Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

Hymer Fog Lights Dead

· 
Posted: 25.04.2016  ·  #1
Hi Hymer experts,
I'm a newbie (with an old, but new-to-me B534) so apologies if this query is in the wrong part of the site/forum, but I figured the Hymer section might be best.

Fog/spotlights are not working.
Bulbs are working ok and bulb holders appear to be in good condition, but 12V not present.
All fuses that I can find in glovebox and several in engine bay test ok. I tried to trace the wires but they disappear into looms that disappear into bigger looms.
I cannot hear a click from a relay anywhere when fog/spot lights are switched on.
It's a LHD B534 on a Ducato 230 from 1998. I've been told that the model changed about '98 and that this is the later model, ..... i.e. the white van with the 6 circular Hymer lights, rather than any rectangular or original Fiat lights.

Three relays ( 2 x 40A and 1x 100A) in the engine bay mounted just right of centre (viewed from standing in front of the van) on the firewall panel are working, or at least clicking, when I remove them and apply an external 12v supply.

The faulty lights are the two bottom spots. I guess there may be another relay somewhere that switches the two 55W bulbs. Anyone know where such a relay may be located? I have a German language owners manual but there is nothing about relays that I can find, and certainly no diagram of relays or relay locations.
I also tried to take out the switch to test it, but the top cover just pops off and the switch body remains happily in place. It does however, feel and sound like it is switching ok.

I hope this makes some sense to someone!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Joe

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

Re: Hymer Fog Lights Dead

· 
Posted: 26.04.2016  ·  #2
Good Morning
I was thinking about this last night and the setup in Hessy is different as there are no front fogs as standard in the older 534's
Sometimes it is the simplest thing - perhaps the switch?
Try taking the switch out and use a spare to test? And if it is not it - you have the wiring colours so you can trace it to the loom and out again?

JoeO'S
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

Re: Hymer Fog Lights Dead

· 
Posted: 26.04.2016  ·  #3
Good thinking.
I did take out the switch and did continuity checks and it seems to be working.
I forgot to check the colour of the cables however, which as you say could be very useful.
The other thing I noticed is that the switch body seems biggish, so there may not be an associated relay as I first thought.
Good thinking Hessey. I think that idea may be very helpful indeed, when I go at it again to trace the cables -if that's possible without major surgery.
I appreciate your effort and good idea.
Thanks,
Joe

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.