Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

The Future 12 volt charger?

· 
Posted: 19.01.2012  ·  #1
Is this the Future 12 volt charger? new on the market still high on price but able to recharge 12volt batteries in 42 Minutes.

12volt High Output Genny

Ally
Founder
Subject:

Re: The Future 12 volt charger?

· 
Posted: 19.01.2012  ·  #2
http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/generator.htm
Because the current range of 12 volt generators do not incorporate a proper three stage battery charger they should only be used for bulk re-charging of a well discharged battery.

I don't suppose a good idea to be used all the time, but for emergencies when Wild Camping, would it do that much harm if used occasionally?

Viktor
Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2012  ·  #3
Do you actually use a generator to recharge your batteries anyway or do most of us carry them just to run the odd heavy current item for several minutes and of course for an emergency? ....I use mine primarily for cooking purposes - running a coffee machine or the Philips Air Fryer when I want something fast is like 20 mins or so and am not wanting to wait on the gas for something more mainstream.

This little baby is going to be pretty noisy as well but if someone thinks they are going to use a heavy duty item with an inverter they will be repeatedly rapidly draining and recharging their battery several times daily....good idea perhaps for a off emergency but I have my doubts as to it's usefulness against a 2.0i Honda genny.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2012  ·  #4
never used a genny, never needed one.

drive to the shop for milk and bread and batts charged again.

if you need a genny you need to look at your power consumption,even watching tv 4 hours in evening and lights on in winter still get three days at least with no problems.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2012  ·  #5
Have never needed an Inverter yet. When I go to music festivals, no EHU and locked in so no way of going for a drive. Not allowed to let engines run, not really supposed to have a genny running although I have done. Would never be near the Van long enough anyhow to sit with the engine running. One of these would be handy for a quick blast of power as usually away for a week.

At £500 though, I will do what I always do, use gas as much as possible, dry hair with a towel - remember those?:) - gas powered hair straighteners for wifey (or quickly run the genny).

Could batteries be adapted, IE: different plates to suit a fast charge?

JAG147
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2012  ·  #6
we have 2 batteries and a large solar panel on the roof, havent been stuck yet and have went for 10 days in France with no hookup.

have a 2100 inverter fitted too which cuts out before you drain your battery, but apart from her drying her hair, thats all we use it for.

sometimes put the slow cooker in the sink on route and plug into the inverter and when we arrive, hey presto, beef stew. nice smell in the van too.

never liked gennys, noisy, smelly things

Leisure Tech Solutions
Craic'er
Homepage: leisuretechnicalso…
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2012  ·  #7
Sterling battery to battery 45amp charger,, has intelligent charging sensing incorporated, this is handy when charging at heavy rates, comes highly recommended via customers having had the product fitted,,

Ask for customer fed back?? We have it !!
Works of the alternator, no added fuel required,,

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2012  ·  #8

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.