Donegal

neil
Subject:

Donegal

· 
Posted: 08.08.2015  ·  #1
We have made it across the pond and found out that motor homes are not welcome at the causeway. As much as I like N Ireland I now have persuaded my travel companions to head west into Donegal. I know that campers are allowed at the hostel near the folk museum at Glencolmcille, has anyone been allowed to park their motorhome at the museum or the hostel?
Also any recommendations of campsites within walking distance of beaches in west Donegal would be most welcome. N Ireland tourist board could not give me any info on Donegal.
We are at a really nice site nr Portrush at present Maddybennys, nice site, loads of animals and horse riding for the kids. Had a great pint of Guinness in The Boyd Arms, Ballycastle.
Thanks to this great forum we will take macgilligan ferry and head west in the morning.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Donegal

· 
Posted: 08.08.2015  ·  #2
Nice site(s) short walking distance to the beech are the three at Benone which are before you get on the ferry to Greencastle. If you wild camp you will get a better choice of beaches in Donegal.

Normally if anyone is heading to the Causeway I try to warn them that it's both a rip off unless a NT member and you could have difficulty parking again unless a NT member.

As for the NI tourist board don't get us started, there is the website for the Irish Tourist board which should give site information But we also have in the review section of the site have some site reviews of a few in Donegal

neil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2015  ·  #3
Thanks , ferry here we come, no wifi for a while

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2015  ·  #4
Donegal is superb for wilding.
Rathmullen is good, nice beach and parking in the car park.
Singing pub in Downings is also a great stop.
Park across the road from the folk museum in Glencolmkille is good stop too.
Generally if you pick spots that aren't enfringing on others then you'll be fine.
I'm in Donegal, have plenty of room and can give you a few nights free if required.... however I'm inland a bit.... about 15 mins South of Letterkenny.
Electric /water/waste disposal too if needed.... just a thought if you need a spot for a few nights.
Enjoy your trip, Donegal is wonderful.... but the weather here not nice at moment.

t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2015  ·  #5
just up the road from Glencolmcille, silver strand with just 100 odd steps down to the beach. If you have ground clearance, some people camp down at the old harbour in the same area, down from the castle/tower thing (can't miss it). or on around the coast towards Killybegs, muckross/mucros is a very quiet wee beach with a concrete carpark just above (not for bigger motorhomes though). you'll probably have the beach to yourselves.

ps slieve league cliffs are worth a visit if you're in this area.

neil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.08.2015  ·  #6
Thanks for information. We are in Daniel o donnell town at the moment and planned to go to the folk museum tomorrow so the information is great. I'm surprised at how few campsites there are. The weather is making getting to the beach difficult. I have found a couple of hostels that may allow campervans, 27 - 30 odd euros. Arranmore looks inviting but I forgot my dive card.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2015  ·  #7
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/…a00c7a9973

Probably too late but if you are still around Kincasalla the car park beside the beach at Cloughglass is a good place to overnight , you will probably have it all to yourself. It's a couple of miles off the main rd down a narrow but OK single track, just follow the TRA sighs.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.