richhill
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Weinsberg
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

wild camping fermanagh

· 
Posted: 26.04.2012  ·  #1
Hi folks, any useful tips on wild camping spots in Fermanagh please?

condagh
Craic'er
Subject:

Re: wild camping fermanagh

· 
Posted: 26.04.2012  ·  #2
hi.
In north fermanagh, just outside the village of kesh is mucross, right on the lakeside, plenty of parking there is even a toilet block and picnic area and a swimming beach, also public jettys and slipeways if you have a boat.

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

fermanagh

· 
Posted: 27.04.2012  ·  #3
Hi Richill, Welcome to the forum, if you like Fermanagh and parking up beside the water like most of us then you will find lots of good places, Muckross is only one, there are quite a few similar spots around the lower lake from Kesh to Belleek and on the road from Belleek to Enniskillen. The rd from Kesh to Lisnarick has places like Castlearchdale and Rossigh Bay. If you bring up a map of the Lakes you will find these places easy. In Enniskillen you can stay at the Forum again beside the boats. You can use the leisure facilities there. The upper lake from Carey Bridge again is dotted with nice amenity areas and there is the Share Centre also. There are too many to list so if you are set on a particular area then let me know and I will direct you. We found all these places over the years some by boat and some by camper and they are usually quiet and well kept with bins etc .Happy camping , Nomad1.

richhill
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2012  ·  #4
Thanks Nomad1, like the area around Crom. Have parked up daytime at Bun Bridge, but not stayed overnight. Anywhere around here would be what we had in mind.
Regards

Nomad1
Craic'er
Subject:

wild camping in Fermanagh

· 
Posted: 29.04.2012  ·  #5
Nearest to Crom Estate that I can think of is Derryadd Quay, which is signposted on the Lisnaskea to Derrylin Rd. about 3 miles out of Lisnaskea. There is one on the right before Derryadd Quay which has a nice new French restuarant and is a beautiful place,great panoramic view of the lake.There is also Derryvore Quay on the other side of the lake which has access of the A509 Derrylin to Belturbet rd. There is a nice place called Quivvy outside Belturbet and also Belturbet town along the riverbank. You can view all these places on google street view. Bring your fishing rod.These are only a few there are lots more. A good map would be useful when you are looking for them. cheers, Nomad.

Bill

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2012  ·  #6
54°11'38.90"N 7°28'46.96"W Derryadd Quay

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Muckross

· 
Posted: 30.04.2012  ·  #7
Hi to all......am replying to the post re: muckross, are there any walks around this quay as we have two dogs and we like this kind of area to stay one or two nights. Also do you need cards to use the facilities. We are in the process of getting the card from waterways Ireland so we can use the facilities at their marinas, also is it possible to get into Kesh without using the main road, ie,......using lane ways and staying away from traffic. Thanks for any info

Regards Biffo....... :up: :sleep:

Deirdre
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2012  ·  #8
Hi Biffo and welcome to craic,

Im absolutely no use to you, not too familiar with Fermanagh. But, what is the card from waterways ireland that you refer to and what facilities does it allow you to use.

Dee :up:

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Waterways ireland

· 
Posted: 30.04.2012  ·  #9
Waterways are the people who look after the marinas around Ireland , you've probably been to a Marina and seen the new blocks of loos and showers which originally for the use of the hire boats and the private boat owners. Have been told that you can attain said card from them for a fee. It entitles you to use the facilities on a credit system. It allows you access for a period of time before you update it ,.........at least that's what I'm told. Am researching it and will update as soon as I have news. .. :up: :D

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2012  ·  #10
biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Waterways cards

· 
Posted: 01.05.2012  ·  #11
That's great ............job done ........thanks...... :up: ...... :D

Kelper Camper
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2012  ·  #12
Waterways Ireland seem to be offering their facilities to motorhome users now - theres an article on this in the most recent (i think) issue of a newish magazine - someithing like Caravans and Leisure? - which is saw on the weekend.

not sure if the facilities extends to cassete and grey water disposal but would be interested to know

condagh
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2012  ·  #13
Hi Biffo, there is a nice pathway from mucross around the shore that ends at caravan park, but dogs are not allowed on to the caravan park, people are though and it does have a reasonable restrauant and bar. This pathway is used for dog walking, also its a quiet road back to kesh (1 mile) and again used for dog walking.
Yes you can take back roads depending on where you are travelling from, the mucross road is a dead end road but you dont have to go through the village to get to it.
The toilet facilities are open to the public, there is a shower block atr the kesh river carpark which I think takes card. Hope that helps regards
Anna

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Mucross

· 
Posted: 03.05.2012  ·  #14
Thanks a million...........looks good for a couple of nights. Safe driving / camping. :up: .. O-)

Budget Camperman
Subject:

stop over spots

· 
Posted: 29.05.2012  ·  #15
Some of the stop over spots around this area have no overnighting signs what do people think of this?

condagh
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #16
In Enniskillen the lakeland forum used to be apopular spot until the not so progressive council decided motorhomes could no longer stay over night, this coupled with the fact that enniskillen has the most zealous parking attendants in the north means obey these signs, in fact anywhere in enniskillen, overnighting where you shouldnt be will likely result in a fine, these guys take no prisoners. In remote rural areas and villages these signs are rarely enforced and you shouldnt be bothered by anyone.
cheers Anna

Budget Camperman
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #17
Yes it was the small car parks round the lakes that have these signs I was wondering about more than anything the remoter the better, anyone with any tips or places like this I would be really grateful for the information thanks

Collie
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: 654SL
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2012  ·  #18
Fermanagh Council are soon to erect signs and service point at Rossigh Bay to make this an official stopover point. This is on the Enniskillen to Kesh road located between Killadeas and Lisnarick. Many motorhomes already stay there. It is a very quiet scenic location at the edge of the beautiful Lough Erne.
The council are also soon to have an official stopover point at Carrybridge, near Lisbellaw. Many also stay in Enniskillen in the public carpark just beside Enniskillen castle, close to the Lakeland Forum leisure centre, within close walking distance to town yet very peaceful, scenic location.
There are many other stopover points eg on the enniskillen to irvinestown road, stop over at Woodhill Hunting Lodge....fantastic food, well priced also at ballinamallard football club about 5 miles max from enniskillen
Enjoy

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2012  ·  #19
there were rumours that enniskillen council moved mhomes from parking at the forum.
this was untrue.
the forum became a young boy racers place and mhomes moved to the car park beside the museum.

ballinaleck marina also a lovely overnight stop,but please dont park beside the boats as the owners need access to refill fuel.food etc.

condagh
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2012  ·  #20
Afraid that wasnt a rumour, in 2009/10 fermanagh district council banned motorhomes from overnighting in the lakeland forum and this was enforced. I think it had more to do with the amount of parking space being used by people staying for days on end rather than anything else The plan was to have aires operational in 2 lakeside areas for 2011, not happened yet but I believe it is now actively in the pipeline.
Anna

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2012  ·  #21
great info,

richhill
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Enniskillen

· 
Posted: 15.07.2012  ·  #22
Hi Folks, just reurned from a few days in Fermanagh. Started to stay last night in Enniskillen beside the Castle. Approx 9 or 10 vans there. We arrived, had a lovely walk, visited Kennys take away and dandered back to the Skylark. We were parked next to an older Transit base van with a rear stable door, although as it turned out the occupier was more of a bi*** than a mare!! She spent most of the evening hanging over the stable door going through many cancer sticks and talking loudly enough to negate the need for the phone she was holding. This went on til after dark. Just as we had got over to sleep we were awakened by the clatter of her starting and revvvvingggggg her engine for around 30 minutes just as it was approaching midnight. Now that we were awake we then became aware of the few young uns who appeared to have had consumed a little too much of a particular liquid that causes you to become unaware of your surroundings. They were very loud. A few cups of tea later the racket had not subsided, so we headed to Muckross around 3am to join a couple of other motorhomes there. It was quiet. We had a lovely day watching a variety of boats and jet skeeees. All home now and dogs seem to be more tired than we are!!!!
Once again the thoughtless actions of some, spoil the relaxation of others.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.