Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Miri

· 
Posted: 04.08.2014  ·  #1
It's me again! :'( since joining up I've been trawling the endless nuggets of info, advice and stories, held in these magic pages. Every now and then I think, "must look into that". My latest query is about this mifi. I thought at first it was a plug for a now defunct flat pack company. But now, I reckon it's almost a prerequisite of the 21st century to install mifi in the motorhome. So. Which one (s) of you guys can fill me in with lay mans terms regarding installing, buying and running it. Is it just like having a router? Is it expensive to run? Usual stuff. 8-)

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Miri

· 
Posted: 04.08.2014  ·  #2
Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2014  ·  #3
Quote by Helgahobby

So. Which one (s) of you guys can fill me in with lay mans terms regarding installing, buying and running it. Is it just like having a router? Is it expensive to run? Usual stuff. 8-)

Just like a router, but instead of being connected to your phone line it is connected to 3g/4g via a sim placed in the MiFi. It then is able to share a WiFi connection to your devices in your Motorhome, data is received through the 3g/4g connection so it depends on what signal you have how fast or how slow it will be.

Three network in Ireland seems very very good, so most are using a Three data sim.

If you stick to emails and browsing they are not expensive, if you start watching movies then it can add up.

Loads of unlocked ones available on ebay, amazon etc.

Another method which is basically the same, if you have a smart phone you can share the connection on it to your ipad, assuming you have a data package.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2014  ·  #4
The reason for using the 3 network is they operate a "feel like home" package which allows you to roam north/south and into some countries in Europe with no additional charge, it just comes off your package which you bought from them. Data roaming charges can be horrendous.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2014  ·  #5
Glenn
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2015  ·  #6
"Feel at home" works well (if a bit slowly) in countries "on the list", but.... You can tether other devices to your phone (acting as a mobile hotspot) in your HOME country. If you're elsewhere (in a feel at home country) - you can't connect a laptop. It seems that you can connect a Kindle fire and the phone doesnt object to it being tethered; but as soon as you connect the laptop alll www access is blocked until you restart the phone.

Does the Huawei get round this block?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.