Water

Mistymousre
Subject:

Water

· 
Posted: 19.02.2015  ·  #1
A newcomer to motorhoming in Ireland, I am concerned about finding fresh water when wilding. I've heard you can fill your tank at garages. Can anyone comment please?
Jim

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Water

· 
Posted: 19.02.2015  ·  #2
As long as its only for washing then yes if the garage will let you, but better to ask first. I like a lot of other prefer to carry our drinking water separately and use the onboard for washing/toilet etc.

There are other options as well such as asking a house if you could attach a hose to their tap or even the likes of a grave yard.

notathome
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2015  ·  #3
Down south, especially with Metered Water Charges being introduced it's a tough one to answer. I'm not sure if a house owner who has to pay will let you fill away if it's gonna cost them. We've our own well so if anyone is in our area your welcome to fill up.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.02.2015  ·  #4
I have filled at harbours and graveyards in the past, and if pushed we stay at a site occasionally and can fill and empty and use the site facilities for a decent shower. The Shannon Erne waterway has lots of marinas were you can fill also. I dare say if you offer a pub etc a few euro you could get a fill. Good reason for filling with the watering can at every opportunity.

We drink the water from our tanks without issue either here in Ireland or France

If you are wilding a lot you will find that disposal of rubbish is a bigger issue. There are few litter bins in the Republic of Ireland as people are expected to take their rubbish home and we don't like putting ours into shop provided litter bins. Another reason for the occasional site nite !

Davy

mickcork
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Ducato Pilote
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2015  ·  #5
I have topped up the tank in the local garage with no issues, I usually say it to whoever is working there first, so far so good..

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2015  ·  #6
when you say to the garage you need deisel and would there be any chance of filling with water then i cant see a refusal, unless of course the water rates are crippling them.

like most motorhome issues, there is a trade of for service and spending locally......

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2015  ·  #7
Quote by TeamRienza

We drink the water from our tanks without issue either here in Ireland or France

I dont think i would drink the water in Co Roscommon as they are on boil notice for the last year. :sick: :sick:

John W
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.02.2015  ·  #8
Hello,
We bring our own water for drinking and never use the tank water except for cooking and showering.
If we run out of drinking water we purchase 5 our bottles and boil them for tea and coffee.
There can be a bit more sodium in the water bottles though.
You can invest in a water purifier.quite expensive but no dicky stomach.
Enjoy

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2015  ·  #9
We bought two 5 litres of water from asda for a pound each and we just reuse the bottles every time we head of, and use the tank for washing always seem to have plenty and have not run short yet

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2015  ·  #10
Quote by hillton9

We bought two 5 litres of water from asda for a pound each and we just reuse the bottles every time we head of, and use the tank for washing always seem to have plenty and have not run short yet

Have you read stuff like this
http://environment.about.com/o…ottles.htm

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.03.2015  ·  #11
Personally I only drink water from bottles in the MH and use the tank for washing up and showering. at home I do drink water from the tap and this is the same water on my site. I am probably doing this unnecessarily but why take a chance. Campsite and those that use water on a commercial basis have had to pay for their water in the South before the introduction of the water charges for domestic use coming in later this year.
So yes you might have an issue getting water if you are only wild camping and as mentioned in a previous post rubbish is expensive to dispose of therefore litter bins are few and far between and normally have a small opening to put the rubbish in. That said recycling points for cans and bottles are easy enough to find.

norma
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: VW T5
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.04.2015  ·  #12
Quote by TeamRienza

I have filled at harbours and graveyards in the past, and if pushed we stay at a site occasionally and can fill and empty and use the site facilities for a decent shower. The Shannon Erne waterway has lots of marinas were you can fill also. I dare say if you offer a pub etc a few euro you could get a fill. Good reason for filling with the watering can at every opportunity.

If you are wilding a lot you will find that disposal of rubbish is a bigger issue. There are few litter bins in the Republic of Ireland as people are expected to take their rubbish home and we don't like putting ours into shop provided litter bins. Another reason for the occasional site nite !

Davy

We take a full bin bag to the recycling centre in the south. It costs about 3.50....
We have been wondering if water will be much harder to get hold of this year too....
Norma

Carnsoreboxer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.04.2015  ·  #13
We got stuck in Achill when we ran out of water. We did a trawl of graveyards until we found a suitable tap in a suitable location. OH says he'll go to hell for robbing water from a graveyard on Easter Sunday!!

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.04.2015  ·  #14
Quote by Carnsoreboxer

We got stuck in Achill when we ran out of water. We did a trawl of graveyards until we found a suitable tap in a suitable location. OH says he'll go to hell for robbing water from a graveyard on Easter Sunday!!

It's not robbing. Where's the evidence? In the cassette?

mick
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #15
Hi all we were down in dingle went to the top garage on our way to do the slea head drive went into the shop bought a few things my husband was filling up with water the court boy came over and told us to stop as it cost them money and the water is only to be used as a coolant.
We were also going to fill our tank with diesel but after that we decided not to
Tricia

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #16
Quote by mick

Hi all we were down in dingle went to the top garage on our way to do the slea head drive went into the shop bought a few things my husband was filling up with water the court boy came over and told us to stop as it cost them money and the water is only to be used as a coolant.
We were also going to fill our tank with diesel but after that we decided not to
Tricia

Did you tell them Tricia that you intended to fill up on diesel? I suspect with the new water charges it is going to get harder to find places to fill up on H20.

Micklad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: camper van conversion
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #17
do commercial places no pay allready and im sure if you said ye were getting diesel as well there wouldnt be a problem

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #18
Quote by Shivster

Quote by mick

Tricia

Did you tell them Tricia that you intended to fill up on diesel? I suspect with the new water charges it is going to get harder to find places to fill up on H20.

Yes, but there is a big difference between topping up your radiator expansion bottle and filling up your water tank, I can kind of see their side too.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #19
What would 100 litres of water cost now on a ROI business tarif ?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #20
Quote by mark

What would 100 litres of water cost now on a ROI business tarif ?

Don't know Mark, I wouldn't think it would be too expensive but if a number of Motorhomes filled up it would probably add up alright. I still think if you are buying Diesel or something from the shop and ask nicely it shouldn't be a problem. Better ask first do.

masterman
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #21
I filled up in the topaz garage in Belleek on Friday and gave the fella €4,
Thought it only fair to offer something.
We found that Aires in France charged about €2.00....

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #22
I was thinking of a reasonable charge.
I would hate to offer €2 and find it cost someone €5 if you know what I mean.

I would prefer to know and offer whilst well informed.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #23
Commercial business have paid for water for years,i know the campsite in loughree east in Athlone his bill is over a 1000e for the season. :sick: :sick:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2015  ·  #24
Found this website which shows commercial water charges in Ireland per cubic meter which is 1000 litres.

The most expensive I found was €1.75 which equates to 35 cents for 100 litres.

I would imagine €2 for 100 is a fair offer.

http://www.water.ie/business/pricing/

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2015  ·  #25
Quote by TAYLOR.

Commercial business have paid for water for years,i know the campsite in loughree east in Athlone his bill is over a 1000e for the season. :sick: :sick:

He needs to sink a well, he would save it in a year or two,

Sorry for the hi jack of thread

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.06.2015  ·  #26
Quote by mad max

Quote by TAYLOR.

He needs to sink a well, he would save it in a year or two,

Sorry for the hi jack of thread

Sink a Well? Half the year he is flooded :D

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.06.2015  ·  #27
:lol: :lol:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.