Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Winter tyres and Insurance

· 
Posted: 17.12.2011  ·  #1
Lots of discussion on other sites about the pros and cons of winter tyres, but I came across a post on Motorhomefacts which raised the question of wether you needed to inform your insurer.

The post linked through to a statement released by the Assoc. British Insurers which I have produced here.

www.abi.org.uk/information/con…tment.aspx

It has relevance because AXA require notification and they underwrite Dolmen who many of us use.

Worth looking at.

Davy

Subject:

Re: Winter tyres and Insurance

· 
Posted: 17.12.2011  ·  #2

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #3
Winter tyres or cold-weather tires have a greater percentage of natural rubber and silica to keep them 'soft' and reduce 'hardening' at low temperatures (<5°C) which is a characteristic of all-weather tyres. This 'hardening' contributes to reduced grip on icy roads.
'Soft' winter tyres have less grip, a faster wear rate and poorer stopping power at 'normal' road temperatures, as found in these islands with the exception of a few days each winter.
On balance, good quality 'all-season' tyres, manufactured for the type of climate we have here, would appear to fit the bill here better than 'winter tyres' as used in areas with prolonged periods of sub-zero temperatures and lying snow.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #4
Quote by baguette

'Soft' winter tyres have less grip, a faster wear rate and poorer stopping power at 'normal' road temperatures, as found in these islands with the exception of a few days each winter.
On balance, good quality 'all-season' tyres, manufactured for the type of climate we have here, would appear to fit the bill here better than 'winter tyres' as used in areas with prolonged periods of sub-zero temperatures and lying snow.

Soft tyres wear much faster but they have a far greater grip and stopping power when they are warmed up, they are pretty much useless when they are cold. So it seems strange that they are making winter tyres out of soft tyres.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #5
Quote by TeamRienza

The post linked through to a statement released by the Assoc. British Insurers which I have produced here.

www.abi.org.uk/information/con…tment.aspx

Did they remove it?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #6
Quote by Ally
Soft tyres wear much faster but they have a far greater grip and stopping power when they are warmed up, they are pretty much useless when they are cold. So it seems strange that they are making winter tyres out of soft tyres.

Soft compound tyres as used in Motorsport are a completely different proposition to winter tyres. The softness designed into winter tyres is for the purpose of counteracting the hardening which 'regular' tyres suffer from when the going gets very cold.
In tests, the cornering stability and stopping capability if winter tyres is less than 'regular' tyres in the wet and when road temperatures are not very cold.
Have a look HERE

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #7
Ahh, thanks for that.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #8
Nice find Colin. Some good info in that link

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #9

Viktor
Full Member - Likes the Underworld film series
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #10
I would have to agree that you are better off with winter tyres all year round...I switched several years ago to permanent mud and snow tyres for my 4x4 and found overall better road grip especially with our roads having the odd muddy section, or greasy area from tractors or people just parking wheel up on the verge. Now that I have the van, I got the manufacturer to put on winter tyres as part of the conversion.

As MH or Campervan owners we're going to experience more instances of soft ground than the average road user anyway.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #11
If the link is not working go to

www.abi.org.uk

Look on the right hand side about half way down for 'winter tyres reassurance' and then link through.

Davy

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2011  ·  #12
Quote by Viktor

I would have to agree that you are better off with winter tyres all year round...I switched several years ago to permanent mud and snow tyres for my 4x4 and found overall better road grip especially with our roads having the odd muddy section, or greasy area from tractors or people just parking wheel up on the verge. Now that I have the van, I got the manufacturer to put on winter tyres as part of the conversion.

As MH or Campervan owners we're going to experience more instances of soft ground than the average road user anyway.

We used M&S tyres on discoveries for years and found them to be great in all conditions. Ours had little places to screw in studs for extra grip in snow but we never had the need to use them.

I did a lot of beach sports then and they were good in softish sand.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.