Wild Camping Scotland & Lake District

Cnor1981
Subject:

Wild Camping Scotland & Lake District

· 
Posted: 30.05.2012  ·  #1
Hi Guys

I am considering a trip to Scotland in June making myway to the the Lake District. Aim of the game is to wild camp the whole journey.

Has anyone any knowledge of this ?

I am lookng any information onwildcamp spots along the way and the must see's on route.

Any info or knowledge musch appreciated.

Thanks
Conor

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Wild Camping Scotland & Lake District

· 
Posted: 30.05.2012  ·  #2
Cnor1981
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2012  ·  #3
Thanks will check it out

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #4
Wild camping in Scotland is easy - especially north of the great glen - lots of large laybys, very little traffic.

Unless there are signs prohibiting overnight stops go right ahead and park up.

Do be careful around Loch Ness and the entire length of the Great Glen "no over night" signs abound and are rigourously enforced - almost everwhere else is fine.

If you havent been before Fort William will open your eyes - every third vehicle is a motor home!

Not sure that you will find the Lake district so accomodating for wild camping although Im sure its do-able

Cnor1981
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #5
Thanks

I will maybe stay in Scotland then

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #6
I toured the west coast last year and there are some great places to park up - there are also some really good cheap sites - less than £10 with hookup.

There was a Caravan Club site that wanted a ridiculous sum of money for an over night stop - about 200 yards away - easy walking distance should you want a shower (wink -wink) there was a huge layby with tremendous views across a loch to the mountains for free. elsewhere a C&CC site was right beside a forrest car park. C&CC style themselves "the friendly club" so you might find the door to the shower block held open for you if you were to rush towards it.

Budget Camperman
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #7
Glen Etive in the Highlands south of Fort William is supposed to be a lovely place to wild camp and Applecross in the Northwest Highlands although I have never stayed at either of the locations they both come highly recommended.

Cnor1981
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2012  ·  #8
Raymondo

Did you go right up to John o'Groat ?

raymondo
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.06.2012  ·  #9
I went further that JoG I went to Orkney!

If you go to JoG dont stop at the JoG site its way over priced about half a mile away - in "Huna" there is a site with hook up and free showers that was I think about £10 per night.

Applecross is supposed to be very good but there are a couple of very steep hills between it and Skye (which is where we were coming from) and we are a bit under powered - as it was I have never driven so far in second gear!

most of the roads are also very narrow - single track with passing places - so you have to keep your wits about you unless you are really keen on reversing!

We had a great time last year although we didnt wild camp much we did try and pay less than £10 per night although it wasnt always possible.

there is a great little site on Skye at Broadford right on the coast (like 20 feet from the water) which as also about £10 per night - its a C&CC site but if they have room I dont think that they will turn you away - they didnt check our membership

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.