MPPT Load connection

broms
Love's the Craic
Subject:

MPPT Load connection

· 
Posted: 02.05.2014  ·  #1
Hi folks looking to fit a couple of panels to my van and some of the MPPT controllers have a set of terminal on them for Solar, Battery and Load - does anyone know what the Load terminal are used for - probably being totally thick but I can get my head round it.

Cheers

Phil

Phoebe
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

Re: MPPT Load connection

· 
Posted: 02.05.2014  ·  #2
I think the load connections are only used to run something direct from the controller.you just need to use the battery connections to charge the battery's..
Steven..

broms
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2014  ·  #3
Thanks Phoebe that makes sense I don't plan on doing that anyway so I can just ignore it :-)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2014  ·  #4
Michelinman fitted my panels and mppt controller and the load cables come alive as such after dark and with a socket attached allow for the charging of a phone, ipad etc when you are sleeping.

broms
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2014  ·  #5
hmmm might have to find out a bit more then - the mppt controller i am looking is a cheapie on ebay but the single sheet of instructions like many is not the best!!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2014  ·  #6
broms
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2014  ·  #7
broms
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2014  ·  #8
Found this - It seems that the primary purpose of the load control function is to disconnect system loads when the battery has discharged to a low state of charge (hopefully this will never happen once the panels are fitted) and reconnect system loads when the battery is sufficiently recharged. System loads may be lights, pumps, motors, DC appliances, and other electronic devices. the total current draw of all loads must not exceed the ss-Mppt 15 amp maximum load rating. I could I guess run the GPS, Reversing camera, and MP3 player off the load controller. In essence it is a split feed - I think!

christyler
Subject:

Mppt Controller

· 
Posted: 18.03.2015  ·  #9
The load terminals are supposed to be the the 12volt output that feeds everything "leisure" in the van.

you should not wire direct from the battery, but through the controller for best charging results, the controller then knows the current consumption and can work at its most efficient.

obviously you must choose a controller that has a current rating in excess of you maximum load.

kelpie
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2015  ·  #10
I was watching a video on YouTube of someone fitting solar panels to a fifth wheel RV. He said that the "Load" connection was there for the controller to divert any extra current produced by the solar panels over and above that needed to charge the batteries. It is basically a divert so as not to waste potential from the panels. He recommended connecting it to the water heater rather than anything that needs a steady current. Even intermittent diversions of current through the load terminal could help heat your water during the day.

I am no expert, but this seemed logical.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2015  ·  #11
It may depend on the controller as to what the load terminals can do.

On my controller you have in put from the solar panel, out put to the leisure batteries and an output which can be programmed to be on or off at certain times, for example only gives power between dusk and dawn for a certain number of hours which would allow a phone to be charged. It supplies the power at that time direct from the batteries.

Confusing or what!

christyler
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2015  ·  #12
Quote by kelpie

I was watching a video on YouTube of someone fitting solar panels to a fifth wheel RV. He said that the "Load" connection was there for the controller to divert any extra current produced by the solar panels over and above that needed to charge the batteries. It is basically a divert so as not to waste potential from the panels. He recommended connecting it to the water heater rather than anything that needs a steady current. Even intermittent diversions of current through the load terminal could help heat your water during the day.

I am no expert, but this seemed logical.

I don't mean to be rude but that is just "tosh" i use these controllers everyday, The "Load" terminals are where you connect the "load".
If you meter the load terminals you will find voltage on there all the time (except when the battries reach minimum voltage then the controller turns the Load terminals off) it doesn't "divert" anything, sorry but You tube misinformed you.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.