each business when you spend money.

Your business has just been visited by a Motorhome owner. Motorhome owners support local business's in the area's they visit. Some local councils are trying to stop us from visiting certain area's, if this happens, YOUR BUSINESS will lose that revenue. Help us fight this by making your local council aware of the revenue we bring to your area.

..or words to that affect :)

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2012  ·  #32
A good idea in theory but there is a Slight problem with that statement. They are not stopping motorhome owners from visiting. They will say that if motorhome owners are that concerned they could help local campsites by staying there. If you go down the route of handing out flyers you need to be very precise with your wording and terminology.

I suggest it may be much more effective to avoid the towns in question altogether.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2012  ·  #33
Quote by mark

A good idea in theory but there is a Slight problem with that statement. They are not stopping motorhome owners from visiting. They will say that if motorhome owners are that concerned they could help local campsites by staying there. If you go down the route of handing out flyers you need to be very precise with your wording and terminology.

I suggest it may be much more effective to avoid the towns in question altogether.

Fair point, but it wasn't intended as a finished article "or words to that affect". No point avoiding towns if those towns do not know we are doing it, and the reasons why.

Marty
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2012  ·  #34
This is nothing new from the council in this area. As well as owing a motorhome, I have a couple of motorbikes and attend biker rallies. Limavady council done everything in their power to make things diificult for the Quay Vipers Motorcycle Club. This club organised a large bike rally at Benone beach every year and this year the club have had enough of the difficulities that they were expierencing and moved the rally to Belfast. The council have now realised the loss the bike rally is to the area.

http://www.derryjournal.com/ne…-1-3644907

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Just don't go

· 
Posted: 27.05.2012  ·  #35
Well folks I wanted to go to Portrush for a few days but didn't want to use a Camp Site. In light of all that's going on I just went to Donaghadee and had a super 2 nights with no cost but contributed in total £234 to the local economy over the 3days and 2 nights. Just boycott the towns that don't want us - it's their problem. :up:

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2012  ·  #36
stayed in donaghadee sunday night,
didnt get there til nearly 7, had a bbq, few drinks
very quiet peaceful nights sleep
monday, went into recaf&ate for lunch,
left ddee about 4 to drive home.

everyone in commons was coming over to us and saying how great it was to see motorhomes using donaghadee to stay,,

thats a much better welcome than portrush!

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Sure is

· 
Posted: 28.05.2012  ·  #37
Bob,
We found exactly he same and the local shops were delighted when we told them we were at the Aire. It was so encouraging and refreshing.
Well done Donaghadee :up:

Cnor1981
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2012  ·  #38
White Rocks car park up by the famous Kellys and apaortrush Golf club a fantasic wild camp location

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Where exactly?

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #39
Cnor1981

Thanks but where exactly is it? Is it on the right or left coming out of Portrush and was there any other vans here?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #40
It is on the left as you travel from Portrush to wards Ballintoy on the coast road. As far as I am aware you need to approch from the Ballintoy direction as the turn is too tight if coming from Portrush.

I could be wrong but I am sure that is White Rocks.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.