how much are french tolls for a motorhome

help

libby
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #1
I need some help to calculate how much the french tolls are for a motorhome,we will be going to montpelier from cherbourg and any sites i bring up dont let you put in motorhomes just car and caravan,any help here woul be great,thanks xx

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: how much are french tolls for a motorhome

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #2
I have heard its class two for Motorhome,

But one of the more experienced will tell you for sure :up:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #3
We have done that route for the last few years Libby.

Autoroutes.fr have produced a PDF guide to toll charges until 2014. I have been unable to find a 2015 version.

I have included the link to the 2014 version below but prices will have changed slightly. Please remember to use the correct class for your vehicle. If your Motorhome is up to 3500 kg is should be class 2. Your class appears on the toll booth screen when paying. If it shows a higher class than yours is press the button and tell the assistant your correct class. They will change the charge.

Print this as a rough guide to charges.
http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKed…s%2001.pdf

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #4
I should also have mentioned the fastest way (avoiding Paris which most people prefer to do ) is probably A28 Le Mans and A85 Tours to Vierzon route.
This is just my opinion and someone else may have a better idea.

Do you need to use tolls at all? You will miss some very nice towns using autoroute.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #5
as mark says if you dont need to make up time etc then stay off them
i have been that route and back twice now and didnt use tolls
some lovely villages and towns on the route too

pogonogo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #6
we have been going to the continet for years and has'nt paid a toll yet, come to think of it the only place we pay tolls is s. ireland. Enjoy the country side and the villages. Most sat-navs have the option to remove the tolls from the route.

ouragh
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #7
Try http://en.mappy.com/itineraire ( Hope the blue clicky thing works )

And click on 'more options' - this allows you to select 'campervan'

I have used this site for years and it's always predicted accurately ( even when I towed a caravan)

Bon voyage!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #8
Quote by pogonogo

we have been going to the continet for years and has'nt paid a toll yet, come to think of it the only place we pay tolls is s. ireland. Enjoy the country side and the villages. Most sat-navs have the option to remove the tolls from the route.

Some people need to cover the distance quickly Andy. As you know autoroute is great if you are in a hurry to get somewhere. That is why I asked if Libby needed to use autoroute.

libby
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #9
thanks guys for the info,we will head to la rochelle from cherbourg then on down to the south and where going to take our time comming back and just do the coast road on up so we will stop of at most places toll free but thought using tolls to go down would probably save on fuel,our camper is very big ,6 beth autostradus 2.8 over 8 metres,was just wanting to know a rough cost of tolls,Mark i will check out that link,and again than you so much for the info

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #10
We only use tolls in an emergency, if we must get somewhere as quickly as possible. We never use then when in holiday mode.

The Class 2 rate is officially used for MH's not over 3.5t and/or not over 3 meters hight.
If Class 3 comes up in an automated booth press the help button and say Je suis une camping-car class 2 s'il vous plaît and price will be changed to the correct rate for that class.

Regular size MH's over the 3.5t with a single rear axle will also get through at Class 2, though tag's and bigger stuff on the like of an Iveco which look like they are definitely over 3.5t are usually caught for Class 3.
I've never heard of anyone being asked to produce evidence of a MH's GVW at a toll booth.

Those a bit over the 3 meters, (sat domes, luton overcabs, roof boxes) are usually also allowed through at Class 2 :D .

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #11
hi .it might be of some help to you to check out, about-france.com/tourism/no toll routes. it gives a lot of helpfull info,and toll prices for certin routes. enjoy your trip. :up:

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #12
We did that trip earlier in the year. On the way down we used tolls exclusively, and on the way back, didn't use any. Chalk and cheese. I'd never use the tolls again, lose out on so much.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #13
The key issue here is time and how you value it. Just for the sake of this example I am going to assume you want to get there as quickly as possible (one day's driving) irrespective of the route.

Motorways will cost more due to tolls and higher average speed. D roads will take longer but the distance will be much the same. Your kmpg should be significantly better due to the lower speed.

In making your 'calculation of value' the other key issue you have to take into account is your actual average speed irrespective of your chosen route. Many people seem to forget this when they look at the time estimate for motorway travel.

Based on the screenshots below:

The D route option is 645km estimating 8h 6mins. That works out at just less than 80km per hour. Very doable for a camper. (Not that I would recommend doing it all in day but as I said I'm just assuming you want to maximise time in the south.)

The motorway option is 663km estimating 5h 51mins. That works out at almost 120km per hour! Needless to say there is no way you will do anything like that speed.

So the critical factor is what average speed would you travel at on the motorway? Lets assume 95 (I wouldn't but lets assume that speed.) That works out at approximately 7 hours. 66 minutes quicker than the D route.

QED: Tolls+extra diesel (big difference in KM/ltr at 80 vs 95 in a camper) = 66 minutes of extra time in the south! I know which I'd choose even if I wanted to do it in one day. But your van your choice. Either way I hope this is for some help. :up:

Motorway

D Route

libby
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #14
wow so much info to take in,im not the sort of person who plans everything down to a t we usually just take it day by day and do what we feel like,so I think we might jut take the coast road down and take our time,we ordered the book on aires and the camping card for the camp sites,so when we have a look at that will give us a better idea of where we will stay,we done Normandy and Brittany 2 years ago in September,weather was bad but loved it anyway,we used to travel around Europe years ago but it was always motorways hubby was an hgv driver so was very different as he was always in a hurry,now its time to sit back and relax,thanks everyone for your input ,great to get so much info,ohh ment to ask anyone on the stena 19th may or coming back on the 3rd june couls have a chat and a drink on the ferry.xxx

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #15
Quote by libby

wow so much info to take in,im not the sort of person who plans everything down to a t we usually just take it day by day and do what we feel like,so I think we might jut take the coast road down and take our time,we ordered the book on aires and the camping card for the camp sites,so when we have a look at that will give us a better idea of where we will stay,we done Normandy and Brittany 2 years ago in September,weather was bad but loved it anyway,we used to travel around Europe years ago but it was always motorways hubby was an hgv driver so was very different as he was always in a hurry,now its time to sit back and relax,thanks everyone for your input ,great to get so much info,ohh ment to ask anyone on the stena 19th may or coming back on the 3rd june couls have a chat and a drink on the ferry.xxx

📖 It's easy plan in the off season* especially when one should be doing something else :whistle:

You'll have a great time.

*I know it's not off season but you get my drift.

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.05.2015  ·  #16
Via Michelin also allows you to check route options regarding times and toll costs. It calculates toll costs based on cars but if your motorhome is class 2 , add 50% to the car toll and you wont be far out. Here is the link: Via Michelin
This site also has useful info and motorway maps ( toll and toll free ) About France

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.05.2015  ·  #17
good analysis waterman, but do you really think it is possible to do toll-less big trips without getting caught going through many villages/town etc. and getting slowed right down, Ive tended to stay on tolls getting down to the sun the last 10 years. Would consider doing it without tools if I thought it wasnt going to be very frustrating with the stop/start nature on non toll roads? I have an open mind and am willing to be persuaded. We are headin to costa brava from calais in July so I might look in to a toll free route.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.05.2015  ·  #18
just checked that mappy link. Calais to Costa Brava just came in at 7 hours longer with a saving all in of 90euro on the non toll version. That saving wouldnt keep me off the autoroutes. We also use autoroute services to ovenight in also which is free. Horses for courses!

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.05.2015  ·  #19
Hymner 544 apparently there have been a lot of robberies on the Autorouts Service Areas at night.

Scanner
Love's the Craic
Homepage: dgmotorhomes.co.uk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.05.2015  ·  #20
Quote by voyager
It calculates toll costs based on cars but if your motorhome is class 2 , add 50% to the car toll and you wont be far out.

Easier just to select car and caravan as that is Class 2.

Select small truck if you are Class 3.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.05.2015  ·  #21
jack, ive heard that every year that ive been going to france....still waiting to be gassed and robbed!
Im such a light sleeper that no chance of even getting near my van without me waking. AS long as family get a sleep im happy just to lay there and meditate till dawn. No time wasted on the run to the sun you see, thats our strategy. Meander home is at a much gentler pace.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2015  ·  #22
Quote by Hymer544

good analysis waterman, but do you really think it is possible to do toll-less big trips without getting caught going through many villages/town etc. and getting slowed right down, Ive tended to stay on tolls getting down to the sun the last 10 years. Would consider doing it without tools if I thought it wasnt going to be very frustrating with the stop/start nature on non toll roads? I have an open mind and am willing to be persuaded. We are headin to costa brava from calais in July so I might look in to a toll free route.

It depends on the route and your frame of mind. If all you are thinking about is 'getting there' then its probably not a good idea to take a D route as every little 'delay' will frustrate the hell out of you. If however you are happy to move along, taking in the scenery, stopping for a picnic etc and arrive a couple of hours later, with more money in your pocket, than if you had taken the motorway then why not? See a bit of the country side along the way and all that.

I don't tend to do really high kms in one day in the MH because I wouldn't be that pressed for time. We would tend to break up really long journeys with overnights. But if I was doing the trip that Libby is planning and had to do it all in one day (in the MH) then I would give myself a little more time and take the D. And I'm speaking from experience as I've driven most of that route. In a car not a chance, motorway and 130km all the way.

But my basic point is that I think a lot of people look at the time estimate of the motorway vs a D route but forget to factor in the fact that in a camper you wont do anything near the motorway time estimate. The end result is paying a lot of money to gain very little.

As for your route, now at ~1,300kms that's a whole other ballgame and what really comes into play in your scenario is the amount of time you have. But my starting position would be to take my time on the way up and down and make that part of the holiday. However, if my holiday was all about the Costa Brava then it would be, suck it up folks we're burning diesel :D But that really wouldn't be me.

[BTW There can also be horrendous delays on the motorways. And it would certainly frustrate the hell out of me to be paying to sit in a jam.]

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2015  ·  #23
I know all about traffic jams in France as we lost near 8 hours on the periphique around Paris last year

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2015  ·  #24
Travelling south on a motorway any weekend in the summer with Paris to your back is :o :devil: :o
It's soooo easy to loose 6 or 8 hours.

Click HERE and scroll down to "Bison Futé" for an alternative view. There's lots of other useful info on the site which is current.

The courier
My Motorhome: dethleffs
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2019  ·  #25
Hi All . Travelling to France in June . Going to land bridge using euro tunnel . I was thinking of purchasing a toll tag to save money . Is it worth purchasing tag for only 2 weeks

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2019  ·  #26
In bought the ATmB tag 2 years ago. Cost €20 for the tag and there is a small charge for each month you use it. Only go to France for 2 weeks each September but tolls are so easy and quick with the tag. No messing about with a credit card out the passenger window. Go for it.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2019  ·  #27
Ditto. €20 for tag. €1.60 for each month you use it, plus the tolls of course, but a gift to sail through the tolls. They can get backed up, big time

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2019  ·  #28
Quote by The courier

Hi All . Travelling to France in June . Going to land bridge using euro tunnel . I was thinking of purchasing a toll tag to save money . Is it worth purchasing tag for only 2 weeks

What is the tunnel cost .last time we went the ferry was much cheaper.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2019  ·  #29
Another vote here for the toll tag, we have ATMB and find it fine.
The biggest problem I find with non toll if you’re looking to go to a destination directly is going through the towns/villages. Not the towns themselves, they’re lovely....... it’s the bloody roundabouts..... the French love them.... they won’t use one roundabout if they can fit in 20......... they’re pandemic! ...... I think the French breed roundabouts for sale !

But if in no rush take the non toll route, there is just so much to see rather than a motorway...... motorways are motorways whether it’s France or Ireland....... France is lovely, just enjoy the trip.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2019  ·  #30
Tolls in France o.O , I've heard they exist but never seen one, like leprechauns.

Seriously though, They're ok for making time from a to b if necessary, but I wouldn't include them in a touring route, I've never considered 6 hours of boring motorway driving to a part of a holiday,

As for cost, the most important thing is to get the Class 2 rate https://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

You can usually blag Class 2 if you're over 3,500kg if it's an uprate option but the standard weight is 3,500kg.

I have a Tag for Ireland (being LHD) but with Tap & Go debit cards the manual booths are so quick I wouldn't bother with a tag for France

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2019  ·  #31
I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that. I have on plenty of occasions seen a long tail back at the manual booths. With the toll tag you don’t even stop, you just slow down and drive through

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2019  ·  #32
Quote by JJF
Another vote here for the toll tag, we have ATMB and find it fine.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2019  ·  #33
I have Atmb. I paid €23 for the tag. If I return the tag it is refunded except for €5 for postage, I think. It costs €1.60 for every month you use it, plus the tolls, of course. If your trip crosses over from one month to the next, you will be charged 2x €1.60. If you don’t use it there is no charge

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.04.2019  ·  #34
as well

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2019  ·  #35
I use Sanef, but I have 2 tags , one for French tolls and one for Spain/Portuguese tolls .

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

french tolls for a motorhome

· 
Posted: 29.04.2019  ·  #36
Quote by Daffysparks

I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that. I have on plenty of occasions seen a long tailback at the manual booths. With the toll tag, you don’t even stop, you just slow down and drive through

There is nothing like the smile on your face :D when you sail through the ( t ) lane while all other ten lanes are full of the vehicles who flew past you in the last hour or when you wave to them when they pass you again in the next hour. :lol:

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2019  ·  #37
Quote by Daffysparks

I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that. I have on plenty of occasions seen a long tail back at the manual booths. With the toll tag you don’t even stop, you just slow down and drive through

If you're over 3,500kg are you automatically charged Class 3. When applying do you have to declare/prove the GVW.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2019  ·  #38
Quote by baguette
If you're over 3,500kg are you automatically charged Class 3. When applying do you have to declare/prove the GVW.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2019  ·  #39
I’m 3.1 meters with the satellite dome. Always charged as class 2. I’d say the bulk of the vehicle needs to be over the 3 mts., not just one small part

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2019  ·  #40
Likewise, were 3.2m with top box on roof, always get the class 2

Quote by Daffysparks

I’m 3.1 meters with the satellite dome. Always charged as class 2. I’d say the bulk of the vehicle needs to be over the 3 mts., not just one small part

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.