Achill Island

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

Achill Island

· 
Posted: 25.07.2012  ·  #1
Anyone been to Achill Island & know of an overnight spot. Although I've posted this in the Wild Camping category I'd be happy with a stopover legal, pub etc.

thanks in advance

:up:

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Achill Island

· 
Posted: 25.07.2012  ·  #2
biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Keel

· 
Posted: 26.07.2012  ·  #3
Have been to Achill on many occasions.......used the site in keel and was happy with facilities, but at 26e euro plus 2e for ehu and the showers are also extra........and having spent a long number of years in France camping.......for a hell of a lot less .........most I paid on this trip was 21e and that included showers,ehu, and a heated pool.....go figure.
The site in Dugort on Achill is not exactly five star.....or even four,three, etc,etc. Granted the beach is excellent ,but that's it. I would never .....ever......pull near a site and use the facilities,and to those who do so....shame on ye........I'm rambling, there is an area in Keel just down from the campsite. Turn left at the site and drive down to an area where the windsurfers park up, its usually empty at night and it's a ten minute walk to pubs and restaurants.
There's a couple of pubs on the way to Keem Bay.....the Pub has a carpark and no problem staying over when your having a few drinks. The Slievemore hotel on same road does good food and no problem parking up.
Hope this is some help. :up: :sleep:

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Achill

· 
Posted: 26.07.2012  ·  #4
Have just noticed I have given wrong information........I mentioned the Slievemore hotel as being on way to Keem bay........WRONG.......it's the Achill Head hotel. The Slievemore is in Dugort and has been closed for some time. Apologies for the misinformation.

If you google Achill you'll see where I'm talking about. :up: :sleep:

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2012  ·  #5
Don’t know about you Tom, but I've never actually stayed outside a site gate or any other gate for that matter.

We’re really self-sufficient, we only need water from a garage once a week & a public loo is fine to dispose of our loo every so often.

I’m afraid we’re all painted with the same brush when some of our so called associates behave in this way.

Biffo, thanks for your contribution, we're heading to Achill Island this weekend either way.....

I'll report next week & tell you all how it went. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2012  ·  #6
there is a car park up the hill,on the right, i think its the water works or water supply etc, motorhomes use it.
its well away from any campsites.

niki2012

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2012  ·  #7
We went to achill - keel last summer bout this time. We knew the campsite in keel having stayed in dugort the previous year, and had intended on staying there. When we arrived it was so over crowded it just looked like organised chaos wasn't at all appealing so we spotted a few campers parked practically right on the beach loads of space around us. We r self sufficient so happily stayed there for four nights with plenty of other vans and a tent around us. Few boy racers around but nothing major apart from sheep scratching themselves on our step!! Which the dog was delighted with! Great spot :-)

Comrade Zed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2012  ·  #8
We stayed at Dugort, down by the football club. Great spot.

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2012  ·  #9
Went down to Achill last week for a few days & it's really hard to see the issues the site owner at Keel is complaining about. In the newspaper clip linked by Tom, he complains about campers right outside his gate, when in fact the field most of the motorhomes use is actually well before the site gates & on the opposite side of the road. It's a fantastic place with loads of places to stop over, I'll post some we of the places we used in the 'wild camping' section later, hopefully they'll make it into the next POI download file.

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Achill

· 
Posted: 02.08.2012  ·  #10
It's not the guy in Keel that's complaining........it's the owner of the site in Dugort......the other side of the island. The site in Keel is fine as sites go........ It's the prices that are in question, don't mind paying a premium price for a pitch....but when your paying top dollar .......I expect to get what I pays for !!!. :up: :sleep:

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2012  ·  #11
my mistake!

8-)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.