When Not to Do It Yourself

(when it works off gas and you're not qualified)

Oldblowin
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Burstner Ixeo 585
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Multijet 130
Subject:

When Not to Do It Yourself

· 
Posted: 01.05.2016  ·  #1
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, Ally, maybe you could move it if it's not?

I learned a salutary lesson on Friday evening that I think is worth sharing. We have a second-hand Ducato based camper van that I'm finding my way around and checking that everything works before we take our first proper trip. I found that the Dometic fridge wasn't working on gas (the pilot would light, then go out). I removed both the vents on the side of the van and checked the jet assembly which seemed OK then put an industrial vacuum on the open end of the flue to remove any debris. I replaced the vents and tried again. Hey Presto! The pilot lit and stayed lit and the burner seemed to be working away. I left it on to see if the fridge cooled and went to the back of the van to check the Truma water heater. I then noticed wisps of smoke wafting into the van and smoke drifting past the window outside. Looking out I saw that the top plastic vent was on fire, smoke was blackening the side of the van and the paintwork was starting to blister. I didn't panic until I found that the fire extinguisher in the van should have been higher on my list of things to check - it was U/S! Fortunately, the extinguisher in the workshop (a short dash away) was working and I put out the fire before too much damage was done. Photos attached.

I will now of course take the van to the professionals to have the gas appliances checked. If I'd done this in the first place I could have avoided the additional costs I will now incur for repairing the damage to the paintwork and vents etc (not to mention the damage to my pride and a near heart attack). And it could have been much worse. If I'd gone indoors to answer the phone or something the fire might really have taken hold with the loss of the van and god knows what else.

I will ring round possible repairers next week. It looks like Derek Walsh Camper Centre is the closest to us (we're in west Cork near Bantry) and well qualified to do the remedial work on the appliances and the repairs to the van. If anyone knows of a suitable outfit closer to us I would be grateful for a steer in their direction. Likewise any comments or advice on the likely cause of the fire (presumably I disturbed something) would be appreciated as would whether an insurance claim might or might not be sensible/successful. 🇧🇭
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

Re: When Not to Do It Yourself

· 
Posted: 01.05.2016  ·  #2
oh No that is awful, I hope it will all be put right soon and at not too much expense.
Cara Motor's in Rathkeale in Co. Limerick might be worth a call for a quote - others may know more.

Oldblowin
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2016  ·  #3
Thanks for that, I'll give them a try.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2016  ·  #4
That's awful! hope when the black marks are cleaned off it doesn't look as bad. Let us know how you get on.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2016  ·  #5
Really sorry to see the damage to you MH but as you say it could've been a lot worse. And thanks for posting somethings are just best left to the experts.
Re the insurance you might've to explain what happened and as you say you were trying to fix a gas problem which might invalidate any claim you might be considering.
Good luck with the repairs.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2016  ·  #6
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Re the insurance you might've to explain what happened and as you say you were trying to fix a gas problem which might invalidate any claim you might be considering.

Well if John forgot to mention that he was trying to fix anything (Well we are all getting a bit forgetful when it suites :whistle: ) and he just happen to light the gas on site and noticed the smoke,
The less said the better sometimes ;-)

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2016  ·  #7
Quote by mad max

Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Well if John forgot to mention that he was trying to fix anything (Well we are all getting a bit forgetful when it suites :whistle: ) and he just happen to light the gas on site and noticed the smoke,
The less said the better sometimes ;-)

John might be better off to forget to contact the Insurance Co.and buy a second hand fridge and fixing it himself, I made a claim two years ago and my Insurance shot up :devil:

Oldblowin
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2016  ·  #8
All good advice,lads, thanks. I've cleaned up the mess a bit and the damage isn't quite as bad as it looks in the photos. Hopefully the fridge just needs proper maintenance attention and not replacement (as suggested a second hand unit may be the answer if it does). I also have a neighbour who's handy with the spray gun so I might not claim in the end. Just keen to get back on the road with a van that (a) is fully functional and (b) doesn't look like it's been the victim of a flame-thrower attack.

Oldblowin
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2016  ·  #9
Quote by Oldblowin

All good advice,lads, thanks. I've cleaned up the mess a bit and the damage isn't quite as bad as it looks in the photos. Hopefully the fridge just needs proper maintenance attention and not replacement (as suggested a second hand unit may be the answer if it does). I also have a neighbour who's handy with the spray gun so I might not claim in the end. Just keen to get back on the road with a van that (a) is fully functional and (b) doesn't look like it's been the victim of a flame-thrower attack.

We've just got the camper back from Anchor Point Motorhomes near Limerick. The problem with the fridge was that someone (!) reassembled the burner without the jet thereby turning the burner into a flame thrower, hence the damage to the plastic vent and van paintwork. The TRUMA heater had sand in it and a corroded flue (previous owner a keen surfer). Both appliances now working fine and gas supply upgraded to propane with new regulator and bottles and pressure tested. €600 worse off but all ready to go now. repairing the paintwork will have to wait. :up:

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2016  ·  #10
All good in the end, €600 sounds and is expensive but at least you have working and safe appliances, and above all you have peace of mind that all is safe,

As for the paint work,.....well Rome wasn't built in a day,

Hope you have no other issues and enjoy a good summer on the road :up:

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.07.2016  ·  #11
It pays to have a van checked out by the experts, I'm looking for a new van and I will always asked has there been any work carried out on the gas end of things.You were very lucky to have a van after that.Good luck in the future

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.