Where to go in Wales

Last minute decision

Saoire
Subject:

Where to go in Wales

· 
Posted: 30.04.2015  ·  #1
Hi all.
I am new to this site so hope I am doing things right.

We are planning to avail of Irish Ferries free trip to UK next week to see some of Wales. We are thinking to go Dublin-Holyhead, drive south and return Pembroke-Rosslare.

As this is a last minute decision and we have never been to Wales we would appreciate any suggestions/tips in relation to places to see, to park up or campsites. In fact we would be delighted with any tips at all. We are a retired couple and this time our 27 year old daughter is coming with us so basically we are looking for a fairly restful break. My husband and herself would like walks but unfortunately I am a wheelchair user so accessibility is a bit of an issue for me. I usually stay at the 'van and read while the others head off.

All or any advice would be most welcome as we have little time to do research.

Thanks in advance

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

Re: Where to go in Wales

· 
Posted: 30.04.2015  ·  #2
We did few days in Wales, Easter 2014 using the free trip like yourselves. However, we were travelling with young kids and we went in and out of Holyhead. So the furtherest we got into Wales was Betws-y-Coed. So our itinerary and route really is not that compatible with yours.

We did find the beach at Newborough, Anglesey quite delightful. It is situated in a small forest and there are nice walks/cycle trails. The car park is large with good toilet facilities but unfortunately you cannot see the beach from the carpark due to the sand dunes. However, there is a small boardwalk that would be wheelchair friendly.

Entrance to the beach is barrier controlled and cost a few £. I can't remember how much exactly but you would need to be intending to stay a few hours to make it worth your while. We loved it but it might not suit you. I don' think you are meant to overnight here but one van definitely did. There is a small campsite up the road which we chose to stay at. But given your mobility issues it wouldn't be a good choice for you.

From Llanberis (pronounced Clanberis apparently) you can get a train up to the top of Mount Snowdonia. Or there is a shorter trip you can do out by the lake. The town is touristy but nice. However, if you are not doing one of these trips its probably not worth going to. There are lots of steam train type excursions in Wales and I'm sure most or all would be wheelchair friendly.

I'm sure others will be along with better suggestion.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2015  ·  #3
Hi

Will put a request on another forum I belong to for info on your behalf there are quite a few welsh members.

I will try and copy and paste any response I get and send you a PM or put on this post as you prefer

David

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2015  ·  #4
We just returned on Monday from our 'freebie' to Wales.
Did two weekends with camping club, two nights Britstops, two nights C L s and one night on a proper site for showers and laundry. Cheap week!!

Try LLandudno for a really good Victorian resort, long flat promenade with easy parking towards the east end, several flat shopping/browsing streets, the pier of course, and depending on mobility the great Orme head tram.

Also close by the town of Conwy is pleasant with its harbour and castle with walls. Dedicated motor home parking behind the castle.

Chester is another nice historic town, pretty flat with walls etc. easy parking at the Roodee car park by the racecourse and you can stay overnight for a few pounds.

Lots of nice drives through the mountains. Betws y coed is small and good for outdoor shops but not much else. Llangollen is nice and the canal is wheelchair friendly from the town to the horseshoe falls. Drive over the horseshoe pass if you get a chance. The aqueduct at pontycillite is interesting, and we found the slate museum in Llanberis very interesting with easy parking.

Beaumaris on Anglsey is a pleasent seaside village. Try and cross the straights by the original bridge. Make sure you drive to Blenau Ffestiniog to see the devastation of the mountains by the slate industry ! The steam train from Port madoc to there is great but not sure if wheelchair friendly.

Port Merrion is interesting but a little hilly but not impossible for a wheelchair.

The car park at Newborough is £4 but we did not visit.

Hope this helps, if I can give any other info please ask, though I may not have the answer.

Davy

Saoire
Subject:

Thanks

· 
Posted: 30.04.2015  ·  #5
Oh thanks so much to Waterman, David and Davy. I can't get over how helpful ye all have been and so quickly. Isn't this www thingy groovy

Saoire
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2015  ·  #6
🇧🇭 Fe.k. I wrote a half decent reply and clicked/tapped submit but it looks to me as if only the first sentences went up. Not complaining but maybe one of those amazing computer people may be able to tell me what I did wrong. But, hey, no worries, sure don't you have enough to be doing? Just wanted to add my tuppence worth. Had a few little tips to offer from travels in France. Anyway, TKs again to all and off to fill my hot water bottle again. Nite nite (no suitable smiley face available - BTW - why do we call them 'smiley faces' when most of them are crying, winking, yawning, or just being horrible? - maybe there is another name for them but if not let's have a competition for best alternative if there is not already one out there.

For de craic.

McGeemobile
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2015  ·  #7
On Anglesey about 40 mins from Holyhead there's a really nice spot in Beaumaris overlooking the Menai Straits . It's a municipal grassy car park where they ask motorhomes to park in one section. It has stunning views towards the mainland and I think it costs £3 overnight. We've stayed there a number of times, and there have usually been 4 or 5 vans. It's less than 5 mins walk from the castle, shops, bars and restaurants.

McGeemobile
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.04.2015  ·  #8
Just noticed you will need flat access. It's flat, and although the parking area is grassed there's a tarmac track which would be wheelchair friendly but may take a bit longer to walk to the local amenities

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2015  ·  #9
Reply received

North wales with Caernafon castle is a good start. you can get a steam train to Portmadoc from here.
Portmerion is close to Portmadoc where they filmed the prisoner. (wheelchair friendly)
Anglesey has plenty of sites close to beaches. Close to Holyhead if they land late in the day and don't feel like driving.
Llanberris mountain railway up Snowden and Power mountain (Hydro electric power station built into the mountain) are both enjoyable.
Hope this is useful

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2015  ·  #10
Another reply

There is a council site in Cardiff city just 10min walk thro park to the Castle and main shopping area . but it is not cheap ok for Disabled as there is a good walk way to the park http://www.cardiffcaravanpark.co.uk/content.asp . But check your dates If there is a Major event on it gets very busy it is also next to Glamorgan cricket ground was Known as Sophia gardens http://www.visitcardiff.com/events/

David

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2015  ·  #11
Too late for the OP but might help someone else, this PUB welcomes Motorhomes....

http://www.greeninn.co.uk/

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.