xandra
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Wild Camping

· 
Posted: 06.06.2012  ·  #1
On a trip to Donegal at weekend we tried numerous caravan sites which were full. Not having good internet reception to check out safe sites and in a large motorhome which we weren't sure about taking down narrow roads we had to park up in an area at side of road. Well lit area with houses round about, well off road. Wrong decision!! 2.15 in morning abruptly awoken by thuds on side and rear of motorhome. We were lucky this time. Apart from the fright we got, on a 4 week old motorhome anything other than eggs could have proved very expensive! Lesson learnt! Enjoy wild camping if thats your thing and good luck. Personally we'll stick to sites!
:'(

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Wild camping

· 
Posted: 06.06.2012  ·  #2
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I don't know what part of Donegal you were in .......but I have often stayed in Rathmullen in the car park and apart from some late night revellers we have had no problems. I hope you won't let one incident put you off wild camping. There are some excellent places on this forum to park in comfort. If you search through the menu there is an ere a specially dedicated to this.
Personally I wouldn't stay near a built up area and prefer to find a pub / hotel car park in a rural area. The owners are usually happy to let you park once you have a meal or drinks. As I've said .....look up the sites on this forum and don't let one incident put you off.
Safe driving / camping. :up: :sleep:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Wild Camping

· 
Posted: 06.06.2012  ·  #3
Being new to motor homing I have to agree with Biffo, we stayed in the car par of the waters edge near Rathmullan after a fantastic meal, just mentioned to a manager that we re staying until morning and it was no problem. Woke up to beautiful views and had no hassle even though it is beside the main road, but it is a bit out of the way.

Adriasonic
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria Matrix Supreme
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.2
Subject:

Wild Camping

· 
Posted: 06.06.2012  ·  #4
We stayed in the campsite at Killybegs on Saturday night, did not phone ahead, plenty of spaces, mind you it needs a lot of work done to it, but was safe and quiet.

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

WilDing

· 
Posted: 06.06.2012  ·  #5
We often stay in what's known as the ' Bunker' on Achill island. It's to the left of the site in keel. A bit of a walk to the local pubs but we never have had a problem. The site now costs 26€ and I think that's just too much. We are just back from France and the most we paid was 16€ and on Ille de Olereon it was 9.50€ a night....and that's with hook up and showers. Granted it's a bit rough and could do with a makeover........but at that price......who's complaining.
Any of the harbours along the Shannon are amiable to vans parking overnight. Terry glass, Mountshannon, Portumna, Garrykennedy, Shannonbridge.......all have good pubs and food, and that's just the lower Shannon.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Achill wildcampingHI

· 
Posted: 07.06.2012  ·  #6
Hi,
I presume the "Bunker" is a pub or restraunt? Do you speak with the owner re staying overnight.
Might head there during the summer.
jetty
:lol:

biffo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

BunKer

· 
Posted: 07.06.2012  ·  #7
Unfortunately........no...it's not a pub. It's a section where the surfers and windsurfers park up, directly beside keel beach. There are two pubs and restaurants within easy walking. The parking area is usually empty after the surfers have gone. We nave stayed here on numerous occasions and we have never had a problem...........except having to turn the van into the wind on a very stormy night. :up: :sleep:

McGeemobile
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2012  ·  #8
I'm sorry to hear about this. We spent 5 days in Donegal last week, and had no problems. We parked overnight in the car park in Ardara, and in small coves on the coast to the north and west. I'm sure I also read somewhere on here that the tourist office in Buncrana had allowed parking nearby until their aire facility is ready.
Personally I prefer not to use campsites. I know there's an element of risk anywhere though.

Please would you post the location where this happened so that we can all avoid it?
Thanks

dorts
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2012  ·  #9
You really should let it be known where this happened so we all can avoid it, we wildcamp a lot in Donegal and never had any problems

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Achill wildcamping

· 
Posted: 08.06.2012  ·  #10
Thanks for that Biffo, much appreciated.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #11
Xandra, could you tell us where this was so we can let other members know where to avoid?

Thanks

xandra
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #12
On N56 just outside Cresslough (Letterkenny side). Theres a large area with piles of stones used for resurfacing.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #13
:up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.