RV Insurance for southern Ireland

Silversurfer1
Subject:

RV Insurance for southern Ireland

· 
Posted: 12.08.2014  ·  #1
Hi everyone,
We are living in the south of Ireland and considering the purchase of a Thor Windsport. I read some of the insurance boards here which were very helpful and rang Stuart Services in Dublin which some of you have used. They tell me that they are no longer insuring RV's but that anyone with an existing policy is ok.
Would anyone be able to recommend anyone who would insure an RV in southern Ireland. The insurance companies based in the north won't insure here in the south of Ireland.

Many thanks for any help you can give us.

Bobs
Subject:

Re: RV Insurance for southern Ireland

· 
Posted: 12.08.2014  ·  #2
Hi

we have a 2011 Windsport 32A currently insured with Dolman in Dublin who also included Axa European breakdown cover in the cost. Hope that helps .
regards Bob

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2014  ·  #3
I just renewed with Stewartstown, nobody told me they were stopping RV insurance...

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2014  ·  #4
Stewarts, darned text...

Silversurfer1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2014  ·  #5
Thanks for your replies. Bob can I ask how you find your Winsport 32a. We are about to buy a 2011 Windsport 32a also. Just wondering what you think of it and if theres anything we should be looking for. I read some reports of leaks around the cab windows. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Re Stuarts Insurance - they told me this morning that they will not be insuring any RV's from now on except those already insured with them.

We are waiting on Dolmen to come back with a quote.

Is the tax the same as on the European motorhome we currently have?

Thanks very much for all the help and if you have any advice to give we'ld really appreciate it.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2014  ·  #6
If you're going to lpg it, then the tax (in NI at least) should be less, as it'll be a green vehicle.

Silversurfer1
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2014  ·  #7
Thanks Paul

richardgills
Craic'er
Homepage: r-aautos.com
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2014  ·  #8
Hi Silversurfer where bouts in the south are you based. Im insured with Stewarts but only till October when my RV will be covered by my Trade insurance, i found it hard to get a proper quote when i got Winnie but now my insurance company will cover it trade.

Irishencj7
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2016  ·  #9
Sorry to bring up an old topic but Im in the process of buying an RV. Having checked last year that i could get an insurance quote and continued to search for RVs.

I selected two that im interest in 6 litre diesel and 36 foot. I am 40 with clean record and passed HGV test last year for this exact reason to drive an RV.

Dolmen have just gotten back to me today saying that they will not insure these as they are too big.

It seems from this thread no new RV insurance policies will be issued in Southern ireland.

Anyone any ideas on this.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2016  ·  #10
Don't know if they will be any use to you, but I was in an American car club based in the south and many of the cars and trucks were insured with Carol Nash. I had a quick check on their international website and they do cover motorhomes, whether the do in the Republic and whether it's only classic as opposed to modern , I don't know. Worth a try.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2016  ·  #11
There are more insurance companies around than just Dolmen, Do a quick search at the top of this site as i know it has been asked before,

Did you ask what was too big? is it the engine size or 36"? and what ever they answer ask them what the limit is, that way you will know what their policy will cover,

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2016  ·  #12
Thought I should make you aware of some of the comments coming from that company. I have included one link to a website but there are dozens more expressing a grudge. http://www.consumeractiongroup…ce-Rip-Off. Admin, if this is against the rules please delete.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2016  ·  #13
Quote by pogonogo

Thought I should make you aware of some of the comments coming from that company. I have included one link to a website but there are dozens more expressing a grudge. http://www.consumeractiongroup…ce-Rip-Off. Admin, if this is against the rules please delete.

Many negative complaints are Justified.

However, if you are happy with your insurance company, how likely are you to write them a glowing review. No chance. The op is struggling to achieve legal rv cover. It was only a suggestion and not a recommendation. Many uk insurers are struggling to offer insurance over 6 litre, which excludes most chevy big bock and whatever ford offer. However, once you have a policy it is difficult for the provider to remove this facility. I have struggled with insurance companies over the years and as pogo no go states, they might not be a good one

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2016  ·  #14
But all my american claimants had successful outcomes

tony2phones
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW LT46 exLWB
Base Vehicle: former School bus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2016  ·  #15
Quote by richardgills

Hi Silversurfer where bouts in the south are you based. Im insured with Stewarts but only till October when my RV will be covered by my Trade insurance, i found it hard to get a proper quote when i got Winnie but now my insurance company will cover it trade.

You might want to double check (assuming Motor Trade Insurance) I know its 10 years since I had a Motor Trade Policy but Campervans if owned by me, and my US spec RX7 were excluded.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.