Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Motorhome-friendly town scheme given go-ahead

· 
Posted: 01.08.2012  ·  #1
Councils, take note. The New Zealand Motor Caravan Association is setting up a motorhome-friendly town scheme similar to one in Australia, according to The Timaru Herald.

The paper reported that councillors were keen to be part of the scheme, recognising that “free, independent travellers were good spenders.”

According to the Herald, the enlightened councillors also felt that all other towns in the district which fulfilled the scheme's criteria - including having areas where large vehicles can park, and where water, sewerage and rubbish services were available - should also be nominated for the scheme.

Read the full story HERE

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

Re: Motorhome-friendly town scheme given go-ahead

· 
Posted: 02.08.2012  ·  #2
I'm in, what ferry do we need to book?

:lol:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2012  ·  #3
Used to be 6 weeks on the ferry to Australia, I am sure the ships have got better but that's on hell of a carry out needed :)

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2012  ·  #4
Posted on another forum in reply to the same topic...

Similar things are happening in Australia with many towns showing the RV-Friendly sign at the approaches mainly as a result of a campaign run by the largest motorhome club in Australia. Now gaining a lot of momentum.
Of course there are also many RV UNFRIENDLY towns as well where vested interests are causing existing free-camping and rest spots to be shut down and no-camping signs erected. What these vested interests ie RV park operators, don't understand is that shutting down these spots does not mean those people will flock into their parks. What does happen is word gets around and people just drive straight through to the next town that does make them feel welcome. End result is the van park gets bad publicity and has less customers and it serves them right - BUT what about the rest of the businesses in town who also lose business through no fault of their own.
There was one town that had very large "RVs GET LOST" signs at each end of town and no camping signs everywhere and people from a nearby town were distributing leaflets to RVers inviting them to their town where low cost camping was allowed in the showgrounds. One town's loss was another's gain

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.