Possible leak on roof top AC unit

Macy
Craic'er
Subject:

Possible leak on roof top AC unit

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #1
I'm going with just possible leak as looking into (well googling) it I'm now not as sure as I was initially.

We were out in the van for the first time since the wind and rain last week over the weekend, and when I took a turn, the kids got a little wet from water coming from around the Air conditioning unit. There doesn't seem to be any sign of long term ingress, and no sign of wetness until taking that turn (no puddle/ wetness on the floor). It just came out over them when I took the right hand turn.

Now I thought it was some seal gone, but after googling it seems there should be a gap between the unit and the roof, and drain points to allow condensation to escape. So I'm beginning to second guess whether it actually could be something to do with the angle of the wind and rain, or the strength and angle of the wind pushing water from the roof up somewhere that shouldn't actually be sealed off (if that makes sense).

From what I can see, the rubber that I can see around the base of the unit on the roof has seen better days, but I'm not sure that'd be the cause. So my question to the experts is should I leave it and see does it happen again before taking apart for more of a look and/or to reseal it? Haven't dug out the paper work we got with the van yet, but I don't think I've installation instructions and have had no joy online, so I'm a little nervous about doing it especially if they is no need.

For reference, there was no sign of water the previous weeks rubbish weather - we were over nighting in it over the bank holiday rainfest! The Van is new to us, and haven't paid any attention to the aircon, as it hasn't been needed so far!

Thanks in advance

Macy
Craic'er
Subject:

Re: Possible leak on roof top AC unit

· 
Posted: 17.06.2012  ·  #2
Think I've tracked down the issue, and since it's dry and no one else is interesting a day out, I want to go up for a look. However I've another question - can I lie on the roof, or will I have to reach from the ladder. I'm a big fella (18st ish), so I'm a bit worried about doing it, but it'd be a pain in the arse to try and do anything reaching over.

So is it safe to go up on the roof, spreading the weight by lying?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2012  ·  #3
Don't quote me :)

Most Motorhomes are made so you can walk on the roof, mine I can walk on the back half of the roof as it is double skinned, but I walk very gently on the front half. If it feels like it can support your weight, it usually can.

Macy
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2012  ·  #4
Thanks, lashing at the moment, but i'll give it a go later.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.