moomat
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes 709d
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Underbody spray on protection

· 
Posted: 09.06.2013  ·  #1
I have a 97 SWB Ford Transit which is a little fond of rusting. I've made some repairs to the inner sills and got it through the DOE. I'm now looking for a good product/s to for the under carriage.
It needs to serve 2 purposes:
1. Be thick enough to hide my workmanship (Riveted and welded plates on sills)
2. Protect or at least delay further rusting

I'm thinking of Schultz but maybe I could do something else before I apply this??
Also what sort of prepping would the area need?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Underbody spray on protection

· 
Posted: 09.06.2013  ·  #2
Just make sure it's clean before you spray it, Schutz is ok and great at covering stuff up but it can also create rust, if it cracks the water gets behind it and can't dry out, so a periodic inspection of it is a must. Schutz now contains waxoyl in it but I prefer waxoyl on it's own but it wouldn't hide/cover much.
If you have a compressor it is worth buying the Schutz gun, brilliant thing which comes with attachments to get inside sills etc - also works great with waxoyl.

rodney
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2013  ·  #3
Realise this is 3 months old but theres no substitute for spending the odd hour under the van cleaning and touching up with paint here and there! I'm about to take each wheel off off one by one and get each corner as new as possible and paint the towbar in hammerite while i'm at it!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2013  ·  #4
I also would be inclined to use waxoil over schutz, make sure the van is dry before using it , metal can soak up a lot of water in damp weather conditions. might be a good idea to put it in a shed with a heater for a while, be careful if using a blow lamp as you could start a fire easly.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2013  ·  #5
Funny how things jog the memory.
Waxoyl has been around for ever I can remember using the stuff about 1967 on a 1958 Beetle

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2013  ·  #6
Quote by CHAUSSON

I also would be inclined to use waxoil over schutz, make sure the van is dry before using it , metal can soak up a lot of water in damp weather conditions. might be a good idea to put it in a shed with a heater for a while, be careful if using a blow lamp as you could start a fire easly.

This.

Also, I'd go a step further by using a very good rust inhibiting primer before using a product like schutz. I've learned a lot about rust in the last 12 months. :lol:
The prime reason for underseal failure is poor surface preparation. What Chausson says above is crucial. Drying out the metal & rust before applying the top coating will extend the life of the coating. Failure to do this will only trap the moisture under the coating and the rusting process will continue beneath.
I used a product called rust bullet which effectively dehydrates the metal and expels the moisture as it dries. You can then paint over that with an underseal of your choice. Its a little spendy, but I'm expecting good results from it. :up:

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2013  ·  #7
However, I now would be inclined to do a test area if using a number of different underseals.
Was helping with strengthening a pick up frame this week, the original frame was steam washed etc. When the new supports were added on Tuesday they were cleaned and the frame wiped down with thinners. On Wednesday a coat of red oxide paint was applied to the entire frame and yesterday an attempt to stone chip ended in disaster because it reacted extremely badly and blistered back within a minute or two. We steam washed the residue off but the red oxide had become soft again and thankfully most of this has come off too, which will save on sanding.
I hate it when you end up doing the same job twice

moomat
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes 709d
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2013  ·  #8
In the end I let it dry in a shed for few days. I then used a can of hammerite direct to rust that I found and cleaned and painted it on and then sprayed on the schultz using a compressor. Held the van together nicely while we drove around Europe during the summer!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.