RV exhaust silencer

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

RV exhaust silencer

· 
Posted: 09.09.2014  ·  #1
Looks like I am going to need a silencer soon, any of you guys sourced one in N Ireland for a Workhorse chassis with the Chevy 8.1 engine ?

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: RV exhaust silencer

· 
Posted: 09.09.2014  ·  #2
Willie, I usually order from Rock auto, in the states. The parts are a lot cheaper there but the postage and tax will bring it up quite a bit. Although chevy parts are substantially cheaper delivered than parts for motorhome base vehicles here. I think the last water pump I bought was 47.00 all in when it arrived here.
Make sure you select FedEx international or priority and the parts arrive in 3-4 days. If you select consolidated or ups it can take up to 1 month and taxes and vat + fees have to be paid to royal mail before release. With FedEx the taxes and vat are paid to Rockauto and there is nothing further to pay.
Rockauto have quite a few warehouses throughout the states and care needs to be taken when placing multiple orders as various locations means multiple delivery charges. Try to order all from the one warehouse. This can be done by ordering the silencer first and then if you want a fuel filter go to fuel filters and look for one with a lorry symbol beside it. This means from the same warehouse. Adding additional items from the same warehouse that you require now or in the near future makes little increase in the initial delivery charge, so is cost effective.
A truck with a union Jack means that it is available from their UK supplier and is very reasonable delivery, ensure you have your location and sterling settings.
They may not list your coachbuilders individually but will have many big block vehicles you can select from. You will need to check against this for centre in out, staggered in out pipe, staggered and centre in out or 2 pipes in or out. Many silencers are directional inside so check that the in out combination are the correct way around. Finally your pipe size 2, 2 1/2, 3 inch or step up in size on the outside.
Sorry for melting your head :-)

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2014  ·  #3
I have had a look on Rockautos site, the silencers or mufflers as they call them are under the top tab of Tools and Universal Parts. The mufflers average £16 - £17 but because of the weight delivery adds around £45, then vat, should still be under £80.00

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2014  ·  #4
Thanks for all the information.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2014  ·  #5
Two new silencers installed complete with new tailpipes all stainless steel. Only got 21,000 miles on the clock and original mufflers rotten. Stainless steel option even cheaper than new originals . Excellent service and cost effective solution from "street racer" 21H Enterprise Rd. BANGOR. BT19 7TA
tel 028 9127 4111

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2014  ·  #6
Good man Willie, going for all new stainless next month myself.

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2014  ·  #7
Glad you're happy, they did a bit of work on my car, good lads. Nice to meet you on Friday, hope you enjoyed Donaghadee aire : )

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2014  ·  #8
Nice to meet you too Paul, maybe our paths will cross again. very happy with the work and the cost. Excellent service. got both silencers and tail pipes in stainless steel for the cost of one original silencer! There are more RV's in Ireland than you would think would be nice it we could have a meet sometime .

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2014  ·  #9
Well just go ahead and say where (not too far!) and I'll be there. I want to get away for a weekend before the winter closes in, maybe somewhere mid-Ulster for a few rvs and anyone else? What does anyone think? :-) :-)

will2020
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2014  ·  #10
I was thinking about heading away in the 5er Oct 17th&18th to Castle Archdale in Fermanagh as they can accommodate larger units no problem. I'm willing to try somewhere else if anyone has a suggestion. I've tried to book Kilbroney a couple of times after Pauls recommendation but is nearly always booked up far in advance.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2014  ·  #11
Large RV's, 5'ers- Shanogue is your friend, and cheap too ;)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.