browners777
Homepage: browners.net
My Motorhome: Laika kreos 3008
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducatto
Subject:

Cleaning

· 
Posted: 06.05.2016  ·  #1
This weekend I plan on giving our motorhome a big deep clean before it gets put to good use this season.

I've been doing a lot of googling trying to find the best way's to clean. A lot of places are suggesting using vinegar for a lot of things.

What do you use ? Particularly for the following:
  • Toilet cassette
  • Bathroom area
  • Couch (foam couch)
  • Grey water tank
  • Fresh water tank

Our couch doesn't have removable covers so it will have to be washed by hand, and obviously I don't want to use too much water and risk never been able to dry them out. Best I have seen so far is to dust with baking soda, leave for 12(ish) hours and vacuum off, then spray with a vinegar/water mix and leave to dry.

For the grey water suggestions are to dump a load of baking powder down there and follow this with vinegar, when its stopped bubbling add more vinegar and then wash away, I presume i'd have to do this on the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and shower.

The fresh water tank I was planning on emptying out completely, removing any bits remaining in the tank and then filling with water and adding milton, pumping it through to all the outlets and then leaving overnight. Then pumping it all out through the taps into the grey water and refilling and dumping the fresh water once more to get rid of any leftover milton.

If I do go down that route, should I do that before or after I do the grey tank ?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Cleaning

· 
Posted: 06.05.2016  ·  #2
Quote by browners777

For the grey water suggestions are to dump a load of baking powder down there and follow this with vinegar, when its stopped bubbling add more vinegar and then wash away, I presume i'd have to do this on the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and shower.

The fresh water tank I was planning on emptying out completely, removing any bits remaining in the tank and then filling with water and adding milton, pumping it through to all the outlets and then leaving overnight. Then pumping it all out through the taps into the grey water and refilling and dumping the fresh water once more to get rid of any leftover milton.

If I do go down that route, should I do that before or after I do the grey tank ?

For the grey and fresh water tanks I always use these, find them great!

forum/topic.php?t=7195

browners777
Homepage: browners.net
My Motorhome: Laika kreos 3008
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducatto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2016  ·  #3
They look great, I'll order some of them, thanks Ally

big D
Love's the Craic
Homepage: bairdsoundsystems.…
My Motorhome: Auto-Trail Cheyenne 660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 130 Multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2016  ·  #4
just ordered some myself.cheers for the info Ally. :up:

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2016  ·  #5
Quote by browners777

Toilet cassette

All I ever use in mine is a cold water rinse when I empty it. I do remember buying a Motorhome with a very dirty cassette, very stained and not nice looking at all. Along with the blue I put in some Bio Washing Machine Tablets and after a few empties it came up spotless again.

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2016  ·  #6
Just a quick comment on "tablet" cleaning.
When using hypochlorite tablets, perhaps consider firstly dissolving them in water and then add that liquid to the tank.
NB. Care with splashes on SKIN or EYES.
The reason for the suggestion is that if tablets are put into a tank, there can be a high concentration of sodium hypochlorite local to where the tablets dissolve. If this high conc. hypochlorite is drawn into contact with a metallic surface (?pump, tap etc.) it can cause corrosion, very quickly.
If dissolved in water (to produce Milton, in effect) then added to a tank containing some water, the pouring action causes a mixing process and reduces the risk of high hypochlorite concentration areas in the tank.

Alternatively, and probably much easier, physically stir the tank contents as the tablets dissolve (or move the vehicle to agitate the liquid) before turning on the pump.

Just a thought.

bambibabes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2016  ·  #7
Great post as I'm also trying to get our new 1st timers van ready for a trip too! I would still like to know best ways to clean upholstery as our seats are looking rather grubby! Also thinking of using Upvc cleaner on white plastic bits that have yellowed, inside & out maybe.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2016  ·  #8
Quote by bambibabes

Great post as I'm also trying to get our new 1st timers van ready for a trip too! I would still like to know best ways to clean upholstery as our seats are looking rather grubby! Also thinking of using Upvc cleaner on white plastic bits that have yellowed, inside & out maybe.

Mix some bio washing powder in warm water and scrub the seats, then leave them out to dry.

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2016  ·  #9
I recently washed all the upholstery in our 2005 campervan and it came up mint.
First spray liberally with Vanish spray and then steam clean.
Then leave to dry thoroughly and good to go.

They came up a treat I also put a little scent into the steam cleaner so they smell nice too.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2016  ·  #10
Grey water tank mine has a big screw drain at the bottom I take it of and put a high power hose in it all the bits are flushed out in no time I also unscrew the drain tap of a put the hose on and flush it that way. The toilet as said before bio tads in hot water with a small drop of zoflora concentrate cleans it a treat and no smell

jonesie90
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2016  ·  #11
For bathroom at home I swear by vinegar for cleaning the taps!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.