jimbobwalton
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Dehumidify

· 
Posted: 10.10.2013  ·  #1
Hi All..newbie to motorhome and looking for some advice. I will be parking up the motorhome for the winter shortly. I am lucky to have access to a big garage but it has no electrical power so cant install a dehumidifier..any tips please? What else should I be considering

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Dehumidify

· 
Posted: 10.10.2013  ·  #2
Hi Jimbob,

You can get disposable dehumidifiers,or you could consider using the van(they are not just for the summer) :up:

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2013  ·  #3
do not use a dehumidifier

they will take moisture out of air, then van takes in more air,then takes moisture out and so it goes on, basically you are creating a problem.

when you visit the van open doors and windows for a while instead. dealers do not use humidifiers.

but best option is to carry on using van !!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2013  ·  #4
Make sure you drain all the water out of it in case of frost, And make sure the shed is rat proof, I heard of a new motorhome that had to be scrapped because rats got into during winter storage.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2013  ·  #5
I think I would prefer to use it rather than run the risk of rats occupying it.

Hunters
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2013  ·  #6
Use it! This is our first winter with a motorhome & I'm looking forward to taking her to get the Christmas shopping - plenty of room in the van so plenty of shopping :)

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2013  ·  #7
I met that lad who owned the rat infested van,

Not a pretty story but hope some body learns from it,

I'd say use van all year aswell, :up: :up:

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2013  ·  #8
Yeah certainly use it but I always keep a dehumidifier in her too. It's amazing the water that's in it. Have been doing it for years and everything is nice and dry when I go to use it.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2013  ·  #9
Do you seal up your vents etc when using the dehumidifier Jack or is the crystal type water traps you use?

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2013  ·  #10
Mark I bough it in B&Q and it's electric but quite small. I just put on the winter covers on the fridge vents. Leave the inside of the van nice and try.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2013  ·  #11
I got myself a kampa damp buster, Have had it in the van for about 2 weeks and it works really well, also I run the van for about an hour every other night and put a heater on (oil type) also take it for a short run at weekends up and down our lane

ciaran7568
My Motorhome: Swift Bolero
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2013  ·  #12
Jack the rev,
I'm a newbie 'motorhomer' first winter and the van is currently at the side of the house so it's easy to keep a good eye on it. A friend has a big shed and said I could store it there, but the rat story has put me of. You mentioned Winter covers? What are they, should it have got some when I bought the van? Do you turn the fridge off? So many question! All advice appreciated. Thanks
Ciaran

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2013  ·  #13
Ciaran, you can buy winter covers for the vents as they don't always come with the Motorhome. They are not expensive and can be bought at most Motorhome suppliers. Personally I would not dream of putting my Motorhome in storage as they are meant to be used all year round. Some of the best week ends we have had have had have been during the winter months when they are few folk around. There's nothing like being cosey in the Motorhome and rain lashing down on it. I have mine always ready for a trip away and it does it good. I don't understand folk who hibernate their motorhomes for the winter. I hope this has been helpful to you.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2013  ·  #14
I think its a whole motorhome cover CiarĂ¡n is asking about,

I have mine in a shed at rear of the house so I cannot comment on covers, but breathable is supposed to be the way to go,

But like jack ours is ready for the road at the drop of a hat,

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2013  ·  #15
The winter covers are an insulated cover which goes over the fridge vents, not all vans are supplied with them, mine wasn't. I only turn the fridge on before I head off and clear it out and off once I get home. Covering the fridge vents when not in use helps keep the cold damp air out of the van and means that any damp traps or dehumidifiers you use don't have to work as hard. While I agree with others that starting the van for a period and taking it out for the day or a short drive is the best thing for it, I have been guilty of neglect this past three weeks as I have been away and haven't done any of them, I will resolve that this week.

If it is the complete cover you are thinking of which goes over the van, I wouldn't bother as they mean that you will really neglect the van, use it and come spring give it a good top to bottom clean, that way you will know it inside out and can sort out any imperfections which you find.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2013  ·  #16
Quote by hillton9

I got myself a kampa damp buster, Have had it in the van for about 2 weeks and it works really well, also I run the van for about an hour every other night and put a heater on (oil type) also take it for a short run at weekends up and down our lane

Is starting it every other night for over an hour a bit over the top? I doubt if Motorhome Dealers go to that rounds with every van on their forecourts. I think if you take the van for a run every two weeks it is plenty and make sure to empty the moisture traps / crystal tingys, before driving off. If we are going out in the van we always turn on the heating and the Fridge the night before.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.