Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Generators

· 
Posted: 24.03.2012  ·  #1
Hi

Anybody know anything about generators? thinking of getting one, mainly as we spend quite some time in race paddocks without EHU. The guy beside us last night had a 'silent' generator, and we thought it was great, normally they are rubbish, sounds like a car engine running, but this one was great.

Any thoughts?

Dee :up:

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Generators

· 
Posted: 24.03.2012  ·  #2
Someone will be along that knows a lot more than me, but from what I have read you want one with sinewave to protect electrical equipment like laptops and your onboard charger.

The Honda ones are very expensive and it seems a lot use the Kipor make. Always let it warm up and be of the choke before connecting it.

I have a small two stroke one which is smoky and has no sinewave protector thingy. I was going to attempt to use it to charge batteries when needed but scared in case I damage the onboard charger. We brought it to music festivals last year for Julie's straighteners :)

Viktor
Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2012  ·  #3
Yes..don't buy a Kipor...there's a problem with copyright and Honda will seize them whenever they get the chance so you stand to lose it at some point. I have a Honda 2.0i which was converted to run on gas by Edge Power Ltd of Crewe the UK dealers and which is both quiet and convenient as it plugs into the gas bbq outlet...additionally some campsites are migrating towards ONLY allowing gas powered generators on site.

I use it all the time now as a 'mains' source for a hairdrier, iron, coffee machine, air fryer, and I'm considering a small microwave....as I can't use these on the normal campsite EHU as they are too hungry the generator has been a great decision....(I thought initially I wouldn't use it much).

You plug it in, press the gas primer and a couple of pulls and off it goes....stop it by turning off the gas at the cylinder....that way all the gas is exhausted.

Sound level wise at standby sounds like a small radio controlled plane engine - quite quiet, but on full load like a small 4 stroke lawnmower.

Here I am at Windermere last month enjoying a machine made coffee -
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Deirdre
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2012  ·  #4
Thats what is so great about this site, there is always someone that is full of knowledge, thank you Vicktor (ok Ally the Sinewave thingy part is good) but Im sure as Julie has already explained, straight hair is very important.... ok its a girly thing. Vicktor what you have sounds perfect, where did you get it, roughly how much does it cost?

Dee :up:

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2012  ·  #5
I was lucky to get it off eBay....it was being sold by a member of the Wild camping Forum...I paid about £850 by the end of the auction...and I was in England to collect it lol.

I would imagine if you bought one Calor Gas could probably point you in the right direction, but Edge Power are ultimately the top dog. They changed my hose very fairly...probs best to ring them and ask them on second thoughts.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2012  ·  #6
Honda are by far the best, but for the length of time they are being used in a Motorhome a Kipor, Clarke or Wolf would be just as good, and many other makes.

I have had a Wolf one for over 10 years and has never gave bother, I know people that use Clarke with no problems.

I wouldn't be wanting to spend upwards of a £1000 on a new Honda Genny when I could get another for a lot less.

That type of money would buy a good solar panel setup. Of course each to their own :)

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.03.2012  ·  #7
before you buy a genny consider its weight, its like carrying another adult with you and if you are near your weight limit it may put you overweight. not a great prob here but europe could be costly.

if you drive some part of the day you will never need a genny to top up batts, and if its just for drying hair buy the wife a set of hairclippers and a number one all over will dry very quick !!!

Viktor
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2012  ·  #8
Indeed Bob it largely depends on what you go for because usually there is the extra weight of fuel for it too. Thanks why I would advise anyone considering a Jenny to go the gas converted route. Mine is only the weight of a small child.

However I originally thought I might not use it much either, but in reality I use it daily when touring. I bought a cheap 800 watt Breville microwave from Tesco Extra at around £55 (with a touch screen so there wasn't anything to get knocked off in transport), so I don't have to worry about the big initial current kick as the Honda 2.0i handles it easily.

Because it is so quiet I am able to use it even in the Motorwave Service areas on the mainland....get some smiles though!

Here I am really roughing it in England a couple of days ago lol!
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.