Wifi

woodpecker
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Wifi

· 
Posted: 06.12.2015  ·  #1
What would you lovely people recommend for wifi usage in your motorhome while within the UK . Tia

Subject:

Re: Wifi

· 
Posted: 06.12.2015  ·  #2
Most of carry a PAYG mifi dongle on 3 network.
If your 3 sim is bought in the UK/ NI shops it works in ROI too without roaming charges.
If bought in ROI roaming charges are added.

woodpecker
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Wifi

· 
Posted: 07.12.2015  ·  #3
Thank you Mark will look into it

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2015  ·  #4
TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2015  ·  #5
Quote by mark

Anyone know why?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2015  ·  #6
Quote by TAYLOR.

Anyone know why?

Think "feel at home" is only offered on Three UK.

Carnsoreboxer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2015  ·  #7
Yes indeed the 'feel at home' is not available to Three IE. I took myself up north and bought an unlocked http://www.three.co.uk/Discove…lour=White with a 12gb data SIM card. Worked brilliantly in France and Uk. Only downside is I cannot top up online as credit card needs to be registered in UK, but a trip up north to the outlet store is always enjoyable!

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2015  ·  #8
Quote by TAYLOR.

Quote by mark

Anyone know why?

Just because they can :bandit: :bandit:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2015  ·  #9
Quote by woodpecker

What would you lovely people recommend for wifi usage in your motorhome while within the UK . Tia

Mark has replied with mobile Wifi options, but if you are looking to connect to static wifi such as a campsite or the BT and FON systems then you can use boosters to pull the signal in to your van better.

Most of these are USB though and unless you are using a Laptop not a lot of devices have a USB port, that then means you need a router that accepts the booster and in turn shares the signal around your van to connect wirelessly.

tony2phones
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW LT46 exLWB
Base Vehicle: former School bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2015  ·  #10
Personally I opt for getting a sim for a spare android phone and using that as a wifi hotspot. Phones can get unlimited data for £20 (on EE I think used to be £15 on 3 but thats now £25) you will be lucky to get 5 gig for that on a mifi sim card.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2015  ·  #11
Quote by tony2phones

Personally I opt for getting a sim for a spare android phone and using that as a wifi hotspot. Phones can get unlimited data for £20 (on EE I think used to be £15 on 3 but thats now £25) you will be lucky to get 5 gig for that on a mifi sim card.

Contract SIM or PAYG? you would need two sims then if you are going over the border? can't tether whilst roaming on Three, don't know about others?

Also I noticed that a MiFi has a lot more signal than a phone, plus you can add an aerial. Pity an aerial can't be added to a phone, that would be handy.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2015  ·  #12
I got stung this year in the south.

Bought a 3 mifi with 3gb for France. It worked really well and did the whole five weeks. However we went to Dungarvan and round Clonakilty (our favourite spot) via Cobh etc for 10 days in August. I used the last of the data and topped up on line. The 1 gb didn't even last 24 hours. I thought I had cocked up the top up so did a second one which went just as quickly.

It seems you need to activate each top up in the UK. I thought I would be smart and get a 3 sim from the shop in Dungarvan, but they are a different company to the UK. The guy even suggested that my mifi would 'lock out' a 3sim from ROI. I was not going to risk a third £10 !!

I will look at a rolling data contract for the coming season.

Davy

tony2phones
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW LT46 exLWB
Base Vehicle: former School bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2015  ·  #13
Pay as you go. If you just use the phone as a "hotspot" it only collects data as a phone and whereas a modem is recognised immediately the phone runs perfectly happily.

I have had a UK phone and Irish phone for near as many years as Ireland has had mobile phones, its about time this cross border network divide and roaming was abolished for all charges, calls and data.

We have a Meteor contract for Mifi down here since 3 stopped supporting rural broadband and used to have Tesco mifi in the camper but these days just use my Tesco PAYG IE & UK for the small amount of data I use on the move.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2015  ·  #14
Quote by tony2phones

I have had a UK phone and Irish phone for near as many years as Ireland has had mobile phones, its about time this cross border network divide and roaming was abolished for all charges, calls and data.

I see Tony where you got your name from :up:

julesdee
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.12.2015  ·  #15
I am not the gadget guy .... But my husband bought this off amazon and pays £10 per month for 5gb. It s on the three network and as such it's free to roam in 21 countries including France, Ireland, Spain and Portugal.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

stu8rty
Craic Addict
Homepage: belfastflyers.com
My Motorhome: Lunar champ H621
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8 2005
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.12.2015  ·  #16
I'm only back from Portugal on Monday and on the 3 UK network but it's not one of the free to roam countries yet.

Pablo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2016  ·  #17
Quote by TeamRienza

I got stung this year in the south.

Bought a 3 mifi with 3gb for France. It worked really well and did the whole five weeks. However we went to Dungarvan and round Clonakilty (our favourite spot) via Cobh etc for 10 days in August. I used the last of the data and topped up on line. The 1 gb didn't even last 24 hours. I thought I had cocked up the top up so did a second one which went just as quickly.

It seems you need to activate each top up in the UK. I thought I would be smart and get a 3 sim from the shop in Dungarvan, but they are a different company to the UK. The guy even suggested that my mifi would 'lock out' a 3sim from ROI. I was not going to risk a third £10 !!

I will look at a rolling data contract for the coming season.

Davy

Just to say 3 Ireland used to have a plan called "Three Like Home" which was the same as Feel like Home. I had it for years on my contract with them. Now that is an addon and cost 2.99 per month which you can turn on and off as you wish. I think its only about 2GB for the month if you are roaming but that should be fine for normal (non-movie-streaming) usage. But not great. "Turn off that bloody YouTube child!"

If you are travelling in the RoI, you can buy a SIM from 3 Ireland and put 20€ on it. This will give you "all you can eat" 3G/4G data for 1 month. All you can eat data by 3 Ireland's definition is 60GB. If you go over 60GB, they reserve the right to throttle your connection if your usage is affecting others on the network, so you still get data just not at 4G speeds. So €20 for guaranteed 60GB ... thats as good as you will get in RoI. Their 4G network is really improving recently also.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.